Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to open another shop I think??

Well it`s coming around the rainy season in Cali and myself and friend of mine are about to open another shop. Just wondering what you guys think about this. It`s going to be basicly an "express" type shop. No crazy correction, Just proper car washing, 1 stepping cars with a DA, and Interiors. I hate to do it as a cookie cutter type because I know all cars are different and it almost never works to use the same steps, machines, chemicals, ect.... I`m spread so thin as it is I`ll probably only be able to spend about 10-15 hours a week at this location while it gets going and my friend knows 0 about detailing cars but I`m gonna work with him for the next month or so very closely while we get a wash bay set up. You guys think this will fly? Or should I hold off for a few a months and really make sure my friend is prepared to get down on some cars? I see a lot of places that do the whole clay/glaze/wax thing and seem to do OK but in the back of my mind I wonder if I`m getting greedy instead of caring about what the customers vehicle actually needs(what got me where I`m at today) Sorry for the rant just figured this was def the best place to ask lol.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ItI could be a great lead in to your other upscale services. The friends lack of knowledge may be a hurdle. I can see the advantage to keeping it totally separated so there is no lack of expectations. They can always be informed things above "this" are done "here". The biggest problem is integrating two separate levels in one place. Once someone looks at "perfect" they want it but are not many times ready to hear what it costs. On the other hand people who have high expectations wonder why you`ve done a lesser job. Separate is good.
    Best of luck!
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to open another shop I think??

i definitely think there`s a market for a decent, but less expensive detail. like john said, separate from your upscale, high definition detailing is a must. i guess it really depends on your friend`s ability to learn quickly and still maintain your high standards of work. it`ll still be your business when you`re not there. keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you are being greedy.

Most people dont care about perfection,they just want clean shiney cars at a reasonable cost.

Your service really should cater to what your customer wants and is willing to pay for.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you written a business plan? If not you should do that first to see if it even makes any sense...be realistic too!

Post Thanks / Like

Joe I think separation is key. Not only in location but name also. Being known for doing high quality work at your main shop the last thing you want is for someone to say Orinda Detail did my car when it was done at the express shop and word get out that your work is really slacking now.

It`s all fine and dandy to have your clients know which shop to go to for the type of job they want or can afford but but my concern is that once it leaves that shop if there is a primary name association then chances are it simply becomes Orinda detailing. The customer is probably not going to be a salesman for you and reply when asked "It was done at Orinda Express but they do better jobs at their other location Orinda Detailing".

I can see your in a tough spot and it is going to take some thinking on your part for sure. You`ve spent a lot of time and hard work to build up your name and I can understand you wanting to use it.

Just brain storming here but if you really want to use your name it could be maybe something like ABC Express a division of Orinda Detailing. Going that route chances are the customer when asked is going to say "ABC did it" and if the new customer visits ABC and ends up wanting more then having your name on the sign may make it easier for the ABC shop to up sale them to a more expensive detail with the customer knowing they are still dealing with the same company verses a recommended company that the ABC guys just happen to like.

Kind of starting to ramble here but I think you get my main points.

Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Have you written a business plan? If not you should do that first to see if it even makes any sense...be realistic too!
    One of the most important steps in starting a small business and widely over looked.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Joe I think separation is key. Not only in location but name also. Being known for doing high quality work at your main shop the last thing you want is for someone to say Orinda Detail did my car when it was done at the express shop and word get out that your work is really slacking now.

It`s all fine and dandy to have your clients know which shop to go to for the type of job they want or can afford but but my concern is that once it leaves that shop if there is a primary name association then chances are it simply becomes Orinda detailing. The customer is probably not going to be a salesman for you and reply when asked "It was done at Orinda Express but they do better jobs at their other location Orinda Detailing".

I can see your in a tough spot and it is going to take some thinking on your part for sure. You`ve spent a lot of time and hard work to build up your name and I can understand you wanting to use it.

Just brain storming here but if you really want to use your name it could be maybe something like ABC Express a division of Orinda Detailing. Going that route chances are the customer when asked is going to say "ABC did it" and if the new customer visits ABC and ends up wanting more then having your name on the sign may make it easier for the ABC shop to up sale them to a more expensive detail with the customer knowing they are still dealing with the same company verses a recommended company that the ABC guys just happen to like.

Kind of starting to ramble here but I think you get my main points.

Good luck to you!
    I like this and actually was thinking along the same line. The new location is almost 50 miles from where I`m at now so it should be easy to keep them seperate and do what I do now with Orinda and Dark Side. I rarely do anything that takes more than 20 hours at Orinda but at Dark Side I never do anything that doesnt take 40+. So when some one wants something crazy I don`t even tell them I`m the owner I just say the other shop I work at does this kind of work want me to set it up for you over there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    One of the most important steps in starting a small business and widely over looked.
    I have a small team of consultants and what not that do all this stuff for me so I`m covered, I think that it is huge to have consultants breaking down your P&L statements for you other than your just the accountant. Before I got on board with ESI I use to think I was making money but the account doesn`t account for a lot of things that cost money. I`m always going to management training classes and buisiness class`s some times 2-3 times a month but always gotta learn more!

Post Thanks / Like

Going into winter and opening a new location to me seems risky. I have found that people here in CA do not think of car washing once it starts to rain. My part time detail biz falls to nothing to speak of in the winter unless someone is selling the car. That said you live in an upper income area and it might support more winter work
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    I like this and actually was thinking along the same line. The new location is almost 50 miles from where I`m at now so it should be easy to keep them seperate and do what I do now with Orinda and Dark Side. I rarely do anything that takes more than 20 hours at Orinda but at Dark Side I never do anything that doesnt take 40+. So when some one wants something crazy I don`t even tell them I`m the owner I just say the other shop I work at does this kind of work want me to set it up for you over there?

I have a small team of consultants and what not that do all this stuff for me so I`m covered, I think that it is huge to have consultants breaking down your P&L statements for you other than your just the accountant. Before I got on board with ESI I use to think I was making money but the account doesn`t account for a lot of things that cost money. I`m always going to management training classes and buisiness class`s some times 2-3 times a month but always gotta learn more!
    I think with consultants breaking things down you should have a good grasp of how the business should go. I`d give it more time to get your friend up to speed and for the rainy season to die down unless you don`t think it would affect the new business.

Where do you take business management classes at?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I think with consultants breaking things down you should have a good grasp of how the business should go. I`d give it more time to get your friend up to speed and for the rainy season to die down unless you don`t think it would affect the new business.

Where do you take business management classes at?
    Yeah the more I look at this the more I keep anwsering my own questions, it helps to talk it through THANKS GUYS! I guess main concern is Def my friend getting upto speed in time.
    Oh and About Us | Educational Seminars Institute . They mainly work with Auto repair shops but same things apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Actually a Feasibility Plan is designed to do exactly that. If after a 15-20 page Feasibility Plan it still makes sense, then do a business plan and go for it. Be aware though, many business that skip this step are not going to survive long term.
    Jeff
    Immaculate Reflections Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

You could always rename your shop as a different name, and say that it`s owned by the same company. This way people will know that you are catering to both sides. I think it`s a great idea to have two shops, but not to have the same name. Having a shop with the same name and doing lesser quality work will just ruin your reputation...
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Set up a DBA, or T/A....or however that works on the left coast.
    Robert
    RMS Customs LLC - Detailing and Custom Lighting Solutions
    www.rmscustoms.com

Thread Information