Post Thanks / Like

Tesla Motor payment problems

Hi there! I have a small detailing business and every Sunday night I go to the Bellevue Square mall to detail the Tesla Model S prototype for Tesla Motors. I have been doing this for the past 8 weeks and still haven`t been paid from any of the invoices I sent. They owe me over 800 dollars and the manager told me that they sent out two checks two weeks ago. I still haven`t recieved anything. I keep emailing the manager and now I just get no response. They have me set up as a vendor. So I was wondering what should I do/ what can I do? Please help!

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tesla Motor payment problems

Maybe this explains it.

Tesla Motors fourth-quarter loss widens to $81.5 million as it prepares to launch all-electric Model S sedan - San Jose Mercury News

Maybe small claims court?

If they are hurting, they are probably paying suppliers and salaries first. The reason being, if you cut them off they can get by or find someone else. But if a supplier of a critical part cuts them off, then they can`t build cars.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry this is happening to you

I think first off, I would not be Detailing the car/s any longer, until they pay you in full for the past 8 weeks.

Is there someone at Tesla that is at a higher level than the guy you are talking to that you can escalate this to?

Did Tesla sign an agreement with you to Detail their vehicle/s at the beginning of this?

Do you work off of a P.O. (purchase order) number for this work ? If so, perhaps you can take that P.O. number and email someone in Tesla`s Accounts Payable Dept. and see if they can tell you what is happening. At least see if you can get their "check nbrs" of the checks they claimed they sent to you, and perhaps give those check nbrs to someone in their Finance Dept (accounts payable) and have them put a trace out on those check numbers with their Bank.

Or maybe, they are going down for the count, and you are going to be on the short end of the stick. I hope this is not the case.

I live close to Bellevue Square myself, and would be glad to go down there with you if you need help in resolving this.

Let me know... PM me if you want

Dan F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rimtp07 View Post
    Hi there! I have a small detailing business and every Sunday night I go to the Bellevue Square mall to detail the Tesla Model S prototype for Tesla Motors. I have been doing this for the past 8 weeks and still haven`t been paid from any of the invoices I sent. They owe me over 800 dollars and the manager told me that they sent out two checks two weeks ago. I still haven`t recieved anything. I keep emailing the manager and now I just get no response. They have me set up as a vendor. So I was wondering what should I do/ what can I do? Please help!
    The first question I would ask myself, "is $100 dollars (possibly) a week worth the headache?" It does work out to $5200 a year, so that is a considerable amount (20 clients like this a week and your good if your a one-man team).

Have you detailed for them and received payments in a more timely fashion previously? Did you discuss their payment schedule previously? When I detail for Bugatti it can take a month to receive payment, many businesses work on a 30, 60, or 90 day payment plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd is exactly right. Most companies only pay their venders at scheduled times. They will not pay out weekly. There is a lot of work involved in the accounts payable department and it takes time to print out the checks for the vendors. (I helped out in the accounts payable department at my first job)

If you are concerned about payment or lack of it maybe you should consider a mechanics lien on the vehicle you detailed. You would have to look into the details and see if that is even a possibility though. I`m not sure it was meant for things like this but it may be an option

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd has a very good point. Every company including insurance usually have a payables cycle. If you miss a certain date you will be put in the next cycle. Do you have a contract or estimate signed with your terms of payment? If they have a different cycle you should have been notified.

Make sure all your invoices and estimates have contact info. You should even have a storage disclosure (in the event you need it).
    You cannot put a collectible lien with out terms stated and a signed estimate or invoice.(at least here) Also the same with storage(I know this isn`t valid in this case)

One more thing have you filled out a W-9 with them? I have never had a company even process my invoice till this was done. They will turn this over to the IRS as an expense.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I never had a real contract signed with them. I sent them an estimate before I started. I did fill out a W-9 and gave it to them before I started working. The manager told me that the first check will take a few weeks but after that they will come much faster. Then she told me that she told the billing department to pay on receipt. I have all my contact info on every invoice, I send her one every Sunday when I`m done with the job. All my invoices say "pay on receipt". It`s been two months now and I should have gotten at least one check.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rimtp07 View Post
    I never had a real contract signed with them. I sent them an estimate before I started. I did fill out a W-9 and gave it to them before I started working. The manager told me that the first check will take a few weeks but after that they will come much faster. Then she told me that she told the billing department to pay on receipt. I have all my contact info on every invoice, I send her one every Sunday when I`m done with the job. All my invoices say "pay on receipt". It`s been two months now and I should have gotten at least one check.
    You may send them an invoice attn: Payables. List every invoice and the amount. List also how far past due each is .

Ex:
    (date)
    Attn: Accounts payable (their name)

It has come to our attention that your account is past due. Below are your outstanding invoices. If payment has been sent please disregard.

Invoice #1. Amount. 60days

Invoice #2. Amount. 55days
    Etc.

Please give this your immediate attention

Any questions call ### ### ###

Thank you for your business

CC. Accounts Receivable (your business name)

Then call and follow up.

Just a suggestion maybe others could chime in and help refine this.
    Keeping good records of your contact will be key here. There are different credit bureaus for business to file with if you have to but you need records of your contact.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a PO sysytem when dealing with large businesses. I have a 30 day due date, then a 60 day due date and a 90 day due date on their bill when I give them, and it also states after 90 days it will be turn over a collection agency or my lawyer if the it`s not pay in full. Most dealer have a type of payment system that they paid on the 10th of each month unless their have a dept. in another state which you need to contact by phone or register mail. I would contact a lawyer first on what grounds you stand on in getting your money.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to the store at the mall. I wondered if it was an attempted dealer franchise or actually Tesla Motors. I wasnt sure. Especially being in that mall. I was really surprised when I saw it there. That is big $$ rental. If it is a franchise dealership, you will probably have to deal direct with them. If it is Tesla, then you maybe able to hit up their accounts payable as mentioned.

By the way, you do very nice work!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by screamng View Post
    I have been to the store at the mall. I wondered if it was an attempted dealer franchise or actually Tesla Motors. I wasnt sure. Especially being in that mall. I was really surprised when I saw it there. That is big $$ rental. If it is a franchise dealership, you will probably have to deal direct with them. If it is Tesla, then you maybe able to hit up their accounts payable as mentioned.

By the way, you do very nice work!!
    Tesla makes and sells their own cars. They are not franchised like Ford or other manufacturers. I emailed the manager and I said I needed a response on what`s going on or I`m not coming in Sunday. She said she`s been told the checks have been sent out but she`s waiting for response from AP. I even tried directly calling AP, left two voice mails and no call back. They got a loan huge loan from the government so I don`t think they`re strapped for cash.

P.S. Thank you Screamng! I work hard to do the best work. It`s kinda hard though since it`s a fake car.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered having a check waiting for you when you go in the next Sunday? Ask the manager to have one prepared for whatever sum you agree on (even if it is minus the 2 that are supposedly in the mail). You can call the manager back before arriving so as to ensure the check has been made and is waiting for you. This way you at least have some compensation.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Don`t do any other work for them until you are compensated...they are stalling..pure and simple. Tesla has yet to deliver any cars in quantity so their revenue stream is nil...all they have is expense at this point...and you are way down the list of payables....
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Thread Information