Thread: Finally!!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally!!

So I finally ordered the PC 7424XP and I can`t wait! But I do have a question, do you prefer steam cleaning the carpets or using an extractor?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally!!

Congratulations on your new machine !

I have both a Steamer and a Mytee HP60 Spyder Extractor, and I use both on really bad dirty, greasy carpeting, because the steamer will pressurize up a lot of dirt from the very bottom of carpeting and the heat will help loosen up the really dirty places so the Extractor can come along behind and rinse and remove all the gunk.

Now, this doesnt mean that you cant get by with just one of these tools or even use them at all, but in my humble opinion, to really get carpets clean short of pressure washing (which of course, you cant do inside, this is just the removable floor mats), this is the way to really get all the dirt out of carpeting.
    All you have to do is empty the recovery tank after extracting carpets and see all the dark brown water come out to know you really cleaned them well.

Now, some carpets may not need all this work, but here in the Northwest, the land of Composting material EVERYWHERE, I need to do it this way to give my Clients the best possible results.

A Steamer, if its a more expensive one, will also be able to clean the Dashboard, vents, blow out all the gunk in the door pockets, clean all the spilled latte`s from the console, etc., and clean leather and other things as well.

An Extractor that is just an extractor, will only be able to clean and extract carpeting, cloth seats, etc., rinse and REMOVE the gunk from the surfaces..

So, hope this helps you out with your project !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rimtp07 View Post
    So I finally ordered the PC 7424XP and I can`t wait!
    I have been able to obtain excellent results with my PC. It`s a good machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the new machine. As you get familiar with it you will really enjoy the amount of correction you can do and the end results.

Sorry I can`t answer your carpet question but I see a lot of people talk about extractors. If I did this for a living I would without a doubt own a carpet extractor

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats of buying a great machine! As for cleaning carpets, if you are only maintaining your own vehicles something like the Bissell Little Green Machine should be more than capable of removing most stains you will come across. It would even be good if you are doing a few details here and there on the side. Steamers are great tools, but the good ones can cost big bucks, so unless you are doing a good bit of detailing I wouldn`t mess with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my porter cable 724xp. It is has made detailing so much easier and so easy to use.

I have heard a lot of people use the little green machine and rather like it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blk5.0 View Post
    I love my porter cable 724xp. It is has made detailing so much easier and so easy to use.
    And it is one of the most reliable machines on the market. I have an XP and an origincal PC that is 10 years old that still works like the day i bought it!

Post Thanks / Like

You made a good choice for a polisher. I don`t have a steamer or carpet extractor, but I would really look into a steamer. They have many uses unlike a carpet extractor that only has a couple.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my PC. I often thought of buying a back up but decided not to because it is just such a reliable machine.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on getting a PC! Your going to love the work you can accomplish with it and amazed your family and friends. I have a Little Green machine that I use when I need to ( Few Times ) and most of my work is done by hand. A few members here on the forum have both machines and will be helpful on this question. Pictures are in order when you get the time to work on your ride.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I like using the PC without the side handle. I can cup my hand over the top on the head and I get a better down pressure "feel". When you remove the handle the top cover WILL come off unless you put a screw in the cover to hold it on the machine. The screw goes in the same place as the handle. I got the screw for mine at Ace Hardware. Good and solid. Works GREAT!

Did you notice the black Sharpie line on the 5" backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

whenever this discussion comes up I always recommend steamer over extractor. I do not own an extractor (although I`ve used one), but I own a vx5000. I find the steamer is so versatile it`s a much better investment. Not only do I use it for detailing but also a wide variety of stuff around the house.

There are occasions where an extractor WILL outperform a steamer. However, a steamer (using hot water injection feature) + shop vac and it`s pretty close. just takes more time

regarding the PC - I also remove the handle and hold the unit on top. I find I can control the machine better with less vibration
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I have Porter Cables 7424 1st generation. I`ve had it for 12 or so years and this machine actually spent 2 days completely submerged in water due to flooding conditions in my area.

Over several days I was able to dry this machine completely and by the grace of God it worked perfectly.....that was 6 years ago!

While my Porter Cable 7424 is no longer my go to dual action polisher, I replaced it with a Flex 3401, I apply 99% of all my sealants and waxes with it.

When this polisher does die, and like all power tools they do, I`ll replace it with a Porter Cable 7424xp....

My Polisher Lineup

From left to right

• Porter Cable 7424
    • Makita 9227
    • Flex 3401
    • Flex PE14-2-150

Yes, I keep my tools clean and the Porter Cable is the machine that spent 2 days as a submarine...

I prefer a hot water extractor for cleaning carpets and upholstery.

BobbyG

Thread Information