DA Paint Correction Solutions:

We now have so many new combinations with the DA polisher that it has become the tool of choice for many high end auto detailing professionals. The new trend in the industry is finally becoming something we can all use, Dual Action Polisher Paint Correction Solutions! I have been teaching my 3 combinations for many years now as follows:
1. Choice of Equipment
2. Choice of Pads
3. Choice of Chemicals

When evaluating paint correction, these three combination choices have proven to be invaluable to many of my students, pros and others in the auto detailing industry. The first combination is choice of equipment. And the number one choice that a lot of paint correction experts are turning to lately is the Dual Action (DA) Polisher. And, in a lot of cases, replacing the paint correction staple in the industry, which is the Rotary Buffer!

The DA Polisher has, (for years), always been considered a lightweight tool for minor paint correction and application of finish products. Now, in the past couple of years we have started to see, what we refer to, as huge game changing advances with the DA Polisher! I think Meguiars and Jason Rose has made it clear and is the “first” to prove that their DA orbital polisher can get you the results you are looking for!

Keep in mind and don’t confuse just any ole orbital polisher as the ticket to success! There are really only a couple of DA Polishers I would recommend to anyone. My first being the Meguiars tool.. It is an amazing piece of equipment that has been gaining market share in a big way for the past 3 years.

While the rotary buffer and rotary buffing techniques has been the choice of many, it has a few negatives that have to be considered in order to perform paint correction with results! The learning curve is huge. Not just anyone can pick up a rotary buffer and end up with the right result. There has always been a high risk of paint damage associated with rotary use. And, without knowing paint history on vehicles i.e.,(old paint, over buffed paint, previously sanded paint, repaints etc.), that greatly increases the risk of damage.

I started toying with the idea of using the DA for more hard core paint correction about 4 years ago. Once Jason Rose and Meguiars introduced me to Ultra Cut M105 Compound and their M205 Ultra Finishing Polish I found that I was having a lot of success with paint correction using their DA polisher along with the right foam pads. It was very cool…

There was instantly a couple of things I was able to do with Meguiars M105 and the use of their DA polisher. I now had the ability to back off on the use of the rotary buffer. With the advances in good foam pads along with the Meguiars M105 compound I was very impressed with the results I was achieving on many of my paint correction projects using the DA polisher.

Paul Weidler, (friend and industry pro), and I used to work and test late at night at our shop in San Diego California. We would play, test and experiment for hours just seeing how much we could do using different combinations with the use of the DA orbital polisher, foam pads and our go to choice of chemical, Meguiars M105 and M205 were among our first choices.
Paul and I would close the doors on the shop. Grab our clip boards and marker pens. Set up our white board. We would crank up the lights, crank up some great music, tape off sections of vehicles and test, test and test again… We were always looking to simplify the paint correction process. We wanted to offer our students the opportunity to get paint correction results, without the learning curve associated with the high end rotary buffer.

We were testing the DA newest technology using different DA polishers and new techniques on just about every type of paint we could find. From single stage paint to clear coat top coat. From repaint to OEM, from old paint to new paint we kept coming back to the same conclusion! It was obvious we were getting great results without the use of the rotary buffer.

On several occasions we would enlist the added benefit of having Jason Rose from Meguiar’s to stop by and jump into the playing field with us. With his expert advice on chemical usage, the proper pad choices and different technique suggestions Paul, Jason and I were able to introduce some new training techniques that has proven to get our students out there producing some terrific work almost instantly.

The all new DA Micro Fiber Paint Correct System was introduced to us back in 2008 by Jason Rose which became the beginning of a new era in paint correction. Paul and I were asked to start testing this new system and, from the start, it was nothing short of amazing. Meguiars and Jason’s idea was to simplify the paint correction process. This was like a gift from the Detailing Gods themselves! I think Paul and I were ready to add it to our arsenal the day he showed up with the proto types!!!! I guess the rest is history and we all know the development of the new Meguiars DA System has been truly very successful… So much so that Paul and I use this system as our first choice over all other solutions available today. "Of course with variables taken into consideration"…

The all new Meguiars DA Micro Fiber Paint Correction System is one of the biggest game changing systems we have ever seen in the history of the paint correction business. One great DA Polisher, two fantastic pads and two chemicals that compliment the entire system! Thus, creating one great paint correction program that is easily taught and duplicated.

As a trainer it has been so great watching our newest students, with absolutely no experience, start getting results, on some painted finishes, that has taken some of us years to achieve. The smiles and excitement we see after introducing the Meguiars DA Micro Fiber Paint Correction system is worth its weight in gold.

Yes, the DA polisher and DA polishing systems are making huge advances in paint correction. We are seeing a shift in what we do and how we do it. We are seeing the DA polishing systems along with some great pad choices as a way to get things done quicker, and easier with extremely low risk and very high end results.

We are actually seeing less damage, very few swirls and holograms, a lot less hazing and marring, no mess and no clean up. We are now getting the results we are looking for in half the time it would take using traditional rotary solutions…
There are however some variables that need to be considered when getting involved in DA paint correction:
o The right choice of a DA polisher
o The speed of the DA polisher
o Pad choice
o The proper backing plate
o Pad Priming methods
o Correct chemical choice
o And of course proper techniques in arm speed and pressure

Also note, there is one aspect of paint correction that cannot be compromised! Which is, the art of paint evaluation! You must know paint and paint technology. You have to understand what you are “working on” and not just what you are “working with”… Paint evaluation and paint correction is and always will be an art. One that takes time to learn and perfect. Its always best to get professional training when it comes to paint correction and paint technology.

I have spent years to get to where I’m at today being able to look and evaluate paint before I implement and deploy a paint correction solution. Then, to be able to explain and translate this information to my clients and customers in a language that they understand and can relate with. I have spent my fair share of time in and out of paint booths just to be able to understand the paint technology industry. Which, in turn, has helped me in my career in a big way!

After all of this, am I saying the rotary buffer is no longer a useful solution? Absolutely not…. I would not consider my self or anyone else a professional in the auto detailing and reconditioning business unless they know and understand rotary applications! The rotary buffer still has its place in the auto reconditioning business and I don’t think it will ever go obsolete. However, it is very nice to know its no longer the only paint correction solution we have available… There is a new tool in town and its proving to be a great alternative. : )

There are only a handful of guys out there that know exactly what Paul Weidler and I were doing and have been trying to do over the past several years. These are the kind of guys, the "professionals" that are trend setters, leaders and guys who are making a difference in our industry.

The DA polisher and the new DA polishing systems are here to stay. They are working and working well for many of us involved in the professional paint correction process. Be sure to check it out, I’m sure, you too will be very impressed with some of the newest advances we have made in using the DA polishing solutions available today.

For any questions or comments please feel free to contact me on our website at The Detailing Pros Dot Com

We are here to help anyone wanting to learn more about this truly great business.

Mel Craig
The Detailing Pros