Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Detailing??

Unfortunately I have been laid off for a while now! I have been doing wash/waxing as a side job on the weekends now for a few years. The last few months I`ve done about 4 or 5 a week just at my house! It is just something I enjoy, and I will be the only around using Adam`s products for sure in my area.

What do you guys think about mobile detailing? I was kinda hoping to get some pointers from some people who do/done it. Maybe one of your friends or something.

What i`ve been charging at my house:
    Hand wash - $30
    Hand Wash/Hand Wax - $75
    Everything (even engine) - $100
    Would i need to change those if I start going mobile?

I know i`ll need an enclosed trailer, water tank, pressure washer, generator, and supplies

DO you think a 5x8 enclosed trailer will be big enough?

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked what the going rate is in your area? I`m not mobile but your everything seems low.
    Do you clay before wax? If you do use a mild clay if your not going to polish before to prevent marring.

If you can list some of your abilities and process there is plenty of help to refine it. After that people can help with ideas on pricing/equipment.

One tip when doing engines. Always start the vehicle to check if any lights are on first. It could save you if someone didn`t notice it before.

By the way Welcome to the site.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Detailing??

Thanks man.

I claybar before every wax were it is needed. Right now I have Adam`s products for everything and PC kit even. Not planning on doing paint corrections or anything right now any way. I am planning on get some lower quality stuff for the basic washes and stuff.

I was gonna add $15 to the prices for the going to them, and maybe sell the Adam`s products as a a top of the line cleaning or like new for another $20 or so.

At home I:
    Spray engine and wheels and tires with APC
    Rinse off
    2 Bucket wash with Conditioner
    waffle dry
    clay when needed
    polish on darker cars that need it
    wax
    clean interior and leather
    Then put some conditioner all on the inside
    Undercarriage spray fenders
    condtion trim and tires with SVRT (engine if they want it)
    Clean all the widow last

I just use my PC kit on the wife and my cars. A few family members...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    One tip when doing engines. Always start the vehicle to check if any lights are on first. It could save you if someone didn`t notice it before.
    OUTSTANDING advice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgcmc View Post
    OUTSTANDING advice!!!
    Thank you.

One thing on packages. I separate them to Interior and exterior and offer a baseline combo. Engine is extra. I don`t touch an interior for under 100. If you want to know why I posted my checklist in the "anyone interested in checklists" thread. You can copy and paste it into word.
    It sounds like you do more work than what you charge for. I`m unsure of the time it takes you to do this. Understand cost of product, time spent, all equate to a price for service. If you are doing quality work with good product this factors in to your pricing. I`m only suggesting these variables because your interested in making an income. Your image and results are going to dictate your clients and success.
    Speed and cost are factors but never sacrifice quality.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man i do try to do the best i can on them all. The main reason i started kind of cheap is to showcase my talents. I`ve got my name out now and people know i do good work. I searched and there is only 1 other mobile detailer in Rocky Mount, NC which is a large town ,but poor town. That`s why i was thinking of getting cheaper stuff for the basic washes and maybe start the adams in at 150.00 to get it looking new

I take about 2-3hrs per car... what is your pay scale and packages

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 03z-71 View Post
    Thanks man i do try to do the best i can on them all. The main reason i started kind of cheap is to showcase my talents. I`ve got my name out now and people know i do good work. I searched and there is only 1 other mobile detailer in Rocky Mount, NC which is a large town ,but poor town. That`s why i was thinking of getting cheaper stuff for the basic washes and maybe start the adams in at 150.00 to get it looking new

Understand my prices are because of experience and following 100-150 Interior. 250 and up based on exterior condition. Those prices include materials. Correction adds more. Price is always based your market. I`ve done between 250 to 9k details.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the RDU area and understand your difficulty in Rocky Mount. It is a tough market. Some good thoughts in this thread about pricing:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-customer.html

You have the advantage of having little competition in your immediate area, but for the higher end clients you have more competition from further away. I will be in Smithfield tomorrow, roughly the same distance from me as Rocky Mount, for a black Corvette. Word of mouth will be your best advertising.

Your price/hour seems about right. I charge about $30/hour. But I often take 4-5 hours for a car for interior/exterior clean, decon & protect unless it is just a maintenance wash & vac. I simply don`t bother with a car if I`m not able to do it right. There is a delicate balance between selling yourself short and overselling what you do. At 2-3 hours there may be things you are missing or glossing over, but it sounds like they are getting a fair deal for the price.

Feel free to look me up if you ever come into the RDU area. (pm me for contact info.)

Post Thanks / Like

I know i`ll need an enclosed trailer, water tank, pressure washer, generator, and supplies
    Just to play devil`s advocate...do you really need all that? If you`re working at someone`s house (rather than in a parking lot somewhere), aren`t you likely to have access to their water and power? That makes your setup a lot smaller and gets rid of the enclosed trailer.

I`m not familiar with your area though, maybe you will be out in the "rough".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Just to play devil`s advocate...do you really need all that? If you`re working at someone`s house (rather than in a parking lot somewhere), aren`t you likely to have access to their water and power? That makes your setup a lot smaller and gets rid of the enclosed trailer.

I`m not familiar with your area though, maybe you will be out in the "rough".
    I can agree here. If you can use power and water go for it. Unless you have a way to pay for all of this outright start small with necessities. Debt will kill you. If you want to do this as a business remember its a marathon not a sprint to success.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I agree calculate the cost first, if you can afford the nice pressure washer and the nice generator then go for it, but it`s not required.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree. Being unemployed puts you in a more difficult position financially. One thing to consider is trying to find a part time job to help sustain everyday life. Pick up just what basics you need for mobile detailing. Then you can detail during your free time and all of that money will not have to go towards sustaining life. You can take a percentage of each detail and put it towards improvements.

I started brainstorming for my detail shop when I was unemployed and it was a little overwhelming. Luckily, I went back to work full time at a pretty good job. I can now detail in my free time and all of the money made can get put back into the business. Although I am doing it part time, I feel the company will grow faster because of this. There is also less pressure, which makes it easier to focus on the right aspects.

Rates are all about demographic. My prices are not set in stone, and I do not advertise them for this very reason. I have some basic packages with accompanying "starting rates", but every one has plenty of room for upgrading AND downgrading based on the individual customer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i agree about using there water and electricity, but there is no telling really were i`ll be from day to day. So i would like to be able to take it if needed!

That is also what i was thinking of letting them call me first to see what they want out of it before I have a set price. I`ve been doing this on weekend for year or so now, and it just what i enjoy so why not make a crack at it. BETTER than not trying!

I see used trailers on craigslist all the time, and little honda generators as well. As for the PW I`m gonna get a little 2000psi electric one, they are more than enough and are 1/2 the price as gas ones.

I know that all start-ups are gonna be slow to start with...

Post Thanks / Like

again not gonna be posted anywhere will discuss when they call...but just to keep my head straight

Basic Wash and dry $40 + $15 to just clean the inside (Not more than an hour or so for those)

A wash with full interior detail $75 (Maybe an extra 30mins)
    A wash and wax (meguiars or pooboys) clayed where needed $100(another 30mins) + $15 for the inside clean
    A wash and wax (meguiars or pooboys) clayed where needed and full interior detail $135

A straight Adams detail to like new $200

+extra $15 for the engine detail to all of them

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information