Post Thanks / Like

City Regulations on Opening A Shop

A local high end/tuner/performance shop for A LOT high end clients around the Houston area has agreed to lease out 1400 sq ft space for me.

A few things I`m worried about. The building was built in the 1930s, so I`m assuming it`s "grandfather" property.

1. Do I need to install some water reclamation or sand trap system? This is a very expensive option, $30k. Unless, I register as a paint correction facility and not a Car Wash facility?

2. From what I heard, because it`s a grandfather facility, I don`t need to install any of these water reclamation or sand trap systems?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: City Regulations on Opening A Shop

Ask the city not us. They are the source of the information and the ones that will enforce it.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to ask others too in a similar situation. Sometimes city laws are not uniformly interpreted and enforced (some gray area) depending on who you talk with. That is, if you do not like the answer you can keep poking.

For example, when doing work on older structures there is always some interpretation on how much you need to bring it up to code (electrical, plumbing, etc). There are good inspectors and not so good (just out to make you miserable)..ask any remodeler.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I buy and lease real estate.

When I buy a property, before the transfer takes place, I am obligated to bring the building up to code. I am also responsible for regulating the industry that takes place inside my leased space. The space is also required to have a fire safety inspection prior to taking possession. Most fail the inspection and require updating.

Water reclamation, sewer back up prevention, back-flow devices, etc. are usually required if not already present.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to deceive the city about what you are going to do in the building. If you`re going to wash cars, you need to let them know you`re washing cars.

Misinformation is the first step to prosecution and washing cars isn`t paint correction.

Thread Information