Post Thanks / Like

Getting Started The Right Way!

Getting started in the Auto Detailing Business is not hard to do. Nor does it cost a lot of money. However, just like any business it needs to be done right! Most people who get started don`t set up the business correctly in the beginning stages and end up either loosing or completely folding up shop. We know that a large percentage of detailers fail within the first 18 months of getting started.

There are two main reasons for this challenge. One, is they don`t know how to run a business and don`t have enough knowledge to keep it up. And Second, they are usually very under capitalized to support their business until they do learn how to make it work. Basically, they run out of money before they make money. Very common in many businesses today.

The Automotive Detailing and the Automotive Aftermarket industry is one of the fastest growing business opportunities in the world today. Because of its simplicity, low start up cost, and the training programs available today, analysts are predicting that this industry will grow to over 10 billion dollars per year within the next 2 to 5 years!

Because of this very fast growing trend and considering the economy’s unpredictable state many people are looking at the Auto Detailing and Reconditioning Industry as the wave of the future and a very viable and lucrative business that generates huge profits!

Getting started in the auto detailing industry is easy and affordable with almost an instant return on your investment and a fast way to generate a very healthy income.

However, it is vitally important to get it started right. And with the right support system in place to help you grow your business. Just like any business, this is a business that can be very profitable and very enjoyable to put together.

My number one token of advice to anyone looking to get started in the auto detailing business is to get as much professional training as you can! There is no substitute for advanced auto detail training.

Any person getting educated to go out into the business world has a much higher success rate. Just think of it this way: If you want to be a great Lawyer or Doctor you need to go to a great school and get educated. If you want to be a contractor you need to get a contractors license. And, if you want to be a hair stylist you have to go to school, get your license and find a salon that you can do your work in.

None of these types of businesses allow you to be in business unless you get a license, go to school and get the proper training to perform your services.

The auto detailing and reconditioning business is much the same. If you get started with the proper training and education your chances of success are greatly increased.

There is a lot more to getting started in the auto detailing business then knowing how to use the equipment, using chemicals and getting a car detailed.

Just like any business there are financial considerations, books to keep, contacts to be generated, Insurances and permits along with sales and marketing concepts to be put into place in order to grow your new business venture.

Getting started in business should be a decision your confident in making happen. Be sure to do your research, get educated and find out just what it takes to get a great return on your investment of time and money.

If any of you need help or would like to know more about what I do then by all means please feel free to contact me. We are raising the bar, getting people started in the business the right way. I see so many of our students in their year of business have great success!

Hope this helps put a bit more perspective on getting started in the Auto Detailing Business.
    The Detailing Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting Started The Right Way!

Mel,

Nice writeup and spot on!

For some reason to the uneducated there`s a mist of complexity that cloaks automotive detailing and I think it comes from an overwhelming number of products, pads and a combination therein.

When I mentor someone the first words from their mouth is; I`m so confused regarding which product to use when. As I mentioned, given the shear number of products offered from each manufacture it can be a bit intimidating..

I generally start with the basic steps.

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Compound
    4. Polish
    5. Seal
    6. Wax

There "is" a wealth of information available here. Take the time to read and familiarize yourself with some of the basics.

Everyone starts off as a beginner but with some reading, questions, and trial, error, and practice you`ll be amazed how much you`ll be able to do. After reading and understanding some of the basics, the more hands on your are the quicker you`ll build your knowledge and gain experience.

Try not to become overwhelmed with all the products as you`ll only become more confused and at the same time broke if you try to buy them all. Pick one product that will satisfy each step above and begin but above everything else make detailing enjoyable.

Once the shroud of complexity and secrecy is removed the beginner quickly gains knowledge and experience. If he decides that detailing is something to do full time it`s easier than you might think...

• Quality Work
    • Friendly Service
    • Competitive Pricing
    • On time completion

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Mel,

Nice writeup and spot on!

For some reason to the uneducated there`s a mist of complexity that cloaks automotive detailing and I think it comes from an overwhelming number of products, pads and a combination therein.
    From what I have read about Mel`s classes and gathered from listening to his radio spots is that he focuses on running a successful business and less about the technical aspects like how to prime pads.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Mel, I got the email.

You have mentioned low pressure washing a lot. What products are you recommending?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. Thats good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Contrary guys. My classes do focus on the technical aspects as well as how to run a successful auto detailing business and yes, even how to prime pads!!! LOL... I`ve been detailing and teaching high end advanced detailing and reconditioning techniques for my students and other pros for a very long time...

Anyway, I do have a very unusual, but successful way to detail with my low pressure system. Its not just one chemical or one piece of equipment. There is actually 3 steps in my system and its an amazing way to get a perfect end result and in record time. After my series of how to get started in business that I putting up on the forum, I may go ahead and share my low pressure system with everyone here on Autopia Car Care... I have detailers all over the world who have switched over to the low pressure system with great results, extremely happy clients and getting vehicles done in record time.

And for those of you who have an interest, our auto detailing training programs are extremely high end and very comprehensive in all areas of the auto detailing and reconditioning business. We teach proper techniques in buffing and polishing, correct pad and chemical choices and speeds of equipment as well as the right choices of equipment.

We teach a lot about paint technology, paint defect removal along with paint maintenance control once the paint has been restored. We also focus on all the different sub-straights like Metal and Steel, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum and fiberglass etc. and how each of them react to different heat we apply with our equipment, pads, chemicals and techniques! We teach the difference between hot water extraction and steam, we cover all aspect of the different fabrics, carpets and leather. How to distinguish between simulated leather and real leather. How leather, plastic and vinyl are made and how to properly care for these different surfaces! We get very involved in proper wheel maintenance and wheel polishing. The difference in many types of wheels today and how they are made and what they are treated with. Rag top care, and many other very dynamic issues we face with today and yesterday`s vehicles!

We actually spend only one day on the business side and the rest of the week on the hands on, high end technical and the complexity of professional auto detailing and reconditioning systems and procedures. I teach what I would consider some of the best systems and procedures in the industry.

Im 53 years old, I`ve been detailing for over 36 years! I have been all over the US and many other countries to train teach and motivate people in the art of high end auto detailing and reconditioning. I`ve been fortunate to experience professional detailers from all walks of life. Sharing our trade and learning from both directions. Work with enough detailers and your bound to see just about everything being done, both good and bad.

I spent several years learning how to paint, how paint is applied and all the different types of paint available. I`ve mixed my own paints, custom and OEM. I spent a lot of time in spray booths so that I could be the best at my paint technology and paint correction trade! I hung around some of the best painters in the country and learned what it takes to make paint look great and last forever!

I have been invited by Ford, Dodge and most Recently Mercedes Benz in Germany at Automechanika 2011 to work with their recon divisions on how to properly care for today modern vehicles! I learned the trade from the ground up and also both my brothers who in their time were two of the best detailers in the industry traveling the show car circuit and doing some of the finest automobiles in the country.

The Radio Show is a very big hit now and I want to make it clear that it is not designed as a high end teaching eliminate but more of a hot topic, tricks and tips with some humor and excitement for everyone listening. The radio show is now being listened to from all over the US and now 32 different countries! The show is getting rave reviews and we are excited to put it out. We have Jason Rose and Chris Jankowski going to be doing the next several shows with me so get your seat belts on. We have some very cool topics we are cutting loose on next week. Wait until you hear what Jason Rose from Meguiars is going to be sharing! Friggin Awesome stuff... LOL...

Im very stoked to have been invited to share on the Autopia Car Care forum and will do my best to be sure I can help any of you in anyway I can. I hope too, that I continue to learn from all of you as well. Im getting so stoked to see so many people taking a real serious look at the auto detailing business as a very viable way to generate a very profitable business and at the same time doing something we all love to do...

This business has a lot to offer so stay on your game, stay plugged into a good support system and may you reap some great rewards both financially and in your love of the art!!!!

Good luck out there!

MEL
    The Detailing Pros

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mel you have excellent points. "detail" is an understated word. Too many people forget that a detail is a clean up. It is not a reconditioning of a vehicle.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    Mel you have excellent points. "detail" is an understated word. Too many people forget that a detail is a clean up. It is not a reconditioning of a vehicle.
    There have been instances where wash and waxers have been shunned by those thinking it is not worthy of the term detailers.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information