Thread: First customer

Post Thanks / Like

First customer

I will be detailing my first car for cash sometime this week. Outside detail,wash and wax. Full inside detail, carpets cleaned, stains removed, everything. I told them $100. since its my first I figured that price was good. What do you think?

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First customer

I would ask these questions:

1) Can you deliver the results that will satisfy your customer?
    2) Will you be happy with this pay rate vs the time and resources expended?

If you answer yes to both of those questions then you have set a fair and equitable price for you and your customer. IMO your and the customer`s opinions are the only two that matter.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

For the work I plan on doing I wont be able to run a business at this price. Its my first paying customer. My prices will go up as I get better.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to remember is it`s easy to come down on price but hard to go up. One thing you can do is let the client know how much time you have in it. Let them know this is an introductory price to show them what you can do.

Just do your best to not sacrifice quality that`s what will make them come back and others. It will also justify your increases. Just try not to stay too low for too long.

Do a market study in your area, go through the phone book, look up websites etc. Find out what everyone else is doing and for how much.

Hopefully they already understand this and based on how well it turns out it`s ok to get tipped. If you always provide quality work and always work hard people notice.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bodezafa View Post
    For the work I plan on doing I wont be able to run a business at this price. Its my first paying customer. My prices will go up as I get better.
    Be careful with that thought process. I started out the same way and wish I hadn`t. Customers who are happy with the results will ask you back again, then change their minds when you tell them the new price. If it is a friend, then you can get away with it, but anyone else is risky.

It does take experience to learn how to estimate your time and set a price. You will likely not make as much per hour at first, but as you speed up your $/hr will increase. Discounts aren`t always a bad thing, especially when business is slow. Make sure the customer knows what the regular price would be and why you are giving a discount. (Multiple cars, friends & family, referrals, etc.) Quality work is the best advertising you can do, so the extra time is not always a loss. When I spend extra time on a detail, I simply view it as an advertising cost. Usually much more effective than any other form of advertising I could spend my $ on.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwgcmc View Post
    Be careful with that thought process. I started out the same way and wish I hadn`t. Customers who are happy with the results will ask you back again, then change their minds when you tell them the new price. If it is a friend, then you can get away with it, but anyone else is risky.

It does take experience to learn how to estimate your time and set a price. You will likely not make as much per hour at first, but as you speed up your $/hr will increase. Discounts aren`t always a bad thing, especially when business is slow. Make sure the customer knows what the regular price would be and why you are giving a discount. (Multiple cars, friends & family, referrals, etc.) Quality work is the best advertising you can do, so the extra time is not always a loss. When I spend extra time on a detail, I simply view it as an advertising cost. Usually much more effective than any other form of advertising I could spend my $ on.

Exactly!
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is, a bad detailer will think his work is good and call it a day. But a good detailer will sit there and critisize his own work and find little ways to make it better. Don`t be the first guy!
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Im doing this for a friends mom. Ill make sure I tell her this is not the normal price and not something available to the public.
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the input

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the customer knows what the regular price would be and why you are giving a discount. (Multiple cars, friends & family, referrals, etc.)
    Exactly! Don`t be a jabroni and give a discount just because you lack self confidence. Don`t attract the bottom feeders.
    Little Jimmy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Always quote first if you`re unsure of the situation. Get pricing in writing and always cover your own rear.

Post Thanks / Like

The car will be here tomorrow. Ill get pic`s before and after. Im excited!

Post Thanks / Like

Thread Information