Post Thanks / Like

Increased selling price after detailing

Does any one know if there is a study or info out there about how someone might be able to get more money selling a car that has been detailed VS not detailed?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Increased selling price after detailing

Try this out
    Google
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know of any articles per-say on the subject. One thing that I did learn from a guy who runs a higher end used car lot, is most people buy with their eyes. Your going to have a much easier time selling a car that is clean in and out and most of the major problems cleaned. Like the rugs, tires and wells, windows, etc.

When I get cars that are being detailed for sale, I always tell the customer that you are going to make the cost of the detail back in the sale. You can get more money because the perception is the car is in good condition
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    When I get cars that are being detailed for sale, I always tell the customer that you are going to make the cost of the detail back in the sale. You can get more money because the perception is the car is in good condition
    Key point. If you`re the one selling the car, perhaps you`ll have an example vehicle loaded with swirls nearby that you can show the buyer for comparison.
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This has been a portion of my correction work for years on clients DD`s. It all depends on how much is needed and the make/market demand of the car.

Had a client that I would assist in picking low mile cars just needing a good detail. He made a decent living even after paying to have every car detailed. These were cars in the 20k to 30k range market wise. Net difference was average 2k.

I`ve personally seen over 5k net difference on higher end cars.
    It can go even higher on collectibles.
    These were top to bottom in and
    out details.

As far as studies I believe most of that would be current market dependent. The people mentioned really study the market and know when to sell and what to buy.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Im just starting and wanted something I could show customers not just words out of my mouth. Ill just have to work on my salesmanship

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly Blue Book will tell you yes. If you look at values of used cars, it explains in there somewhere the difference between poor, good, and excellent condition. The main difference between good and excellent is mechanical stuff of course, as well as a proper reconditioning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bodezafa View Post
    Does any one know if there is a study or info out there about how someone might be able to get more money selling a car that has been detailed VS not detailed?
    Let me help you out. I have spent many years in the automotive business selling cars.

A smart seller, looking for leverage in the deal, will present the vehicle as clean and as close to new as possible INCREASE VALUE.

A smart buyer, also looking for leverage in the deal, will look for flaws that can be pointed out that either indicate work that will be required to restore the vehicle or past neglect in order to DECREASE VALUE.

It`s not that a detail in itself will make the car worth more than it books out for (in most cases), it`s that a dirty, stained faded what have you will be worth less than it could be worth if it was cleaned and polished.

Notice that I said smart sellers and buyers. This doesn`t apply to the dumb ones.
    Little Jimmy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post

Had a client that I would assist in picking low mile cars just needing a good detail. He made a decent living even after paying to have every car detailed. These were cars in the 20k to 30k range market wise. Net difference was average 2k.

I`ve personally seen over 5k net difference on higher end cars.
    It can go even higher on collectibles.
    These were top to bottom in and
    out details.

As far as studies I believe most of that would be current market dependent. The people mentioned really study the market and know when to sell and what to buy.
    i totally agree. i have seen this happen as well. i actually did this about 5 years ago. i had a car i took to dealership to get a quote on trade in value. dealership said they would give me $5500. i told them let me think about it. well i detailed it and waited 1 week and took it back. made sure i got same sales person. i got offered $6700. so that was an increase of $1200 for something i would have charged a customer $300 to do. i did this to show the dealership they can increase sale price by putting in alittle money into the car to have it properly detailed. in this case the dealership would have been able to make 4 times the amount spent on the detail. i did this cause i was trying to actually contract them to give me their detail work but they thought my prices were to high and that it would not add any value to the vehicles. the real kicker is because of how many cars the dealership would have supplied me i was gonna give them a discounted price and only charge them $200 which means they would have made 6 times that. they still did not go for it.

Thread Information