Post Thanks / Like

Advice on pricing

Hey guys... i`m new to this site (and to the detailing business). I am working on getting my business started and was approached by a customer wanting to get his big rig detailed. I have all my pricing all set up but don`t have any idea what i should be charging for this?? Any input from you experts would be greatly appreciated!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!!!

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on pricing

BBenninger, you say you have your pricing set, I`m assuming that means that you have your hourly rate down. Since this will be your first big rig, you are going to have to step out there and guesstimate your time for this and apply your hourly rate. Talking with your customer and establishing his expectations and your ability to deliver is going to be your only guideline on the first round. As you know there is a lot of real estate on those big rigs, be they Cat, Freightliner, International, Mack, Peterbuilt, Sterling, Volvo, etc. There is the paint, the stainless (fuel tanks, cat walks, saddle boxes), tires, wheel wells and then the interior (sleeper?). There is a big rig detailer over in an industrial neighborhood I pass by frequently I`ve been intending to stop by and try to chat with the guys (but there is probably something of a language barrier) about their work; just driving by it looks like they do excellent work.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Ive done several big rigs over the years and while they are sometimes fun to work on, they are in no way, shape, or form easy. Like Mr Clean said, there is alot of real estate and its easy to get overwhelmed and over look things. The truth is these trucks are on the road ALL THE TIME. Most of them get very little down time, the drivers practically live in them (think about what your closet would smell like with 2 weeks worth of your dirty socks in it). Add that to the fact that 80% of these trucks are lucky to even have regular washes, let alone polishing and wax. Thankfully, Owner Opertaors seem to take alot better car of their trucks and they will be the ones giving you the most business. As for what you should charge, no two semis are the same and you cant give a flat rate for them. Hourly is really the only way to do it and come out ahead. If your looking at doing a full blown show stopper detail, count on a few days worth of work. I would definatly find out what the customers expectations are for it because throwing a number like that at a customer is sometimes a deal breaker. Basically find out if the owner is looking for a $200 job or a $2000 job.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! this job is only to detail the interior. my husband actually has his own business and he polishes the chrome and aluminum. This is actually one of his customers. i will chat with him and see what his expectations are.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BBenninger View Post
    Thanks guys! this job is only to detail the interior. my husband actually has his own business and he polishes the chrome and aluminum. This is actually one of his customers. i will chat with him and see what his expectations are.
    That is really going to help you in your pricing and this first job will help you to establish a benchmark for pricing future jobs. Still customer`s expectations and your ability to deliver are keys to future business. Don`t make promises on which you can`t deliver when it comes to stains in upholstery and carpet. IME, they can be the most difficult depending on origin and how long they`ve been present. Hard surfaces are typically more predictable. Assemble your tools and chemicals and prepare to try different combinations. A good APC, carpet cleaner, perhaps an upholstery specific product, a vinyl/rubber protectant, leather cleaner, leather conditioner (I prefer to a one-step) a large variety of scrub brushes, tamping brushes, vacuum attachments comprise the very basic product/tool list.

And another tip. Talk to the customer about scents. You will be surprised at how many smell sensitive folks there are out there. What may smell pleasant to you and me can create a gag reflex (or headache) to other folks. Not a good way to impress a new customer and they will be happy that you considered this aspect of the job. Oddly enough it is the tropical scents (coconut/fruit) that are more offensive than a strong cleaner scent. I keep on hand a cleaner/odor eliminator product that doesn`t leave any scent afterwards just for customers like that.

If you win the job, be sure to come back and post some pictures and describe your process and products used.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Ive done several big rigs over the years and while they are sometimes fun to work on, they are in no way, shape, or form easy. Like Mr Clean said, there is alot of real estate and its easy to get overwhelmed and over look things. The truth is these trucks are on the road ALL THE TIME. Most of them get very little down time, the drivers practically live in them (think about what your closet would smell like with 2 weeks worth of your dirty socks in it). Add that to the fact that 80% of these trucks are lucky to even have regular washes, let alone polishing and wax. Thankfully, Owner Opertaors seem to take alot better car of their trucks and they will be the ones giving you the most business. As for what you should charge, no two semis are the same and you cant give a flat rate for them. Hourly is really the only way to do it and come out ahead. If your looking at doing a full blown show stopper detail, count on a few days worth of work. I would definatly find out what the customers expectations are for it because throwing a number like that at a customer is sometimes a deal breaker. Basically find out if the owner is looking for a $200 job or a $2000 job.

Understand too this could take double the product you anticipate.
    I could not elaborate better on what he said.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Thread Information