Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start

Post Thanks / Like

Where to start

I`ve been trying to figure out exactly what I need to get started. I want to start small because I don`t have a bunch of clients lined up and I still need to do some marketing. What I`m wondering is if I`m going to be offering basic services without paint correction what I really need to start. Also, do I need to worry about capturing waste water if I`m cleaning engines? I don`t want to dump a ton of money into equipment yet; I was hoping I could get what I needed and go from there as business picks up. So, if you were going to spend $1,000.00 or less to get started for a mobile detailing service. What would you spend it on? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where to start

I recently started my detailing business (actually got my LLC this year but started last year). If your not planning on offering paint corrections this is the basics of what you`ll need to get started.

2-3 buckets with grit guards
    Car soap - I personally like DP Xtreme Foam or Megs NXT
    Clay Bar - I currently use Adams Clay but there are tons of options out there
    Clay Lube - You can buy a dedicated Clay lube or use something like ONR diluted
    Plenty of quality microfibers
    All Purpose Cleaner - I have several of these
    Interior Cleaner - I personally like 1Z Cockpit Premium
    Interior Dressing - 303 Aerospace
    Degreaser - I currently use Castrol Super Clean diluted 4:1 for engines, tires, wheel wells
    Wheel brushes - daytona wheel brushes, lug nut brush, wheel well brush
    Tire dressing - DP Tire gel is my current go to
    Wheel Wax/Glaze - DP wheel glaze is awesome, but I also have some Wheel Armour which works well
    Metal Polish - Mothers Metal Polish or P21s Metal polish is what I currently use
    Windows - Stoners Invisible Glass
    Interior brushes - For vents and crevices
    Vacuum - I currently have a small vacuum I got at Lowes.
    Pressure washer - I currently have a $100 one I got at lowes. I`d suggest spending a little extra money and getting a quality one.
    Drying microfibers
    Leaf Blower - For assisting in drying
    A couple quality waxes and sealants - I currently use Collinite 845 for a wax and Menzerna Power Lock as a sealant

Depending on your mobile set up you may want to look into water tank, generator, etc. I offer mobile detailing but explain to my customer that running water and electricity must be supplied to me since I don`t want to invest in the water tank and generator (these can get expensive). I`ve never had a customer complain about this.

I`d suggest maybe picking up a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424xp or Griot DA. They make applying wax very quick and will enable you to practice paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on running even a small part time business insurance is a must. Accidents can happen to the best of us and one small mishap can ruin you in a heartbeat. I would also suggest investing in a DA at some point. I personally use a Griots and love it. Full corrections may not be something your interested in doing, but polishes like Poorboys Polish w Carnuba would benefit you a lot and don`t require extensive experiance with machines.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say start with what you know. If you`re not familiar with paint correction, I wouldn`t jump into that field yet. Create some income the best way you can. I`d still invest in a Dual Action polisher as it`s going to be your best friend for a while. Even if you`re just doing wash and waxes, you can still apply wax with the machine and cut your working time in half.

How long have you been detailing? What have you worked with in the past?
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    If you are planning on running even a small part time business insurance is a must. Accidents can happen to the best of us and one small mishap can ruin you in a heartbeat. I would also suggest investing in a DA at some point. I personally use a Griots and love it. Full corrections may not be something your interested in doing, but polishes like Poorboys Polish w Carnuba would benefit you a lot and don`t require extensive experiance with machines.
    From personal experience insurance isn`t exactly easy to get. At least not here in MA. I just got my LLC in Feb and I`ve been trying to get some insurance. I`ve talked to 5 different companies and none of them will give me a quote because I have not worked in the industry and according to them have no experience. Because they ask me what`s your past work history, so I state that basically it was a hobby that I took to a part time business. So, they say oh well you have no experience and it`s too much of a risk for us.

So currently I`m operating with no insurance until I get enough "experience" for an insurance company to give me a quote.

Post Thanks / Like

So the insurance companies require tangible employment proof in the industry?
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John@Autopia-Carcare.com View Post
    So the insurance companies require tangible employment proof in the industry?
    Apparently in MA they do. I know others have not had a problem getting insured. For some reason I can`t seem to even get a company to give me a quote!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJays View Post
    Apparently in MA they do. I know others have not had a problem getting insured. For some reason I can`t seem to even get a company to give me a quote!

Hmm..perhaps just tell them you`ve been doing it for X amount of years. Maybe try to educate them as to what you do is different from drive through car washes. They may have the wrong impression of what you`re looking to create in a business.

Good Luck either way
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm..perhaps just tell them you`ve been doing it for X amount of years. Maybe try to educate them as to what you do is different from drive through car washes. They may have the wrong impression of what you`re looking to create in a business.

Good Luck either way
    Yeah I`ve tried that. They want companies and references that they can call on. Which is ridiculous. It`s like I just started my business and I`ve explained to them my real experience even if it was just a hobby.

I`m going to keep looking but for now I`m operating with out it. Just being REALLY careful! And ensuring I have a stash of money for when something does go wrong!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJays View Post
    Yeah I`ve tried that. They want companies and references that they can call on. Which is ridiculous. It`s like I just started my business and I`ve explained to them my real experience even if it was just a hobby.

I`m going to keep looking but for now I`m operating with out it. Just being REALLY careful! And ensuring I have a stash of money for when something does go wrong!

post up a few show n shines here and then link them to this forum for your reference.
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

post up a few show n shines here and then link them to this forum for your reference.
    HAHA...I like that idea!

Post Thanks / Like

I say the key is to just get started. Obviously you need to have some basic equipment and knowledge but don`t feel like you need to run out and buy everything and all the latest and greatest equipment. If you do that it`ll be years before you turn a profit. Start with friends and family and gather some experience and just slowly work through word of mouth to gain clients, experience and more equipment!
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuddleston View Post
    I say the key is to just get started. Obviously you need to have some basic equipment and knowledge but don`t feel like you need to run out and buy everything and all the latest and greatest equipment. If you do that it`ll be years before you turn a profit. Start with friends and family and gather some experience and just slowly work through word of mouth to gain clients, experience and more equipment!

Great advice! I unfortunately last year spent WAY too much money on products etc. At that time it was all out of pocket. I probably broke even last year on the money I made detailing and the money I spent. This year is different since I already have all the products and tools.

Post Thanks / Like

How is it going for you out there now SeaJays?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to detail legally as a side job. I haven`t formed an LLC yet and not sure how to determine if you should form an LLC or incorporate??? Is that a question for an attorney or an accountant?
    I know I can get insurance as I`ve already checked into it. I already have the tools and chemicals. The part I struggle with is that I`ve cleaned cars all my life but detailed seriously for about 3 years now for friends and family but before I really "get started" I feel like I should take some "professional" lessons or get some "professional" training. Maybe I`m not giving myself enough credit. I feel confident that I can start but just because I haven`t received any official training I feel less confident.

I`ve searched and all I`ve found is training for $2000-$3000 and I can`t afford that. Do you advise that I just go for it if I am comfortable? I do the two bucket wash method, clay, polish, I`ve used CG EZ Creme Glaze and love BFWD. My cars are not perfect but I think they look great. I know you cannot achieve 100% correction normally. I used PC7424 and Meg`s MF Correction System. I`ve used Surbuf pads with M105 all successfully. I`ve detailed engines. I cleaned interiors and restored headlights. Don`t plan to use any rotary buffers. I treat someone else`s car like my own. I don`t want to do more than 1 per day. Should I just go for it? Please share your opinions. I wanted to hang out with a local detailer but can`t find anyone to ask. I would like to even watch a detailer in action so that I can see if I`m doing things the same way. Please help!!!
    Thanks Everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information