View Poll Results: Do you work alone or have employees?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just me

49 71.01%
  • 1-2 Employees

16 23.19%
  • 3-4 Employees

2 2.90%
  • 5+ Employees

2 2.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Professional Detailers Poll

I have been in the detailing business for more than 25 years total now and have gone from a "one man show" to a full on shop with 10 employees ........ and then back to just a few employees.

Since leaving California and relocating in Austin about a year and a half ago; I just recently decided to let the company grow on it`s own and let it take me where it may. I do absolutely no advertising and my customer base is mainly referrals from existing clients. At this point we are booked solid for 3 weeks at just about any given time.

I am always weary of bringing anyone else in to this business as I feel my expectations are sometimes more than what I should hope for from an employee. However, I find that advertising for help wanted is best done when you hire someone who has a definite interest in the field or just a love of cars, period. It`s these enthusiasts who are the very best employees once they learn the art and have the determination to do as well as whomever taught them (me, in this case).

I have 2 teams operating 2 similarly equipped trailers in 2 different areas of the city. I have a "floater" who takes care of the smaller/simpler jobs like washes & wax/clay type jobs.

I also have an employee who I have contracted in and has a system based on his truck. He also has someone who works with him each day. We have a set amount per car that is paid to each employee, tips are shared amongst teams, 10% commission of any "up sells" are shared and mileage is paid to the employee who is pulling the trailer for the day.

To top it off, we have a couple of accounts that rotate each Friday. 2 employees will spend the day on site performing any one of 3 services offered to the employees of the company site. The same pay is given per car, tips are still shared. Average earnings for each employee on Friday alone will net each one $120 + tips (which average $50 - $75 per day).

To keep everything a happy working environment I will have the occasional BBQ at my place or give a bonus to those who receive praise from a customer.

Customers are happy, my employees are happy and life is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSPlati View Post
    I`m curious as to how you pay your helper? Is it minimum wage or per car depending on what type of service was done to vehicle...
    I have worked in many auto detail shops, most shops around here pay there employees by per car. the price per car most shops pay is around 40-60 a full detail. Most shops want there guys be able to bust out 2-3 cars a day.
    Wet sanding/compound, pulling seats and carpets is different story your looking at around 100 or more.
    Some shops around here do pay by hour. usually $10-$12 and hour.
    State of Washington law is if your employee has worked 40 hours a week and they made less then minimum wage you have to pay them at least minimum wage.(that could be different in other states)

now if you got a helper that just helps you to prep cars, clean the shop etc.. then your ok paying minimum wage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTreeDetail View Post
    I have been in the detailing business for more than 25 years total now and have gone from a "one man show" to a full on shop with 10 employees ........ and then back to just a few employees.

Since leaving California and relocating in Austin about a year and a half ago; I just recently decided to let the company grow on it`s own and let it take me where it may. I do absolutely no advertising and my customer base is mainly referrals from existing clients. At this point we are booked solid for 3 weeks at just about any given time.

I am always weary of bringing anyone else in to this business as I feel my expectations are sometimes more than what I should hope for from an employee. However, I find that advertising for help wanted is best done when you hire someone who has a definite interest in the field or just a love of cars, period. It`s these enthusiasts who are the very best employees once they learn the art and have the determination to do as well as whomever taught them (me, in this case).

I have 2 teams operating 2 similarly equipped trailers in 2 different areas of the city. I have a "floater" who takes care of the smaller/simpler jobs like washes & wax/clay type jobs.

I also have an employee who I have contracted in and has a system based on his truck. He also has someone who works with him each day. We have a set amount per car that is paid to each employee, tips are shared amongst teams, 10% commission of any "up sells" are shared and mileage is paid to the employee who is pulling the trailer for the day.

To top it off, we have a couple of accounts that rotate each Friday. 2 employees will spend the day on site performing any one of 3 services offered to the employees of the company site. The same pay is given per car, tips are still shared. Average earnings for each employee on Friday alone will net each one $120 + tips (which average $50 - $75 per day).

To keep everything a happy working environment I will have the occasional BBQ at my place or give a bonus to those who receive praise from a customer.

Customers are happy, my employees are happy and life is good.
    It sounds like you have a great business sense and run a nice operation.
    Little Jimmy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Running a business is not easy and never has been. You will have ups and downs and you will have employee struggles, all businesses do... Im stoked for you and it sounds like you have great business. Keep doing what you are doing. If you happy and if your employees are happy and as long as you are making money life is good.. Even sounds like when you do hire you are very good at it.
    The Detailing Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great advice for running a business.
    Just to add to that My brother In-Law wanted to start his own business and since he was a car nut. I advised him that if I was to help he should stay with something he loves.
    So we started a Paint Protection business here in Australia.
    Still going after 7 years and looking to expand now.
    So it does make a difference when someone likes what they do.
    Appreciation and Aknowledgment also go a long way
    As does money
    But sometimes a BBQ,Half a day of with pay a simple
    Thank you helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information