Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Additional Heat for Shop

I`ve been working on heating my shop lately as well. This will be my first full winter and while my location isn`t temporary some of this may help you out. I have a 1600sqft shop with a 9ft ceiling. Last year while we were hanging the drywall I ran a 10kw 240v heater that has a dial thermostat(no temp just numbers). It did practically nothing until we finished the the ceiling, now it keeps it at a workable 60ish degrees if it`s above 20 outside. A big help was insulating the garage doors. Bare metal doors will wick the heat right of the room. I used 3 garage door insulating kits from Lowes to cover two 10x8 door. The kits were on sale for $36 a piece so it only cost a little over $100. I also use a kerosene heater on the cold days. Technically we should never use anything open flame and all our heater should be at least 6 inches off the ground but I only run this one if I`m freezing. Currently we`re finishing up with a new furnace. It`s a no-name brand but, it built by York so it should hold up well. It`s only a 15kw but, it moves 2200cfm. This should be enough to move the air around the shop before it has a chance to cool off. We are temporarily going to mount it on a plywood box in the shop and then later in the spring we`ll be putting it up in the attic. It only cost $500 which is the same or cheaper than most of the hanging heaters you see in Northern and other places on line.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Additional Heat for Shop

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I suspect expenses would be extremely high w/ this option.
    nah, can`t you see she doesn`t eat much

on a serious note, going back to the OP , if this is only a temporary place, then just use the current heater to keep the place comfortable during the day and just pay the piper. It`s not worth investing into equipment you may never need again unless it is something you could use. Use this place as a learning experience for your next place as for set up and requirements.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information