Post Thanks / Like

every deal with car dealers?

So I recently launched a home based business detialing cars, mostly random people from my ads or word of mouth have been my clientel and some who are now on the books for Aug. but I recently got involved with my girlfriend`s car dealer and so far so good. just wondering if anyone else has a gealer that calls them now and then for random jobs? do they pay well? whats a shop going rate? what do they expect for how much?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: every deal with car dealers?

Ive worked for dealerships for years. In fact I recently went back to work for one that I worked at then quit and started doing contract work for, then went back lol. I also worked for a Chevy and RV dealership, and do some side work for a few used lots around here. I`ll be the first to tell you that they dont pay great but if you do good work they can keep you busy. On most detail sites, dealerships have a bad rep and the detailers that work there have an even worse rep. I dont buy into that bs personally. There are 2 kinds of dealerships. The ones who care and hire quality employees and indepandant contractors, and the ones who could care less and hire high school kids as "wash boys" who dont know what they are doing. Every place Ive worked at, and the small lots that I do side work for are very picky and most of them know their stuff. If I miss something Im getting a call to come fix it (that dont happen often..just for the record lol). In fact my wifes aunt and uncle run a production shop that does nothing but dealership work and I`ll be the first to say that they are very successful and live very comfortably off of dealer work. As for prices, Ive said it before on here. Shoot for the moon and they will call someone else. Dont expect $300 to $500 per vehical because its not going to happen. Dealers will tack this price onto the car, and if they are neck deep in some used car to begin with after a bunch of repairs, bodywork, etc they cant pay hundreds more for a detail and still make anything. This is gonna suck to hear, but I play hell getting 150 for a car. Depending on your area you may be able to get more. The good part (if you look at it this way) is that 100% corrections arent nessessary normally. A good 1 step machine polish and a coat of wax and the dealers are usually thrilled. Engine details and undercarriage degreasings are more important to them than paint correction, especially if there were previous oil leaks. Of course a good interior detail is expected as well. Long story short, you can make some serious money doing dealer work, you just have to know what they want and then get a system down to knock them out in a timely fashion.

Post Thanks / Like

Mrclean81, I think you described the average car owner. They do not care about swirls. They want a clean car inside and out with some wax on it for show.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Mrclean81, I think you described the average car owner. They do not care about swirls. They want a clean car inside and out with some wax on it for show.
    Right on, most don`t see a scratch unless it is deep enough to catch your finger nail in.

If they cared they would not use their shoe to push the door shut, And we worry about having a soft enough towel.

Thread Information