Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Does Anyone Care for Quality Anymore?

What`s up people? This is a harsh reality and I`m not willing to face yet, but some people just don`t care for quality. This guy who I know details cars came to me and said, "You do good work, but you might want to lower your prices a bit." He is charging his customers $12 now for a hand wash which includes a vacuum, tires dressed, and windows cleaned. He is a one man operation, but the places I know that are charging a $12 wash with those things included are the mom and pop washes.

I see guys advertising on craigslist for $10-$15 shampoo`s....I`m like what the hell is going on. So obviously, when I get a call and someone asks about my prices I get, "You`re too much." When I explain to them what detailing is, it`s still you are too much.

Honestly, I would never try to knock someone who is trying to earn some money, but I take this seriously. I know the economy has many in a tight bind and I`m understanding to that. I`m not about to drop my price for a mini detail from $115 to $45. I was targeting people who I thought cared about quality, but they are price conscious in the same breathe.

Sorry about the rant. How did you guys overcome a problem like this if ever experienced. Should I stick to my guns on my prices or possibly lower them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Anyone Care for Quality Anymore?

Look at it this way - you`re selling a service that`s pretty much based on disposable income in one of the worst economies many of us have ever faced. Not saying you need to sell yourself short, but I know a couple of well-repsected detailers on the forums that have added "cost-effective" services to their menu and it has worked out well for them. Perhaps that`s an option you could look into.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Look at it this way - you`re selling a service that`s pretty much based on disposable income in one of the worst economies many of us have ever faced. Not saying you need to sell yourself short, but I know a couple of well-repsected detailers on the forums that have added "cost-effective" services to their menu and it has worked out well for them. Perhaps that`s an option you could look into.
    EXCELLENT POINT!!! These are unprecedented times for such a large segement of the population.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Look at it this way - you`re selling a service that`s pretty much based on disposable income in one of the worst economies many of us have ever faced....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    EXCELLENT POINT!!! These are unprecedented times for such a large segement of the population.
    And then there are those of us that have always been broke.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn`t agree more with you. I`ve started a couple threads about my thoughts on craigslist. In my area there are several detailers who advertise on there, and a couple who always find the need in talking crap about the pros in the area who use buffers and polishers and actually care about what they are doing. I`ve seen "why pay $100 for swirl marks? We do it right..by hand". This same guy claims to be the best AND cheapest in the area. The way I look at it, if people wanna pay 10 bucks for a "detail" let those hacks have them as clients and focus on getting the people who give a $hit.

Maestro of Microfiber
    Post Thanks / Like

Finding a way to reach the people who do care is the ticket. How, I`m not certain, but those folks are not so likely to be choosing a detailer off Craigslist. How you find them probably varies by area.

You might try to explain that you`ll make their car look like a MIRROR. And unlike Mr. $10 Detail, you have the references to back up your crazy claim.

Or just work real hard on referrals from existing customers.
    My Indian Name is "Runs With Beer"

Post Thanks / Like

I`d think targeting the people with clean/shiny cars would be a good start. Most of them obviously care. Take the clean/shiny ones and detail them. That`s what I would do if I wanted to focus on the niche that cared. Sure, it won`t be 100% or like shooting fish in a barrel, but you might get one or two of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d think targeting the people with clean/shiny cars would be a good start. Most of them obviously care...
    I`ve never done this professionally so anything that I say with respect to chasing customers is sheer speculation. That said, I`ve always thought this would be a great strategy.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Ive done advertising in local papers, half page ads in the yellow pages, ads on CL, etc. THE MOST effective advertising Ive found is the word of mouth. You can talk yourself up all you want, some will believe you and most will call bs on what you say about yourself. When their friends or family brag up your work or they see a vehical you did, thats when they want you make theirs look like that. Having business cards and a website of some sort will also help set yourself apart from the pack. Personally, Ive found Myspace or Facebook to be great places to find clients. Ive made more new clients thanks to my Myspace page than I ever would have if I had built a standard website. Plus its not costed me a dime and I can post all the before and after pics I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I can give on this topic:

Don`t let it drive you crazy. Stick to your guns. Just like any other service based business, there are hacks and there are those of us who care. DO NOT lower your standards. I tried that last winter and I ended up driving myself crazy because I knew I was not giving my best on each car because I had to do more cars per day just to stay afloat. It killed me. I felt drained at the end of ever day.
    There IS a separation in this industry. If you are a true professional, the people will find you. However, if you start to cut corners, then that will be your reputation and you will end up being classified as just another hack.

If someone tells you that they can get their car done cheaper somewhere else, advise them that they should go there. They aren`t the customers you are looking for anyway. They will ALWAYS be looking for the lowest priced guy. You lower your price, and the guy across town lowers his price another $10 and then what?

If you are detailing a car. Do your best, every time. If you are not detailing, find out how to get in front of the people who want quality and get in front of them. We have an industry to represent here!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Gotham, very well put....Keep doing quality work, the way I look at it is: I would rather put my experience to work for someone that will notice and appreciate it, than to someone who doesn`t even notice the swirls are gone because they don`t care. I don`t lower my prices because of the hacks, I have finally gotten to the point where my customer base is the size I want, and when someone tells me "Hey, Joe around the corner will do the same thing for only $60." I now can tell them, No he definitely wont, but think what you want. Go take your car there....After your name gets out, you WILL get a customer base that pays your price range because they understand the quality of the work, and those are the people that come back time after time. I will not lower my prices for people who are looking for a cheap detail because their vehicle is so trashed that they can`t stand it anymore. Those are the types that only come once in awhile, and every time the car is disgusting. I`m glad I was able to move up and get out of those types of customers. You will too, just give it a little time.
    D-Trick Detailing
    Missed a spot!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind this - offering "less of a service" to meet the demand of the market by no means shows that you are cutting corners, lessening the quality of work you do, lowering your standards or being a hack. A person selling something in a market where no buyers want to buy it will be out of business soon.

And by less of a service - at least in this case - I`m talking about wash & waxes, one-step corrections, etc. As long as you represent what it is you`re doing, there`s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Doesn`t make you a hack.

Post Thanks / Like

As most of you know, I`m a graphic designer by trade (detailing is a hobby) however I see this kind of thing in my industry as well. There are people (usually less experienced) that are selling poor quality work to people who are looking for a "deal" and less concerned with the `quality` and the `image` they are getting in the end. It`s sad, but this day and age so many more people are concerned with `value` as opposed to `quality`.

The worst part of all is that in the long run, it degrades the real `professionals` in these fields who are worthy of charging more for their years of experience. In every profession there is an "art" to what we all do and the longer we do it, the better we are at achieving a better quality end product for our customers. So why should we have to severely cut our prices in order to compete with people who are cutting corners in order to cut costs so that the customer "thinks" they are getting a deal?

I see so many people myself who are happy taking the `cheap` way out. As long as their car is `shiny` then the person providing the service must`ve done okay, right?? These people don`t look `into` their paint to realize that the swirls are still there and that the wax has somehow rinsed off after a few washings. These are the same people who use the cheapest graphic designers and because their post card mailer or logo `appears` complete, they never bother to understand if the proper thought went into it to make sure that it really fits their demographic and is going to benefit them in the long run.

Bottom line to me...you get what you pay for and if you want `cheap`, well, cheap is what you get. Time and experience cost money and I for one am willing to pay a bit more when I want to invest my hard-earned money into something.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind this - offering "less of a service" to meet the demand of the market by no means shows that you are cutting corners, lessening the quality of work you do, lowering your standards or being a hack. A person selling something in a market where no buyers want to buy it will be out of business soon.

And by less of a service - at least in this case - I`m talking about wash & waxes, one-step corrections, etc. As long as you represent what it is you`re doing, there`s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Doesn`t make you a hack.
    I agree plus most people don`t see their car as we do.

Just yesterday my wife and I went to town and while sitting at a light a black pontiac was beside me and it was clean and somewhat shiny but looked like it had been washed with a brillo pad.

I told my wife look at the paint on that car and she said I don`t care about the paint on that car.

To most people it don`t matter and to the rest a wash makes it look good to them.

At the mall they throw their door into the car parked next to them then use their foot to close the door and as soon as they tear out the last page on their payment book they trade their piece of junk on a new one and start the process all over again.

Most people don`t concern themselves with the paint like people on this forum, even my wife tells me I`m obsessed with it.

Their is a market for the guy that offers a wash and coat of NU-Finnish.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you turn down a job for a one step correction that would only remove 80% of the swirls for reasonable compensation for your time?

If the answer is yes, you are working for yourself and probably will have to rely on people who will pay for you want to do. If you are good, you can get away with it in many situations.

If the answer is no, you are working for the customer and more likely to succeed as a business.

Like in many service businesses (like cleaning houses) where the more you pay the more work that gets done. Vacuuming floors vs mopping, light cleaning vs heavy cleaning, etc. The more established places cost more in part because they have higher overhead, likely pay a bit better, etc.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information