Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Anyone Care for Quality Anymore?

Nope charging that little it wouldn`t even be worth my time. However, I can be more picky because I don`t rely on detailing money to pay the bills. Now if I did do this full time it may cause me to take a more drastic approach to stay competitive.
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been doing paid jobs for three summers now. I mainly reach my customers through word of mouth and referrals. I have received some good clients through referrals. These are the people who will call me during the winter months when I`m not doing cars and clear way in the garage so I can do their cars. That`s loyalty and it feels good that people go to that length because they appreciate your service. At my job, this guy came to my desk one day and asked whose Jeep is that outside. When I told him that it was mine, he was like where did you go? I told him I detail cars in my spare time and he has been a customer of mine for two years now.

If a guy was charging $20 to detail a car and it looked damn good, who am I to complain. The cars look like they went to east hell and back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DT08 View Post
    If a guy was charging $20 to detail a car and it looked damn good, who am I to complain. The cars look like they went to east hell and back.
    It depends on whether finished the car in better condition that it was in. For $20, you cannot expect miracles but would expect it was cleaner and no added damage (induced swirling) was done.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing for me is something I do on the side for a little extra cash...it most certainly isn`t what I rely on to pay my bills. Because of this, I can be picky about the clients I choose. The people who want something for nothing are immediately turned off by my prices and run to the hacks, of which there are tons around here. I`ve had countless people tell me I`m too expensive but I`m not about to lower my prices or my standards.

But those who appreciate what it is that I do and understand what I`m trying to achieve are the customers that stay with me. They also understand that the high price nets high quality returns. By maintaining a small and select clientele, I get to know all my clients on a personal level, what they like and want, what they don`t and what they can and can`t afford. I have customers on tight budgets and I also have those for whom money is no object. When you go the extra mile to tailor your services personally to each client, I find they are more likely to tell their friends and come back.

The bottom line? Quality over quantity....EVERY time.
    2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Harbor Gray

Even sometimes I, in a moment of what could only be described as pure sanity, question the rationality of this obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people who do quality work will be detailing as a extra job not their main income.

The reason for that is like I posted above.
    People that I know take their car to the tunnel wash it cost 8 dollars here for a wash.

They are happy with the results and if you told them you could make it look like new for $350.00 they would pass out.

Their are a small number who will pay that but I bet they are like 10 percent.

All you need to do is look at the cars at the mall not 1 in 100 are clean and not 1 in 1000 looks really good, To the average person a half ass wash is all they want and like I said above their is a market for the cheap quick wash.

For those who want to do high quality detailing you will need to try to attract the 10 percent that are looking for that kind of detail.

I clean my vehicles after every time I drive it even if it is just the 30 mile into town and back home.

If I had to pay for it I guarantee you it would go much longer before it was cleaned.
    Some can and will pay the big dollar but they are definitely in the minority.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jaredpointer that we are selling a service that is paid for with disposable income. I think most of us are getting a little less work in this economy, what has worked for me is I kept any returning customers prices the same, any new customers my prices are 25% higher than last years so I can actually make more money doing less work. I also have included an express detail package that is less costly to my customer which has gone over quite well with some new customers that dont have the money for a regular detail. Some of you may disagree with my idea of raising prices this much in this economy but for me it has gone over well and has actually closed the financial gap that was being created by having less work
    frankie k`s auto kleen

Post Thanks / Like

I am a weekend warrior as far a car detailing my own vehicles but during the week I own and operarte a Janitorial Distribution company. We also have competition that sell at unbelievabley low margins. WHY? Simple, there are 2 main reasons.
    1. They don`t know their true costs of doing business and they don`t stick around for long. Or they don`t have insurance.

2. They can`t compete on quality so they go the only route they can in desparaton and that on price. Quality wins in the long run you just need to take some time to be sure you hit YOUR target market.

REMEMBER:

Your competition does not lower your price (or quality) YOU do!

You need to continually add value to your process (product), its more work but worth it in the long run!

I have paid for hand washes/details and for 12.00 I already know its not the guy I want touching my car. For 12 bucks he cannot affort to spend the time cleaning my wheels that is required.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Using some like this may help educate your potential customers..

Al
    The Need to Bead

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Does Anyone Care for Quality Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamAuto View Post
    Best advice I can give on this topic:

Don`t let it drive you crazy. Stick to your guns. Just like any other service based business, there are hacks and there are those of us who care. DO NOT lower your standards. I tried that last winter and I ended up driving myself crazy because I knew I was not giving my best on each car because I had to do more cars per day just to stay afloat. It killed me. I felt drained at the end of ever day.
    There IS a separation in this industry. If you are a true professional, the people will find you. However, if you start to cut corners, then that will be your reputation and you will end up being classified as just another hack.

If someone tells you that they can get their car done cheaper somewhere else, advise them that they should go there. They aren`t the customers you are looking for anyway. They will ALWAYS be looking for the lowest priced guy. You lower your price, and the guy across town lowers his price another $10 and then what?

If you are detailing a car. Do your best, every time. If you are not detailing, find out how to get in front of the people who want quality and get in front of them. We have an industry to represent here!!!!

ITS NOT JUST IN THE DETAILING TRADE, ITS IN EVERYTHING I ASSURE YOU... THATS GOOD ADVISE, YOU ARE RIGHT THEY GET WHAT THEY PAY FOR WHEN PRICE IS THE ONLY FACTOR...

Very few times do you ever get the "A" team when ya wanna be cheep in regards to the price. The reason is the best guy has overhead! he is the guy that`s doing everything he can to assure quality. Everything he does is above board, insurance,taxes,quality help, quality products and on and on. That costs money and in order for him to do what he does costs money. The 10 dollar hack will not be around when ya need the mope 3 months later. I like a good price and don`t want to pay more but I also want the guy to stay in business when I need him again.

QUOTE,

1. They don`t know their true costs of doing business and they don`t stick around for long. Or they don`t have insurance.

2. They can`t compete on quality so they go the only route they can in desperation and that on price. Quality wins in the long run you just need to take some time to be sure you hit YOUR target market.

REMEMBER:

Your competition does not lower your price (or quality) YOU do!

I got bashed on the chat here for telling the same things, seems its what ya gotta know to stay in business... Ya gotta know your costs period, its not about the 20 bucks in your pocket at the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

@Bunky: That photo alone is enough to scare the hell out of me...lol.

Where I live some of these guys have the classic cars with the big for no reason rims on their cars. I seen these guys at an auto body shop and decided to pitch my business to them. Handed out a few flyers and the first thing the guys said was this is too much for me. When those guys told me where they go, all I could say was good luck with that. This place is notorious for only thoroughly washing the driver side of your car and leaving the passenger side half washed.

I think Gotham said, don`t drive yourself crazy about it. I just needed to rant for a minute. It`s crazy how people want nice cars, but don`t want to take the time or money to keep it looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, thank you to everyone for agreeing with me.

I would like to elaborate a little more on the topic. Ever since I wrote my initial response, I have put a lot of thought into this.

I have been in business for almost 6 years now, starting part time doing mobile work and slowly moving my way up to full time and owning a shop. My shop will have been open for 2 years in August. When I opened up, of course I would detail anything that came through the door for whatever people were willing to pay me. However, I have recently come to the conclusion that I need to decide if I want to be a high volume detailer or a high end detailer. I don`t believe you can have a middle ground.
    Having the shop for two years and working with 4-5 dealers/body shops on and off, I can now see how easy it is to fall into the high volume, low quality classification. At any point over the past two years, I could have hired 4 unqualified kids or immigrants, (sorry if that offends anyone, but it`s the truth in this industry), changed dealerships $100 a car no matter what, and just let my workers "make the car look good" while I sit back and watch Simpson reruns all day. By this point, I would have been up to 5 dealerships and I would probably be set.
    That`s not me though, and I don`t feel that is what MOST of us wanted to do when we went into business. Also, in the long run, I don`t think it`s a good plan. What happens when another guy decides to throw his hat into the ring and goes around saying he will do the cars for $95 and takes two dealerships from me? If I had 5, I have now lost 40% of my profits. You never want your largest account to be that much of your income, no matter what. AND THAT WILL HAPPEN. Dealership owners and managers care about one thing. Their bottom line. TRUST ME, they do not care about quality. My local Subaru used car lot looks like someone went through it with a wool pad and some Ajax. I don`t understand how someone who calls themselves a detailer could possibly accept the whole car hologramed up as a good final product. I don`t even think I could mess a car up that bad if I was trying.

Again, doing that is EASY and I think that is why the detailing industry is so watered down at this point in time. However, those of us who are serious about the industry NEED people who are in this for the long haul. It`s tough, I understand. There have been times where I fell behind on my morgage, got letters that they were going to take my car and my wife`s car, canceled my insurance, shut off my electricity, all of it. That`s business, and I do what I have to in those months, but in the back of my mind was always "High End Detailer". You have to keep your main goal in mind, and you have to keep your purpose in mind. During the down times, you practice techniques. One day last winter when it was snowing I had one customer drop their father`s 199-something white Toyota Camry off for a Wash-Wax and Vac service. It normally took about an hour to do, and I charged $60 for it. One of my mentors and business partners was in the shop with me that day. He told me I was spending all day on the car. I had nothing else scheduled, and since it was snowing, I probably was not getting anything else in. I spent 9 hours on the car. Another thing to do, study chemistry. Why does a polymer paint sealant last longer then a wax? How do live enzyme cleaners and Ozone generators kill bacteria and break down stains? These answers will put you way ahead of the guy down the road with 6 high school juniors washing minivans all day.
    Since this is getting long winded, I will wrap it up. My point is that owning a business, ANY business is hard. If you think you are going to open your doors and Ferraris and AMG Blacks are going to roll through your door, your crazy. Fight through the tough times and keep your reputation intact. (Get a job part time at the local Starbucks. They give you health insurance at least.) If you ALWAYS do good work, customers and opportunities will come. Not all at once for sure, but slowly. One day you`ll wake up and realize that even though the guy down the road always seems to be working on 3 different cars at a time, you have a Ferrari Enzoand an Audi R8 in your shop waiting to be finished and a Lexus LFA being dropped off directly from the dealership. Then ask yourself if you care what the owners of BMWs and Mercedes think when they say your prices are too high.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine took his car to a place that if you get there before 11am on tuesday they will give you a hand car wash , vacuum, inside windows, wheels , wipe door jams , and a spray wax I think Megs Last Touch for $15.00. The shame is that the car look really good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    A friend of mine took his car to a place that if you get there before 11am on tuesday they will give you a hand car wash , vacuum, inside windows, wheels , wipe door jams , and a spray wax I think Megs Last Touch for $15.00. The shame is that the car look really good.
    Providing a good/service for a niche that`s there. What, exactly, is wrong with that? Good, healthy, thriving businesses do this all the time.

Again, I`ll say that some folks (the vast majority of car owners, I`d venture to say) don`t care about having a true detail. They couldn`t care any less in the world if they have marring, holograms, etc. You are not going to sell them something they don`t want or need for an item they see as a mode from getting to point A to B.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Does Anyone Care for Quality Anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Providing a good/service for a niche that`s there. What, exactly, is wrong with that? Good, healthy, thriving businesses do this all the time.

Again, I`ll say that some folks (the vast majority of car owners, I`d venture to say) don`t care about having a true detail. They couldn`t care any less in the world if they have marring, holograms, etc. You are not going to sell them something they don`t want or need for an item they see as a mode from getting to point A to B.

ITS SEEMS THAT WAY,

Most don`t care at all, if they did there would be no work around for anyone.
    If everyone mowed their own grass there would be no need for mowing services and the list goes on. If everyone was nice and never broke the law we would never need a lawyer, and cops would be eating more donuts because of lack of work I GUESS THATS NEVER GONNA CHANGE.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really "bad" quality when the buyer does seem to care either?

If there were buyers that cared, they would not buy it or the dealer to fix it, the dealer would raise the standards and more cars would be better detailed.

So, the free market system is working. Buyers accept what they get because they do not know or do not care.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information