Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing shop questions

I want to start mobile because of the cost of finding a cheap permanent spot. if i DO find something somewhat afffordable, (permanent space) how long should it take for me to make a profit if i concentrate mainly on express washes and minor detailing? i know this is a broad general question, but i dont wanna get into high end detailing just yet because i am new. the price range im looking is around $1000 a month for the space rental. ( it can be done where im from), and i plan to charge around $35 for express wash, $50 for express wash and interior detail. these figures are approximate. my water cost will be very marginal due to the technique im gonna be using. i live in a large metropolitan area.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing shop questions

Atldeville

I linked you to a very good thread about this subject in the other mobile thread you started.

How much experience do you have in detailing in general?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a tough question to answer with out knowing the demographics of your area, how many cars you can do per day etc. What is involved in your express wash? How long does it take?
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Atldeville

I linked you to a very good thread about this subject in the other mobile thread you started.

How much experience do you have in detailing in general?
    i have worked for a dealership doing cars. mainly new and late model used cars. the typical bay work: rinse, wash, dry, interior detail included vacuum, windows, door jams. clean and wash tires. occassional engine clean. no major detailing or waxing, just the basics. now, to make it my business grow faster, im open to more complete detailing, dont wanna go with any clay bar or rotary buffing at this time, just a good detail and wash.

there are quite a bit of homes in the area and businesses. off a major highway. not frontage but on a side street. i dont know of any other in this particular area. 1,000 rent plus electric, marginal water use. $35-$50 a car. i would have to do 75-100 cars a month to make this anywhere near profitable. can this be done? it would require about 4-5 cars a day on a 5 day schedule.

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn`t call it detailing then if you don`t want to clay and buff.. i would market it more as a wash n wax.. and i wouldn`t lead anyone on saying you are giving them a complete detail if you don`t plan on breaking out a clay bar and removing the contaminants from the paint and doing paint correction on the cars..
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Gus View Post
    i wouldn`t call it detailing then if you don`t want to clay and buff.. i would market it more as a wash n wax.. and i wouldn`t lead anyone on saying you are giving them a complete detail if you don`t plan on breaking out a clay bar and removing the contaminants from the paint and doing paint correction on the cars..
    good point, now, is it a simple process to use a clay bar to remove contaminants?? is it done AFTER a wash and dry????

Post Thanks / Like

yes its simple todo.. just make sure the car is in the shade and the paint is cool.. you can do it after a wash and rinse.. i dont dry the car after a wash and then use lube with the water on the car already. there are a ton of articles on this forum about claying just use the search button
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atldeville View Post
    good point, now, is it a simple process to use a clay bar to remove contaminants?? is it done AFTER a wash and dry????
    I really hate to rain on a parade....... BUT.................

If you don`t know when/how to clay, may I suggest you put off your new found profession till you get better educated.

Buying $700 worth of stuff and doing a wash and wax doesn`t make you a detailer.

Mebbe save your money and spend it coming to something like detailing weekend or detailfest. Learn then do.

You do a lousy job and you`ll watch your customer base dissappear fast, and you`ll wonder why.

The only other viable option is to increase your prices and stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before each "detail"
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I really hate to rain on a parade....... BUT.................

If you don`t know when/how to clay, may I suggest you put off your new found profession till you get better educated.

Buying $700 worth of stuff and doing a wash and wax doesn`t make you a detailer.

Mebbe save your money and spend it coming to something like detailing weekend or detailfest. Learn then do.

You do a lousy job and you`ll watch your customer base dissappear fast, and you`ll wonder why.

The only other viable option is to increase your prices and stay at a Holiday Inn Express the night before each "detail"
    did you READ my initial post??? this is what i said, and i quote:

"but i dont wanna get into high end detailing just yet because i am new" where im from, a claybar would be considered high end work.

Post Thanks / Like

did you READ my initial post??? this is what i said, and i quote:

"but i dont wanna get into high end detailing just yet because i am new" where im from, a claybar would be considered high end work.
    Yes I did read your post. Did you read mine?

As far as where you`re from is concerned I don`t think it really matters unless you just want to buy a pressure washer and offer car washes. But I`m not sure how well you`re gonna do cuz the local jr. high school cheerleading team will beat ya out on quality and quantity.

Do you care about doing a quality job or just doing a driveway was. If all you want to do is a driveway wash, go get a hose, bucket and a jug of dawn and stand on your sidewalk. Should save you about $680.00 plus shipping. Oh yeah, dont forget the shamwow.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Look at all of those sponges just laying on the ground...oh the humanity
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Look at all of those sponges just laying on the ground...oh the humanity

Post Thanks / Like

. i would have to do 75-100 cars a month to make this anywhere near profitable. can this be done? it would require about 4-5 cars a day on a 5 day schedule.
    I don`t think it can be done...There are not enough people out there looking for that type of "cleaning" You need to do 4-5 a day to pay off the rent, I would bet only 4-5 a month would be looking for an express detailing. There really isn`t a market for it, the people that get express details are usually just once in awhile customers who don`t care about their cars, but when it gets out of control they throw the $30 to get it washed and vacuumed. I don`t think you will be able to get enough business doing that kind of work to pay rent on a shop. Maybe if you were doing full corrections it would be another story, there are a lot of people looking for them..
    D-Trick Detailing
    Missed a spot!

Post Thanks / Like

This might work. YOu could call it a 2 step detail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information