Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Is That Who I Think It Is.....

So, last week I was outside working on a customers car when suddenally I heard a noise like none other. The humming of a 911 was making its way down my Cove(cul-d-sac for you rich folks)

Anywho, no one on my street drives a 911 so I was very intrested to see who this might be

Well, the car stopped at the end of my driveway and I was on my butt polishing a wheel. I look up and there he is...A former customer that I hadn`t seen in 10 years

Well, I have been in this akward position on more then 1 occasion unfortuntelly. For 1 reason or another,at some point you will lose customers. The # 1 reason I have seen is of course they find someone cheaper and they feel like anybody can do this job.....

It hardly ever fail`s that they eventually return with there tales between there legs with some kinda lame excuse why they haven`t been around

I have started to just cut them off at the path and act like nothing ever happened and just keep movin. I know just from there behavior they are always releived to have me back...Its really kinda flattering

It ussually doesn`t take 10 years for them to return though

I was just wondering if anyone else has expeirenced this and how do you handle it (Doesn`t have to be a detail related)

I look forward to any and all responses

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is That Who I Think It Is.....

maybe his new detailer broke his foot
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

maybe his old detailer died

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    maybe his new detailer broke his foot
    That is a good one.

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Jerry Clean Bright went up on his prices and you were cheaper...... I have had that happen, i just let it go and do the job. I will always throw in a comment like ...long time no see...

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t begin to tell you how many customers I`ve lost over the years because of some kid who`s mom ran an add in the paper for him offering $30 details. Its sad, but most people don`t care if their car is perfect. This isn`t the case for everyone, but most look for price, not quality. When the ecconomy fell and people were loosing their jobs, all of a sudden all these detail businesses started popping up. I guess everyone who`s put a coat of turtle wax on, and smeared some son of a gun on a dash can call themselves a detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not always the case, but to some, detailing can be done just as good by anyone with a pressure washer and a water tank as it is by you. I have had a few shy away to the cheaper end, but I have nearly a 100% success rate of people who think the grass is greener on the other side, but soon find out it is not.

Some people just want "clean!"

Then again, some people want a professional "detail," and thats when they call us!

Post Thanks / Like

no it is not who i think it is mr.clean81

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65chevy View Post
    no it is not who i think it is mr.clean81
    ...I beg your pardon?

Post Thanks / Like

sorry mr.clean81 i thought you were asking me if i was some one you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 65chevy View Post
    sorry mr.clean81 i thought you were asking me if i was some one you know
    Its cool. I didn`t start the thread though.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor keeps wanting me to go into business with him since he sees me do my SUV. He pays for details and then comes and tells me I do 100% better job lol. I said of course I do it`s my truck!
    You have activated my special ability....

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thriftgirl62 View Post
    I`ve been around detail shops and cars since I was 15 and you guys may be quiet and even shy sometimes but not when it comes to labor intensive work and common sense. You can stop that nonsense by talking to the mother about pooling your resources instead of undercutting the price.

Does she want her kids to get used to working so cheap they just quit because they believe they`ll never get paid any more. What they believe now becomes an excuse to do what they want and that`s quit with validation.
    Some people figure $30 for an hour or so is pretty good money (remember, they are doing fast jobs, not full details). And they don`t have any "real" overhead. The kid lives at home, has a bottle of wax and a bucket from the garage and does the jobs when they feel like it. And if you say you`ll hire them for even $10 an hour, they`ll look at this as $20 less than they`d make on their own.
    Many kids aren`t looking for structured work-just a quick buck, so there may not be much incentive to "pool resources."
    Can`t you put the kids to work helping you get more jobs done right so you get referrals and repeat business? Wouldn`t you earn more money that way?
    Legitimate businesses may not be able to hire kids due to insurance liabilities/legal requirements. Also, as you alluded to, some kids aren`t going to be in it for the long run. Would you want to be hiring a constant run of "competitors" that aren`t caring if they do a good job? Your customers aren`t likely to be too thrilled getting their car back with gobs of wax around emblems and tire goo flung up the sides of the car as they drive down the road. After all, it`s your image at risk for the long term. Long after the kid has quit, people may still remember your business as a sloppy jobber rather than someone who was helping the neighborhood kids get work.

Just my thoughts.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get your point my wife works for an international marketing company; specializing in Internet and social media. However.........

One of the times I had "one of those kids" helping me he called a group of his friends to come see the car. I can keep my dog focused better.
    I at least give the people here credit. They are taking the effort to learn something.
    Understand my reservations. I can`t afford to insure that nonsense with some of the things I work on. Businesses can`t grow if they are constantly paying for mistakes.

This is a forum so it`s just my two cents.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.... Looks like thriftgirl62`s post got deleted somehow. Kind of makes our replies to that post moot.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information