Post Thanks / Like

Training Suggestions?

I`m seriously thinking about getting into this business, at least in a part time capacity at first. I was checking out Detail King in Pittsburgh, seeing as it`s the closest to me that I was able to find (I`m in central Ohio). Has anyone gone through their training? What were your thoughts? Would you recommend it? Are there any other reputable detail training programs that are fairly close to me?

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Training Suggestions?

Why pay for training when you can teach yourself through the scores of how-to articles and videos on the net.

I`m sure there are local suppliers who would be willing to give you all the advice and training you need to be successful. Just do right by them. If they take the time to train you and help you then don`t go looking for a cheaper supplier afterwards.

One word of caution. Not all suppliers are going to teach you right. It`s up to you to judge whether or not they are worth listening to.

Another option is to find a good detailer outside of your service area and offer free help in exchange for training. You never know.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Troy you can learn a lot here and it costs you nothing but your time!!!!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Kris's Car Care
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not been through the Detail King Training but I am about 20 miles from them. I recieve emails from them constantly inviting to try their training. I have learned all I wanted to know to this point from either other detailers or from this site. I also think sometimes its nice to train yourself. If need be pickup an old hook or door skin from the junk yard and use it to teach yourself some new things you learn on DC

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Troy and others (believe it or not ) ... if you are willing to pay someone, then you would get better use out of your time offering to assist either an established detailer , or go to a body shop and ask to be a painter`s apprentice ... the painter will teach you about sanding, taping, painting and also buffing ... an experience that can`t really be paid for
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, Detail King is way overpriced for anything, but that`s just me..... As said earlier, you can learn on your own, your OWN WAY. Paying for training isn`t a bad thing by any means, but if you can save the $$ and figure out how to do it yourself, then you are golden.
    Plenty of articles and videos on the web to learn from. If you are looking at buffing, go to a body shop or junk yard and pick up a dark colored hood to practice on.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I notice is that everyone is assuming paint polishing is the only thing you need training for. Granted it`s the most skilled part of detailing, but it`s not the only thing you have to learn to be a pro detailer.

Researching proper care for the various surfaces on the car is essential to being a good detailer. Knowing how to remove stains. Which ones can be removed, which ones can`t. Knowing what kind of material a seat is upholstered with etc...

Most everything requires practice to be efficient. That`s why a person`s years of experience can be just as good of marketing tool as the training they have had. Nothing wrong with training. It can definitely speed up the learning process but I just don`t see it as necessary.

My thinking might be flawed though. I`m a self-taught amateur web site designer and because I have never been trained at it, I suffer through learning things the hard way and if I had proper training, my websites would probably be better and I would have less headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to do a search here on any members near you. Then maybe start a dialouge and see if you can apprentice under them.

We have alot of good people here.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all of the replies and advice so far.

One of the things I liked about the Detail King training is the first day is all in classroom training on the business side of it, which to me seems more challenging than the actual technical, or detailing side.

The second day is all detailing, which I also have LOTS to learn about. I`ve never used a polisher or an extractor, both of which I know a serious detail shop can`t exist without. I`m planning on using a DA polisher, at least starting out, so that part of it I`m OK with teaching myself on.

I actually did shoot an email to a detailer in the Columbus area a few months back, asking if I could come and help him out for a few days with washes and vacuums in exchange for some teaching from him, but I never heard back. I`d much rather go that route, rather than going out of town and paying for training, but it`s just a matter of finding someone who would agree to it.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get into any good class on small business at a local college, JC or get info online or at the libaray.

All that said for me since you are brand new at this, start off with doing wash and waxes for friends and family. You could charge a small amount to cover product costs and help build up funds for equipment. Its how a lot of us here started. Detailing although there are some franchise places like DK, this is not rocket science its a process of learning threw trail and error. That`s why the suggestion was made about working for a body shop or local car wash.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, Beemerboy.

I actually have done some wash & waxes for friends, family, and neighbors, as well as my own cars. It`s something I enjoy doing. I`m out there so often with a hose and bucket, my neighbors probably think I`m nuts!

I worked at a "detail" shop here in town for a few weeks last fall before the owner laid everybody off. I put the word detail in quotation marks because the way that shop was run, and the methods they used would either make the detail pros on here laugh or cry, probably both! Letting the guys smoke in cars while they were cleaning the interior or delivering cars, making us use dirty wash water and an old dirty, holey chamois- I could go on and on! I mostly wanted to work there to learn the business and techniques. It wasn`t what I had in mind to say the least, and now I want to learn to do things the right way.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArmstrongDetailing View Post
    One thing I notice is that everyone is assuming paint polishing is the only thing you need training for. Granted it`s the most skilled part of detailing, but it`s not the only thing you have to learn to be a pro detailer.

Researching proper care for the various surfaces on the car is essential to being a good detailer. Knowing how to remove stains. Which ones can be removed, which ones can`t. Knowing what kind of material a seat is upholstered with etc...

Most everything requires practice to be efficient. That`s why a person`s years of experience can be just as good of marketing tool as the training they have had. Nothing wrong with training. It can definitely speed up the learning process but I just don`t see it as necessary.

My thinking might be flawed though. I`m a self-taught amateur web site designer and because I have never been trained at it, I suffer through learning things the hard way and if I had proper training, my websites would probably be better and I would have less headaches.
    Excellent point. JMO, but interior work is at least as important as paint polishing, and maybe a bit moreso since most of the customer`s time is spent inside the vehicle and not standing outside admiring your handiwork on the paint. Cockpit area specificially needs close and detailed attention. Now with that said, you always shoot for the WOW factor when they walk up and find a gleaming exterior.

Bolded for emphasis, any skill process that is self taught will likely come with some bumps and hiccups, but those also help with the learning process.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    You can get into any good class on small business at a local college, JC or get info online or at the libaray.

All that said for me since you are brand new at this, start off with doing wash and waxes for friends and family. You could charge a small amount to cover product costs and help build up funds for equipment. Its how a lot of us here started. Detailing although there are some franchise places like DK, this is not rocket science its a process of learning threw trail and error. That`s why the suggestion was made about working for a body shop or local car wash.
    Good way to get going. Good practice, plus good results hopefully will prompt some (all) of those people to be willing to pass along your name and recommendation to others they know.

Hopefully you are not totally new to this and you`ve spent some years working on your own vehicles so you at least have an idea about what you are going to do with a customer`s vehicle.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

you can also come down to Detail Fest in March and learn a lot from Pros and participants

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    you can also come down to Detail Fest in March and learn a lot from Pros and participants
    I highly suggest you attend the Detailfest if possible. There will be many knowledgeable people there so you can receive in person advice and training.
    Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone give the particulars on Detail Fest; where, when, cost, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Information