Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question How do you go about buying your product(s)?

Well heres one part i havent seen addressed yet (maybe it has deep in the archives?) What do you guys find the best way to buy your product. I mean its not like most of us are running a shop with a couple dozen employees with tons of cars coming in and out. It would be easy to see how you could just buy 1000`s of dollars worth of supplies like that. But what about us little guys who dont need a hundred gallons of car wash soap a week lol? What do you guys find the best way to buy your product, and from who (if you dont mind droppin some names/sites etc.)?

Any specifics on what you spend a year on average, as opposed to how many cars you do and what you bring in a year? Just wanna make sure that if i get into this even deeper than i am, that i go about saving money on buying product as best as i can. Thanks guys.

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you go about buying your product(s)?

I do about 25 cars a year, (paying customers), and wash non paying about that much. I buy all my paint correction products from Poorboys World. Some interior carpet cleaning products locally as needed. Microfiber towels from PBs too. White cotton towels locally. Ive purchased products from the MALCO truck, DETAIL CITY ONLINE store, and AUTOGEEK. I prefer Poorboys as Steve is on this site and his own, plus Ive called him during the day for advise and purchasing products. This I fine is the service end and I appreciate it. You could also call Autogeek for advise too as they handle all sorts of product lines and buffers, thery also run sales on the products they sell. (That got me to buy some products from them once but I didnt like that product as well as what IM using now from Steve.) Hope that helps.

Id start with a quart of Super Slick suds, quart of SPRAY AND GLOSS, quart of Spray and wipe, the rest of the products try them in pints till you decide exactly what you like. Make sure you get plenty of Quality microfiber towels, (at least 24 to start), also some cheaper MF towels and/or white cotton towels for tires, wheels, wheel wells door jambs, and interiors. Check the scratch and dent list with Steve too for better deals.

Post Thanks / Like

I get 99% of my supplies from www.autogeek.net Since I live in Florida the shipping is free and there is always some sort of deal going on along with discounts for members of there forum and this one. there Buy one Gey ones are always great. The Auto Geek team is always ready to help you.

I get my Micro Fibers and Painters tape from the local Pep Boys

Shawn
    (954) 871-0205

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I got most of my stuff off the back of a truck. You don`t have to use 100 gallons of soap a week to get access to a automagic or ardex truck.

As long as your not just buying a 16 oz bottle of polish then you can usually meet them somewhere or have them come to you. I would get at least a gallon or 2, or 5 gallon pails then while on the truck, then i would talk to the guy and end up buying some other small stuff.

I`ve also bought a few things online also from chem guys, some of the sponsers. But for the most part it was from the truck, a price thats hard to match, good quality, and same day service most times. Thats what kept me coming back.

Post Thanks / Like

Good posts so far! I live in Arizona thou True, would i still have access to this truck way out here lol? If so, how do i get in contact with them?

Speaking of chemical guys, they had a pretty decent deal on their Monster Microfiber towels. i just bought a pack....MICROFIBER BIG MONSTER TOWEL ....theres the link...3 24x17`s for about $17, they also have 3 of their 16x16`s for sale for $10...not too bad for the thickness they appear to have (thou i cant say for sure, never ordered from them before, but im hoping for the best!)....Shipping is free, and shows they`ll be here tomorrow so you can bet as soon as i use them ill leave a post.

Im checkin out automagic right now and have to admit Poorboys is starting to catch my eye. From the reviews ive seen here i might give some of their products a try when money allows me to. Any other good sites anyone can recommend?
    Last edited by admin; 10-28-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Link to Competitor

Post Thanks / Like

I just reach to my left a little bit lol

I would highly recommend autogeek or if you are looking into the poorboy`s line you can get if from us poorboysworld.com if you have any questions about the products feel free to call (845) 215-9700 be glad to talk to you

Kris's Car Care
    Post Thanks / Like

I do between 25 and 50 cars a year. I have been meeting with a Pro distributer for the last 3 or 4 years. He comes to a local car dealership every other week. Since he is in the area already he don`t mind if i only buy a gallon of wax or a five gallon of tire dressing. I have done the math and buying in bulk is a noticeable savings.
    I have over the last two years tried to plan in the spring time what i will use for the rest of the year and use money that i have saved from each car and purchase a few hundred dollars worth of supplies. Between the times that he is up I have also order from pb site or other sites on the net.
    most of the companies have a link on their site that will either direct you to an authorized dealer near you or offer you to become a distributer.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrWillsi3 View Post
    Good posts so far! I live in Arizona thou True, would i still have access to this truck way out here lol? If so, how do i get in contact with them?
    Go to their sites. They have nationwide distributors. Send them an email with your location and they`ll send you a number to your local guy. If there is a dealership around theres a good chance there is truck around.

You should try buying some towels locally too. Sams club, or costco, you can get big 20-30 packs of terrycloth,microfiber, cotton diaper towels that will do the job just as good. Unless you`re working on a 1/4 million dollar cars and need it so perfect that you couldn`t see a mark under a microscope, i don`t see a point in spending 20 bucks for 2 or 3 towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, i got to Auto Magics website, how do i check out the Ardex Truck you were talking about. I dont see a website for them....or an email...or are they affiliated with AutoMagic?

And I also read up in another post about the Sams club 24pack for $10...im gonna definately get those as soon as i get a membership card, probably this weekend. Thou i do still want to have my big towels lol....they will mostly be used for home thou

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sullysdetailing View Post
    I get 99% of my supplies from www.autogeek.net Since I live in Florida the shipping is free and there is always some sort of deal going on along with discounts for members of there forum and this one. there Buy one Gey ones are always great. The Auto Geek team is always ready to help you.
    Same here. Its nice to just get everything you need from one place. I will drop in at Four Star for marine stuff here and there but thats just because I live by them. If you check autogeeks buy one get one regularly you can always find good products there. As for sizes to buy you have to look at what you use the most of and try and buy those in bigger than 8oz sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy about 90% of my stuff threw Steve at Poorboys, the rest is OTC and that`s mainly glass cleaner and a few other things.

Depending on what you are ordering a gallon or quart is not that much and will last you a long time. The up front cost can be a tad high but look at how many cars you can do with that.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that kind of what i was thinking Beemer, as far as payin everything up front, but being set for a while as well. I want to start incorporating my PC into detailing, it would be easier, look better and i could hopefully make a little more, but i honestly want to practice it first at home and make sure I`m good @ what im doing. Our car is pretty marred up with light scratches (but a lot of them lol), swirl marks and so fourth. I think if i can get THIS thing looking good, then id feel more comfortable working on someone elses to a further degree than a wash and wax (which is what i do now). I`d just like to be able to look @ a car and have an IDEA of what it needs (product and work wise) and how long i`ll need, and what im capable of with a PC, cause im not goin near anything else until i master this thing lol. So whatever i buy, i consider an investment not only in the product, but in myself and getting better at what i do. I just dont want to go broke in the process :-D

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had nothing less than a great experience in dealing with Steve at Poorboys World and AG for that matter. I also have a local detailers supply house but find their products are way inferior to what the two above mentioned sites offer. I have bought MF towels from family dollar that work fine on lighter colored paint and wheels and the like. I get the DMT towels from Steve for the high dollar and dark colored cars. I did about 25 cars this summer but have spent a few G`s on tools and product and have done a ton of free details to get the practice. I try to reinvest at least 50 % of the money I make detailing back into the effort. I find that gallons work best for me. Good luck, TD

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just don`t buy everything that everyone says is good, or whatever is a "hot topic". Do your research, read a lot.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    Just don`t buy everything that everyone says is good, or whatever is a "hot topic". Do your research, read a lot.
    I agree take your time in buying products. You can overwhelm yourself with to much at one time!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information