Post Thanks / Like

Another New Guy from OHIO! :)

Hello everyone!
    I just wanted to introduce myself (finally) to this wonder website/fourm. I`ve been a member for a some time but, but because of my schedule it`s been hard to get involved. I 34yrs old, and been detailing off/on since I was 17. I`m really looking at a career change and starting a Mobile Detailing business.(I work currently as a Security Contractor in Iraq/Afghanistan) BUT, I`m really looking at some real advice on this business.

With the economy, is this a bad time to start something like this fulltime? (I would start next Spring) Also, would it be wise to offer more services than just Detailing ,i.e. Headlight Reconditioning, Windshield Repair, Pressure Washing Decks, ect.

Any advice from you guys would be MUCH apprerciated! I reaally look forward to your help. PJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another New Guy from OHIO! :)

Welcome back to DC !!

When do you return from Iraq?

Lots of good people/info here so ask your questions.

Enjoy !
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

to DC from Cleveland. What part of Ohio are you from.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello PJ.

Welcome to DC. Depending on how studious you are, you can learn everything you need to know about detailing by pouring over threads here or checking out all the how-tos on autogeek.net. You might even be able to meet up with one of the pros on here in your area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Welcome back to DC !!

When do you return from Iraq?

Lots of good people/info here so ask your questions.

Enjoy !
    I`ve been back for a couple of weeks now. But might be heading back(A-stan this time) in a few more weeks. I`ve been doning this for 3 1/2yrs, and before that, did 4 tours in Iraq! I really need a career change, lol!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwgtivw View Post
    to DC from Cleveland. What part of Ohio are you from.
    I`m in Columbus. I`m hoping I can "start-up" in late Spring hopfully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    Hello PJ.

Welcome to DC. Depending on how studious you are, you can learn everything you need to know about detailing by pouring over threads here or checking out all the how-tos on autogeek.net. You might even be able to meet up with one of the pros on here in your area.

Do you think the economy would support this type of business? Should I also do "add-on" services as well, like Windshield Repair, Headlight Recondioning,ect?

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pj2051 View Post
    Do you think the economy would support this type of business? Should I also do "add-on" services as well, like Windshield Repair, Headlight Recondioning,ect?
    No reason not to offer the add-ons. They can only help. As far as the economy supporting it, you won`t know until you try. Doing quality work with confidence will get repeat business and word of mouth customers. Your marketing skills will be a factor as to how fast the business grows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, I look forward to learning more for you guys on here! I`m looking at launching a all out marketing campaign this Spring. Planing on Mailers,Door Hangers,Radio,Local New Paper, Flyers. Just to test to see what form of advertising works best.

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Word of mouth is probably better advertising. Do some free or half price exterior paint corrections and take pictures for a photo album to show to possible customers. Maybe some fenders or hoods that are taped down the middle for a before and after exhibit. Maybe I should do that myself. Dont undersell the services you are offering. Figure out a value per hour rate. I use $15/hour as my base on figuring the exterior, (wife does interior) neither one of us are jumping around the vehichle. We started a white Chevy 13 passenger van yesterday. It took 2 hours to wash, 45 minutes on tires and wheels (no scrubbing), 2 hours total for PWS on the sides and EX on the roof. I might go back in today and put Ex on the sides. Interior is a mess for my wife to take care of. (Construction vehichle). Exterior was in very good condition with only swirls on roof above rear doors,( I left them as its close to 7 feet high and no one will see. I was using a Little Giant ladder and was up on 4th step for the roof. Other non perfect area was where the guys grab for the door handle. Well im running late, better go.

Post Thanks / Like

to the City!
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

AWD + 5k = :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m in Columbus as well! (Westerville)

Thread Information