Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Motivation is Gone

I don`t know what has happened, but I`ve lost my motivation for detailing cars. I might be in some type of slump or something. Have any of you felt like that and how did you get your motivation back?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motivation is Gone

Yep - to an extent I am still feeling that way. Other things seem to have crept in and stolen my attention.

One way I "got better" was to lower my expectations on my personal vehicles used as daily drivers. They are never going to be 100%, and I was running myself to death trying to keep them that way. I feel like that lead to part of my disillusionment with detailing.

The more you know from reading on the boards, the easier it is to pick apart everything about your vehicles. Sometimes ignorance (or ignoring) is a good thing. I was making mountains out of molehills and taking all the fun out of it.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

We all go threw this at times, it will wear off soon enough don`t worry
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I call it the peaks and valley`s of life. Sometimes your in the valley and sometimes your on the mountain. Just work through it you may just need a break!
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

ive been there before ..just take your car to the car wash for awhile and then your motivation will come back ..
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Detail a car you know will look good in the end.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have it at times. Usually when a car isn`t going my way. I have days where working at McDonalds would be great.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

I understand. I have gone from "it must be perfect 100% of the time" to "Bah, I`ll get to it when I get to it." That`s for our cars. The heat & humidity (a constant) where I live will suck the motivation right out of you even if you`re all pumped up to "get`r done".

Post Thanks / Like

I`m passionate about detailing, but I do think I need a break. The past couple of weeks have been a little hectic. Working my full-time gig, going to school, and then detailing cars on the weekend can get a little hectic. I keep telling myself I need to slow down, but I`m passionate about it. When my phone rings and it`s someone wanting to get their car done, it`s hard to say no. I`m starting to think I`m afraid to say no, which might be part of the problem. It might sound crazy, but I feel if I tell a person I can`t get to their car they might feel like I`m blowing them off, then they might try to give me a bad name. I know it might sound crazy, but some people out there are just so sensitive.

@Bigron62: LOL!! That might do it. Part of the reason why I detail cars now.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one more car to detail on my calender, next weekend Toyota Prius I think, I found my saying just yesterday, "I hope this is the last detail of the season." In all reallity the "winterize my car" season has just begun here in central PA. I to am involved in too much stuff and might need a break. But I know that if they call I will do. I don`t want to miss out on any word of mouth advertizing. I too like Big Ron`s Idea. One of the other tennants here ran his Harley into my drivers side rear door and now I don`t even want to wash the darned car. Good luck getting your detailing mojo back. TD

Post Thanks / Like

On the 17th of June I had artificial disc`s put in my back.
    That will take away any motivation to do anything along with detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Black Bart: Sorry to hear that! That would make me not want to do anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    I have days where working at McDonalds would be great.
    I don`t know about all that Tex. I think I`d rather work @ Subway were I could be known as a sandwich artist. Lot`s of detail goes into those sandwich`s you know.
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

I dropped out of detailing for a whole host of reasons but what worries me is why I do not start up again. For me it all boils down to what I want to do. I do not understand why I want to do nothing. I love shiny trucks and had one for a lot of years. Now I do not have a shiny anything and I feel bad. Do I detail my vehicle now...No, but my step son did clean and wash the car for the first time in his life...now that he has his drivers license and wants the use of the vehicle for something other than going to school. Girls come to mind..HMMMMM

I read the forum to wet my appetite much in the same way I did when I wanted to start eating again. "Iron Chef", "Dinners, Diners, and Dives", Paula`s Party and many more all were helpful. Somehow it seems to not be working this time. I know what I need to do.....just do it!!
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Going through this as well. Just need a break from time to time. I just never feel like I am done. I leave a detail thinking about what I might have missed. You have to draw the line somewhere. I had a box of q-tips out on my last detail. At least the summer is over. Florida heat and humidity doesn`t help with the motivation.
    www.customautodetailing.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information