Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Starting a Mobile Service

Hey Everyone!!! I`m DT. I`m new to Detail City and I`m looking for a little advice in starting a mobile service. I`ve been detailing cars for 9 years and for the past two years I`ve been doing it as a side hustle for extra money.

Next summer I`m looking to make this official. I`ve been working on a business plan, logo, etc. Currently I`m detailing cars from a Blazer, but my customers don`t mind me using there water or electricity, which I`m very thankful for. My uncle has a driveway that he doesn`t use so sometimes I`m able to detail cars there.

I`m in Buffalo, NY so going mobile only limits me to late spring and maybe early fall. That also limits the money I make as well. I`m just looking for a little advice and every little jewel is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a Mobile Service

Lots of info on this here, use the search feature to with key words and watch what pop`s up
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t worry about investing in a mobile water tank, generator etc initially. To be honest I bought all that stuff up front and haven`t used it yet. Customers are usually so happy that you come to them that they don`t mind giving you access to water or electricity - Plus you can save some money by not buying these big ticket items. Now if you are gonig to do details in areas that don`t have access to water/electric then that`s another story. Just my two cents.
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn`t hurt to check out you other competition in the area and see what they offer service wise etc.It`s always smart to know what you are up against etc.Before a outlay of a large amount of cash consider what your goals or expectations are.Determination and a good work ethic will go a long way to helping you to be successful.

Paul S

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. There is a big name car wash and detail shop that everyone is familiar with and I use to work for them. Some of the customers I do have remember me from working there some years back. They are always saying how bad the quality is that they receive. I never bad mouth a competitor, but I listen to the customers and try to give that quality that they are looking for. The area that I live in is within five miles of this detail shop. What I charge I know is not as cheap as the car wash, but they want quality.

I`ve checked out other car washes/detail shops in Buffalo and its surrounding areas to see what they charge and the different services they offer. As of right now I`m doing hand washes, hand waxes, full details, shampoos, and engine cleaning. At this point I`m trying to get comfortable buffing a car. I practiced on my car and did pretty well, but I want to feel like its second nature. Also, I see there is some pretty good money with paint correction, headlight restoration and dent removal.

Post Thanks / Like

First thing I would look into is the cost of business license(s) and insurance. Also, it might be a good idea to look into the local ordinances regarding environmental issues.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuddleston View Post
    I wouldn`t worry about investing in a mobile water tank, generator etc initially. To be honest I bought all that stuff up front and haven`t used it yet. Customers are usually so happy that you come to them that they don`t mind giving you access to water or electricity - Plus you can save some money by not buying these big ticket items. Now if you are gonig to do details in areas that don`t have access to water/electric then that`s another story. Just my two cents.
    No offense intended here and I`m not calling you out. You`re not really in the business of being a Professional Mobile Detailer without the equipment required to cover the range of services you offer without relying on your customer. Driving to a customers home and saying, "where do I hook up?" just screams rookie or fly by night. You might make a few bucks but you won`t make a name for yourself.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I suggest that you read all the threads concerning getting started and bussiness management here at DC. there is a lot of good ideas in them. Good luck..TD

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and don`t forget about the sales tax you have to pay sales tax on any money you claim . At least in KS you do there is even a special law written up that addresses this. However, on the flip side you are sales tax exempt on any of the products you buy. It is pretty simple if it is just you but gets more complicated if you have an employee then you have to pay all kinds of stuff because technically you cannot just give them a 1099. However, laws vary from state to state so just make sure you check in to all of these things. Also don`t try to deduct something you bought on-line and didn`t pay sales tax on because that`s how they catch you! Technically you are supposed to file use tax on anything you buy on-line that you aren`t taxed on.
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

For the past two years I`ve been doing this as a side hustle to earn some extra money. Everything that I`ve earned I`ve saved to buy new supplies and equipment. When I make it official next year I will continue to go part-time like I am now. I`m aware of some of the equipment I need that I don`t have right now. I know at some point I will need a generator and water tank and at times I feel bad that I pulling up to a customers residence without my own water/energy supply. I`m thankful though they let me use theirs and continue to refer me to others. I know what exactly what you mean Gearhead. I don`t want to come off like that........like I"m some fly by night detailer. I`m in this for the long haul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    No offense intended here and I`m not calling you out. You`re not really in the business of being a Professional Mobile Detailer without the equipment required to cover the range of services you offer without relying on your customer. Driving to a customers home and saying, "where do I hook up?" just screams rookie or fly by night. You might make a few bucks but you won`t make a name for yourself.
    Well considering I don`t advertise and I have received referals from every customer I have done I`ll take that image. In Lawrence, KS I can almost guarantee I am the best around. My customers actually appreciate the personal touch of coming to their house and maybe it`s a midwest thing but IMO it isn`t a big deal at all to use someone elses electric and water source. If they didn`t want me using their water or electric I would bring my generator, portable water tank, presure washer and water pump but just doesn`t make alot of sense to me. I guess it depends on your comfort level in dealing with people and where you live. I personally just wish I would have saved that money and not initially purchased all that stuff up front.
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can think of some very good detailers that don`t have their own water or electric when they are mobile.

I stopped lugging around my generator long ago and it has rarely caused a problem for me. Today was the first time that it was a little inconvenient. I had to run my cord out of a second story window but I still got the job done and I didn`t have a noisy generator bugging everyone around me.

Billy (Presidential Detail) comes to mind when I think about a good detailer that goes mobile without his own water or electric. I doubt anyone here would view him as less than pro for that.

I do see your point though about having a professional appearance. I just don`t think being self-contained should be a factor. I know many self-contained detailers around here that I consider terrible detailers.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and Welcome to DC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    I know many self-contained detailers around here that I consider terrible detailers.
    I wasn`t making a case saying that because you have the equipment automatically means you use it well. We use to tie this mindset into Auto Mechanics and ASE Certification. The fact that someone can pass a paper test does not mean they can turn a wrench. It may only mean they are good at taking tests. On the other hand if the person can`t pass the test to get the certification they might justify a further look.

I know a couple of good detailers in my area. Both of these people have accounts where they go to a business center and do several cars a couple of times per week. They`ve told me that they have customers they`ve never met or only met one time. The keys for their vehicles are at the front desk when they arrive. There request for the week is on a previously left behind work order and they either have a card # or a check waiting for them when finished.

These detailers would be hard pressed to service this type of account without the equipment. I also don`t mean to imply that one has to drag all the equipment with you daily but if you don`t have it you have limited your potential or your type of customer to some degree.

I should not have made such a blanket statement saying a guy couldn`t make a living without this stuff, especially since I don`t do this professionally. In fact I`m sure they can assuming they know their clients, their clients needs and their own limitations. Heck I guess a guy could show up and use the customers products and supplies for that matter. If you have all the business you need without owning this stuff life is all the better.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

No worries here I guess I took it the wrong way. Bottom line is this site is instrumental to me since I am in an area that this line of business isn`t something that alot of people do. I personally have a full time job and do this on the side but it is truely a passion of mine as it is for most of the people on here obviously. If I could make a living doing this I`d quit my job today. I still have alot to learn and a customer base that needs to grow but one day I hope to do this for a living. I have learned alot of valuable information on this site and definatly don`t want to piss anyone off. TGIF
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information