Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Starting a new business at home

It seems people think they can do whatever they want for many reasons. This said, just because you buy a home pay property taxes you still need to talk to the local government. You need to check on the city`s guidelines pertaining to home based businesses. The laws vary from state to state town to town. Some are great and easy they are receptive to at home businesses and encourage them. Others are more stringent and make the process a nightmare often not worth the effort.

As with any new idea you must follow and check the rules before investing 1 cent in today`s markets. Things you felt were not guides that your new biz must follow are in fact yours to know about and obey before hand. Asking for forgiveness after the fact is a nice idea but in most cases will not fly. You are required by the towns terms to find out the info before starting anything. These rules are in place not to deter small biz just keep things from getting out of hand before people have problems.

How would you like to have 3-4 hundred -K invested in your home and have a neighbor starting a junk yard next door ? Or having a neighbor running a livestock piggery out the back ?

Common sense is sometimes not used because people think because they spent some cash they have the RIGHT to do WHAT THEY WANT.

I am sure you can understand its to help all the people not just single out and pick on a fue.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a new business at home

and keeps me in business
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

im confused where this post came from...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Gus View Post
    im confused where this post came from...
    I`m guessing that its in light of a recent DC member that was ratted out by his neighbors for detailing cars in his garage.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh i read that thread... just didnt put two and two together...i understand where he is coming from... but let me pose this question... say he was washing and detailing his parents cars and his familys and not charging... Who`s business is it to say he can or cant use his time and materials to do so? methinks the person who got caught who was trying to do this stealth like was causing too much of a ruckus!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Gus View Post
    Ahh i read that thread... just didnt put two and two together...i understand where he is coming from... but let me pose this question... say he was washing and detailing his parents cars and his familys and not charging... Who`s business is it to say he can or cant use his time and materials to do so? methinks the person who got caught who was trying to do this stealth like was causing too much of a ruckus!
    If you wanted to wash and wax two or three cars every weekend in your own driveway, unless there is a city run off ordinance. There should be no issue and nothing that the neighbors could say about it.

What I think happened is that he was advertising on the net and that`s what the neighbors where complaining about, thinking that he was running a detail biz from a residential area.

That doesn`t mean that he has to stop IMO, just don`t take the cash at the time of the delivery

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

in my opinion... since i cant stand the gov`t... they are involved way to much these days.. do some work and make a few bucks.. no need to report what you are doing.. that just sounds crazy to me.. i think of when i was a kid mowing lawns making a few bucks and i used to hand flyers out for that... nowadays you cant do that.. you gotta get a license and insurance.. its ridiculous.. they just wanna take more of your money and pi$$ it away.... so if your just looking to do something simple and small out of your home, than why bother with all the bull...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some Federal Tax info:

If you are a dependent (a deduction on your parent`s return) and meet the following you have to file taxes.

# Your unearned income was more than $850.
    # Your earned income was more than $5,350.
    # Your gross income was more than the larger of a) $850, or b) your earned income (up to $5050) plus $300.

For non-dependents, you must file if:

* If you’re under 65 and…:
    o Single, and your gross income was at least $8,750.

Obviously the govt is looking for people trying to hide income as dependents.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    If you wanted to wash and wax two or three cars every weekend in your own driveway, unless there is a city run off ordinance. There should be no issue and nothing that the neighbors could say about it.
    What if he has three or four cars parked out of his driveway, partially in the road and blocking part of the street? In a street full of town homes with parking for one or two? What if he`s listening to music loudly the whole time? What if he runs a pressure washer that`s noisy the entire time?

I could understand as long as someone isn`t some sort of nuisance. the minute they start disrupting the peace and quiet of a neighborhood or cul-de-sac, then it`s an issue.

I detail vehicles at my home sometimes. it helps to be on good terms with the neighbors, and ask if that sort of thing bothers them in any way. I have asked neighbors on both sides of my home at different times if that would inconvenience them in any during normal mailbox chatter, and they have said not at all.

Lots of variables in this dilemma. Everyone whats to banter on about "having rights." Well, the property owners next door have the "right" not to be bothered on their property. Your "rights" stop being such when they impede on the "rights" of others. No matter how much in the right you feel, if you`re operating a business out of your home in a residential area without approval or licensing from the local government, you`re most likely in the wrong and wouldn`t be able to defend that in court.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

JP...What I was driving at was that if he had one or two cars at a time in his own driveway...baring in mind that the neighbors are already watching just tone it down some...it would be no far greater than washing and detailing his own car every weekend. I am like you, I`ve talked to all my neighbors and no one cares, most have become customers or asked for advice on something.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    What if he has three or four cars parked out of his driveway, partially in the road and blocking part of the street? In a street full of town homes with parking for one or two? What if he`s listening to music loudly the whole time? What if he runs a pressure washer that`s noisy the entire time?
    99% of towns neighborhoods boroughs townships and states have whats called Start work and Stop Work Ordinances... where at that time you can mow yer lawn or make any or all the noise you want... power washing your house or car using a chainsaw to cut down tree`s or bushes lawnmowers.. it doesnt matter.. around here 6:30 is start work... so if my neighbor feels like mowing the lawn at that time (and he has) noone can say anything to him.. im on good terms with my neighbors and all but sometimes there is nothing you can do at 7 am if someone wants to work on something... now if they dont stop making noise after the stop work time.. 8:30 here.. thats when you can take action.. just things that should be looked into.. sure your neighbors wont like you but in the end his freshly washed and detailed car may be egged or keyed.. thats for him to decide lol

Thread Information