Post Thanks / Like

Struggling to make ends meet

I am not new to detailing. I have never owned a detailing business but I have done friend and family cars for years. I live in NYC and Im trying to figure out how to make ends meet. I was recently layed off from work. I need to make money and the only real skill I have is detailing. My problem is getting started I dont have a garage or a great loctaion to start with. How would I go about advertising and I would be willing to travel to my clients location if they can provide electricity and water. Remember money is a serious issue so until I get my feet on the ground there not much I can purchase to help like a generator for electricity.
    My biggest challenge is trying not to wash my car. Is that a problem.

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Struggling to make ends meet

Quote Originally Posted by dafowl1 View Post
    I am not new to detailing. I have never owned a detailing business but I have done friend and family cars for years. I live in NYC and Im trying to figure out how to make ends meet. I was recently layed off from work. I need to make money and the only real skill I have is detailing. My problem is getting started I dont have a garage or a great loctaion to start with. How would I go about advertising and I would be willing to travel to my clients location if they can provide electricity and water. Remember money is a serious issue so until I get my feet on the ground there not much I can purchase to help like a generator for electricity.
    Why not try a detail business that is already running? Go talk to the owner and help him out first.You will also get some hands on experience and product knowledge and get paid.No risk,then form your plan while gaining experience all in one.

Remember good help is hard to find in everything and you can see what direction the business pushes you in from their.

I know you asked about working for yourself but consider the above info I provided.In a new biz you gotta have cash to weather the storm when things are slow.Its not easy to get off the ground and run.

Hope this helps, And good luck with your new idea...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Struggling to make ends meet

Go to businesses that let you post business cards. Especially that cater to people that come from residential neighnorhood. Since you`re in Queens, llok at areas like Little Neck, Douglaston etc.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advise guys Im going to try and do both. maybe I could find a job detailing and make my own money on the side.
    My biggest challenge is trying not to wash my car. Is that a problem.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this will cost money, but I`d suggest that you look into all the legal stuff of running a business in your area(license, insurance, bylaws etc.) and make sure you`ve taken care of all of it. All you`d need is 1 "oops" and without insurance, you`re sunk. Also, if you don`t have a business license etc., 1 fine and it could be all over.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

I mean no offense here and I am very sorry to hear of your current state but I don`t think launching a new business in this current economy is the smart move.

There are all sorts of start up costs to haggle with and add to that the likely hood of everyone in your area feeling the economic pinch which means they cut back on "frill spending" (which detailing is) which then means you might be in the same or even worse position you are now in.

Take the advice to look into getting in with an already established detailing business then if things get better with the economy (which most likely they won`t anytime soon) you can branch out on your own.

Anthony

Thread Information