Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a small detailing business

Hey guys,

I`m 17 and looking to get started in detailing as a quick way to make some summer spending money. I don`t know how to wax or polish (work in progress), but thats not really one of my issues right now and I don`t think theres that many people in my area that will pay for that. So to all the young guys out there:

How do you guys advertise your business?

How many cars do you usually get in a given week/weekend?

What products do you use (Meg`s Pro stuff or just regular Consumer Line)?

Do you impose an extra charge on bigger cars?

Any tips/tricks on how to improve efficiency without hiring somebody?

Thanks alot
    Whoever said that anything is possible never tried slamming a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting a small detailing business

Also I`m in the process of designing a flyer and plan to put some "package deals" on the flyer. I will also offer "a-la-carte" detailing, but would prefer to leave that out of the flyer. Just wanted to know if you guys think these prices are reasonable.

Mini - Detail — $35
    Exterior: Includes hand washing all exterior surfaces and hand drying.
    Interior: Includes quick dusting and dressing of dashboard and console, windows are cleaned.

Express Detail — $85
    Exterior: Mini-Detail plus: tire/wheel dressing and application of RainX on all windows.
    Interior: Mini-Detail plus: vacuuming, slight spot removal, all leather/plastic/vinyl is cleaned.

Super Detail — $170
    Exterior: Express Detail plus: removal of paint contaminants and Carnauba waxing.
    Interior: Express Detail plus: meticulous cleaning and conditioning of entire interior.

I plan to wash using Mother`s soap, seeing as I have 8 jugs laying around. For interior dusting its just going to be a static or MF cloth. I will use #40 as a dressing. For the express detail and the super detail, its going to be a Woolite/Water mix as opposed to just dusting. I have Hot Shine Tire Spray as a tire dressing and Invisible Glass for all the glass cleaning stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

May I suggest McDonalds or a shoe store?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No offense, but you have a lot to learn before you should even consider starting up a business.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Do more research.
    POLLEN is Evil

Post Thanks / Like

first insurance, second TWO buckets, third determination. Anyone can wash a car not everyone can properly start/run a true detail business, if you want to make some extra $ wash,wash,wash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy View Post
    No offense, but you have a lot to learn before you should even consider starting up a business.
    I already have a small business. I just figure this would be a good way to make some extra money since its something I enjoy doing.

Any POSITIVE assistance would be gladly appreciated. I don`t need people telling me to go work at McD`s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerndetail View Post
    first insurance, second TWO buckets, third determination. Anyone can wash a car not everyone can properly start/run a true detail business, if you want to make some extra $ wash,wash,wash
    insurance? what kind? this is the first time i`ve heard of that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know how it works in the frozen north, but I pay $286 a year for a million dollar cverage plan. This covers pretty much everything you could do wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I think right now it`s just best to think of a different business to start.......

I started at age 16 detailing my family`s cars to make sure I have all of the methods down with a PC and Rotary to correct paint.........

At age 18, I just started to get my name out, and started to do customers cars.

It`s a long, and expensive hobby to get into, you better make sure you know what you are going to do.

Post Thanks / Like

"Detailing" is alot more than "Wash n Wax", hence the name "Detailing".

Learn the craft (and it really is a craft). Then go make a business out of it.

You`re comment is like me saying I`m gonna be a carpenter.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 240SX View Post
    I already have a small business. I just figure this would be a good way to make some extra money since its something I enjoy doing.

Any POSITIVE assistance would be gladly appreciated. I don`t need people telling me to go work at McD`s
    Let me clarify. I should have said that you have a lot to learn before you should even consider starting up a detailing business. In my opinion, you shouldn`t call it detailing if you`re not doing any correction. You will be starting up a mobile car wash. Insurance is a great idea. I highly suggest taking a lot of time to read information on this site. Business plans have been discussed and are readily available. Techniques and products are also subjects that are brought up quite frequently here.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t let them discourage you. There are a lot of things you need to learn as do allot of us here but if you are wanting to start up a side business for some extra money go for it. As long as your customers are happy and you are doing a thorough job for what you are charging it beats working at McDonalds. I would recommend getting insurance though - general liability insurance is very inexpensive I think I pay around $135/year for a million dollar policy. A lot of good information on this site keep reading.
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Post Thanks / Like

Let me clarify. I should have said that you have a lot to learn before you should even consider starting up a detailing business. In my opinion, you shouldn`t call it detailing if you`re not doing any correction. You will be starting up a mobile car wash. Insurance is a great idea. I highly suggest taking a lot of time to read information on this site. Business plans have been discussed and are readily available. Techniques and products are also subjects that are brought up quite frequently here.
    Ah ok, sorry about that.

Thanks for the help guys, but I think i`m going to take this summer to hone my skills and learn as much as I can and possibly start detailing next summer.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot that you can do this summer in car wash n wax services. Detailing is not the term that you want to use for this service.I started out doing this.

You mainly are a car washing service and what your customers get is convenience from this. What will get you repeat business is doing your best job, or better than the local car washes, stay competitive with pricing on these and your customers will come back to you.

Don`t be afraid to call them back once a month or less and ask if they are ready for another car wash.

A young HS kid in my neighborhood was doing this and made a good amount of money from it while delivering a good service to his customers
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information