Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newb mobile detail

Hi dickie. For practice and a little extra cash to get you going. You may want to approach companies with fleet vehicles. Just a basic wash vacuum and wipe down. If you quote them a fair price you may have more work than you can handle and allow you to get a good detail business off the ground without you having to starve;moreover, if the company people that drive those fleet vehicles like your work then thats where your detailing customer contacts come in.Take it from me this approach is well worth it. My aircraft detailing side is a bit slow at the moment but my fleet washing and auto detailing side is doing great I work everyday.Most of my detail work has come from people who actually drive the fleet vehicles I wash. Thats how I got started and it has worked well for me.

97' Chevy Silverado 4x4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    ok then from your description ... you sound like you need to open a wash and wax business dude... no corrections it`s hard to make a living doing this.
    You need a lot of customers each day to make enough to make it worth while.
    My suggestion is to get a job with a different detailer or body shop, even if you have to volunteer and suck out as much info and experience in using machines
    WEll The MAIN reason I start my business, The past 2 years I have tried to get into detailing but all the shops around here they just say they are not hiring. Or they are family operated they just stick to their selves. I asked and asked this guy that does mobile detail`s if he needed help, but he just kept blowing me off, so now I`m tryin to start something on my own....I wish I could find training around my area...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dickie View Post
    WEll The MAIN reason I start my business, The past 2 years I have tried to get into detailing but all the shops around here they just say they are not hiring. Or they are family operated they just stick to their selves. I asked and asked this guy that does mobile detail`s if he needed help, but he just kept blowing me off, so now I`m tryin to start something on my own....I wish I could find training around my area...
    Hi dickie. I read your last post. If you want to learn to detail listen to the vets on this forum. I`ve gotten alot of valuble info off this site. As far as training goes practice practice practice... practice on your ride approach family and friends and do their rides. repitition is the best training. Read product labels know what the product you are using is capable of doing and what damage it can cause as well. If you have a question ask.... these guys are always willing to give advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickie,

Why have you not been studying, I`ve been looking for you.And your never on here doing a forum search?

Hope all is well with you and tha lil family

Post Thanks / Like

Dickie,

I`ve been running a mobile detail for the last 2 years part time. It could easily be a full-time gig but I`m active duty military so it`s hard to quit that one. I do only wash/wax/int details. Hire some help and work on your reputation. Take the extra time to make sure you do a god job and then as you get some experience and get in a routine your jobs will speed up. Your name/rep will be everything.

97' Chevy Silverado 4x4
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You to everyone.. Yes I was running around like a chicken w/ his head cut off hehe. IMO I have slowed down. My business is fully legit now(I`ve stopped worryin).. But now getting customers is a problem for me I`ve only done 3 cars(friends) 1 truck(g/fs dad)
    1 customer that I put a flyer on his door step he got a basic w/wax

If anyone could help w/ ideas on getting customers, things seem to be slower and slower on jobs.

Ryan aka Dickie

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

...If anyone could help w/ ideas on getting customers, things seem to be slower and slower on jobs.

Ryan aka Dickie
    Word of mouth. Trite but true. You might encourage your friends and family (those you have already satisfied w/your detail services) to help get the word out.

You could "sweeten the pot" by providing your references with discounted services for each job booked based on their referral.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a mobile detailing business as well, and I have to agree with word of mouth. Use your friends and family to promote your business at their places of work. Detail their cars free and give them business cards to hand out when someone comments on how good their car looks. Bring up what you do at any and all opportunities in a conversation. I have a tank in the back of my truck that has my business name and phone number and just simply driving that to work I have done 5 cars, which 4 of them were all referrals from the first employee`s car I detailed. If I didn`t already have a full-time job I would probably market a little heavier, but I figure word of mouth is like a pyramid scheme that will keep growing. In addition, although I am mobile if I can do the job at my own garage I prefer to do that as well. However, detailing at the owners location also has it`s own marketing benefits especially in a nicer suburban neighborhood
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you may want to have a 2" by 3" proffessional looking sign made up and place it right at the end of their driveway when you are detailing. With the clients permission of course. This has gotten me quite a few jobs this way.

97' Chevy Silverado 4x4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    you may want to have a 2" by 3" proffessional looking sign made up and place it right at the end of their driveway when you are detailing. With the clients permission of course. This has gotten me quite a few jobs this way.
    I will look into a sign for the future.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with just going to neighborhoods and pass out flyer`s door to door. I had 200 tri fold 2sided brochures made, and planned on this.....

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

... I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with just going to neighborhoods and pass out flyer`s door to door. I had 200 tri fold 2sided brochures made, and planned on this.....
    IMO a terrible attempt at marketing. Put a flyer on my door and the best scenario is it goes directly into the trash w/o notice. The worst is you get a call from me regarding my opinion of your placing of litter on my property.

Hand them to your clients and ask them to share.

97' Chevy Silverado 4x4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    IMO a terrible attempt at marketing. Put a fly er on my door and the best scenario is it goes directly into the trash w/o notice. The worst is you get a call from me regarding my opinion of your placing of litter on my property.

Hand them to your clients and ask them to share.
    Thanks, sounds right he he, I`m just so eager to get clients, I don`t have a client base at all. I do 3 vehicle`s for my friend, told him with every referral would work out something with him. Done g/F`s dad vehicle but lives 200miles from us. I actually went door to door around my area(shouldn`t of done) and left brochures, 1 guy called and wanted a basic w/wax charged him 120 w/first time discount of 15% 08 dodge durango picked it up at golf course and dropped it off and he looked inside and out and said nice job. wow sorry about so much explaining.. lol I`m having a hard time with doing details for people I know to get referals.

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

For the past year and ahalf been living in apartments, 3 weeks ago moved into a house but no garage. thats one of my problems.
    Why not get a small canopy and work in the driveway as long as the landlord is OK with that.

97' Chevy Silverado 4x4
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njcarting1 View Post
    Why not get a small canopy and work in the driveway as long as the landlord is OK with that.
    Ya I bought a 12x20 canopy at tractor supply for 90 bucks.

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dickie, flash and i were talking a few weeks back about putting cards at golf course and talking to the manager about doing cars for clients there while they play golf,offer to do managers car as a perk for him and they could play 12 holes and come back to a freshly washed and waxed car. Sounds like you got nothing to lose by trying. Good luck, customers will come, do good work and be honest the rest will work out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information