Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picked up a large dealership account.

All I have to say is, I am BUSY. I am still squeezing in some retail accounts, but not currently accepting new clients. (Unless they own an exotic or something )

I have anywhere from 3-5 a day at the present time. I am told in the next month, that should triple. So far, the managers love the work, as well as the salesmen. Plus I bring them donuts in the morning.

Some comments from the manager are: I am one of the hardest workers he has seen; I`m a car cleaning machine; I`m a dedicated SOB.... LOL.

Most of the days, I am there at 6:30-7AM (1-1.5 hrs before anyone gets there) til 8:30-9PM (30min-1hr after everyone leaves) Whether it be working on the cars to just finishing up and chatting for a few hours, I try to keep my face around.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as YOU are happy with the work thats all that matters. How much is wholesale to a dealership? Just in case their sales picks up and they call me. Do they supply everything? Or just building water and utilities?

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it`s going well. Interesting that you are seeing so many trade-ins and auction buys (assumption on both parts). I`ve been talking with the wholesaler that I buy through and he is seeing a real slow down in the number of dealer trades.

Have you been able to source any good help? To detail 3-5 vehicles a day every day (even 1-stepping) means that you are moving your donkey. And to work it 14 hours daily, the hard working description is apt. If you weren`t before, you are going to be in some kind of shape, or broke down somewhere.

JMO, but they ought to be bringing you the donuts. A clean shiney car helps make their job easier.

Keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with the account Texas B. In this industry if you are too busy your doing something right.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, a steady flow of cars is a great thing

Post Thanks / Like

You must be tired! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RANDAL View Post
    As long as YOU are happy with the work thats all that matters. How much is wholesale to a dealership? Just in case their sales picks up and they call me. Do they supply everything? Or just building water and utilities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Sounds like it`s going well. Interesting that you are seeing so many trade-ins and auction buys (assumption on both parts). I`ve been talking with the wholesaler that I buy through and he is seeing a real slow down in the number of dealer trades.

Have you been able to source any good help? To detail 3-5 vehicles a day every day (even 1-stepping) means that you are moving your donkey. And to work it 14 hours daily, the hard working description is apt. If you weren`t before, you are going to be in some kind of shape, or broke down somewhere.

JMO, but they ought to be bringing you the donuts. A clean shiney car helps make their job easier.

Keep up the good work.
    Happy with the work.... yea. It`s not detailing by any standards, but it`s a paycheck. A pretty nice one too. The dealership I am doing the work for is part of the new car lot. I am pushing 85-125 per car, depending on size and condition. That includes engine, interior and exterior. The majority of the cars just need a vac, interior wipedown (some scrubbing) glass, pressure wash engine (dressing on some, some are new cars) and just a wash on the outside. If there are scuffs or scratches on some panels, I will 1-step that panel only, then spray wax. Most cars have 20k miles or less on the clock. I did a few 2009`s with 5k or less on the odometer. Fairly easy to clean up.
    Some trades need more work, so I have to break out the carpet extractor.

They supply the water and electric for me. No building for me to work in, though they say they are going to get a 20x40 tent set up out side for me. I won`t old my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    If you weren`t before, you are going to be in some kind of shape, or broke down somewhere.
    I`m losing weight, yea. My shorts don`t stay up anymore.... I think my belt is stretching. LOL

Broken down.... My wrists hurt from the darn spray bottles. I am working on a "piece of equipment" that should eliminate wrist strain from trigger sprayers. It is already available, but expensive. I am making my own version and hope to sell it for a lot less. I am working on my prototype version now, just waiting on a few more parts to arrive. That`s all I am going to say until it`s finished and I am a vendor on the site.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

15 Hour Work Days, I remember that....

Its only a matter of time till you out. You gotta get some

Go to a local College, and ask where there Bulliten Board is.Another thing about hiring College Students...There less likely to try and Steal your Business, as they already have another Career in mind

Post Thanks / Like

Little update on this thread, as I have not been on any detailing sites in a while. I`m still pumping out cars like a mad man, did 11 today. Not bad for one day. I did hire guys today. Younger, they are brothers. One is 19 and the other is 16. My woman works with their Father at the school district. As far as I know, he is a single Father and getting by with what he has. I called my lady at work and asked if she knew anyone that needed a job, and the rest is history. One works hard and the other, well, I`ll keep him on a few more days to see how it goes.

I quit taking new appointments all together for now. I designate 2 days a month to service some regular clients, but other than that, I do not have the time. If I had to guess, I turned down aver $1000 in jobs last month. I really hate leaving money on the table like that, so I am reviewing my business to see where I can expand.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Post Thanks / Like

Very well indeed.

On another note.....
    It`s a shame that some people are now calling me a glorified car washer now instead of a detailer. Well I`ll tell them that I made enough yesterday and today to take the rest of the month off if I wanted to. So, call me what you want, you don`t pay my bills.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you ol` "towel pusher" you.

Congratulations on the financial end of the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck TB, maybe a relative or family member could help you out on your busy days.

Your going to look like Rambo in First Blood!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the deal. You have to do what is right.

Post Thanks / Like

We do mostly wholesale work and make good money off them..

Heres a invoice rundown:

1998 Ford F-150 2wd Color White Miles 65,755
    Complete Clean (Minus Buff or Wax) 125.00
    Check List (list things that need fixing) 10.00 ( easy money)
    Replace wiper blades 16.00
    Remove Vent Visors/Tape 20.00 Repair Cig Burn 20.00
    New Floor mats ( walmart special) 20.00

Total 216.00 takes about 3 hrs to clean the rig up and maybe another 1.5 hr to do the rest.

2000 Dodge 1500 Miles 98,229
    Complete Clean minus buff 125.00
    Check List 10.00
    Replace Brake Bulb 10.00
    1/2 coolant 6.00 (50/50)
    Remove Dealer sticker and put new one on. 5.00
    Total 156.00 took about 3.5 Hrs

1998 Ford Expedition Miles 156,675
    Check List 10.00
    Complete Clean (no buff or wax) 145.00
    Undercoat wheel well 1.5 cans ( 15.00)
    Paint wipers, Hitch , Hooks( flat black) 15.00
    Repair cig burn 20.00
    Replace 3rd wiper blade 7.00
    total 212.00 about 4.5 hrs.

We buy wiper blades for around 2.00 each

we do over 120 units/month I pick and choose who we do for since some want to pay next to nothin for a complete w/ buff
    Kevin Smith

Straightlinedetailing.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information