Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobil Detailing Business Tips

WOW, great information! Surprised this is not at the top. We are starting up a mobile unit (trailer) and I have found all this information in the thread very very useful! Lets keep the ideas coming! My business partner and I do auto detailing on a part time basis. About 95% of our clients come from word of mouth. Another avenue we are looking into is the local International Airport that is about 8 miles from my house. Recently we have been meeting the clients at the terminal and picking their vehicles up curbside. We take it back to my house, and depending on how long their trip is we detail accordingly. After the detail we meet the client at the baggage pick up, they get in a freshly detailed car for the drive home and we get paid, not only that we have yet to NOT get a tip (most being a $100 on top of the service). What are the benefits of this.

Pros:

1. No hassle for the client to pay any type of parking fees (covered parking at $8.00 a day can add up). We feel this is where the tip money comes in.

2. Curbside service (who doesn`t like that )

3. No down time for the client, or inconvience of having to schedule at work/home.

4. Most people who travel by air have good incomes. If you don`t believe me drive through your local airport and look at the money parked there.

Cons: (so far)

1. You need 2 people to make this happen. So that does put some downtime on getting details already at my house completed. (30 minutes is still 30 lost minutes). I usually employ my cousin to drive and drop me and pay her for her trouble.

Possible additions:

We are currently working on getting some coupons to hand to the customer as they leave for the food court inside the airport. With higher security and not being able to bring in outside food or drink, a $5 coupon for each of them to use is a nice touch, plus it is something that your client would remember and talk about to friends, coworkers, etc.

Our best advice is to use your imagination and put yourself in your customers shoes. What would you want from an auto detailer? How/why are you different?

Walter
    Jason

Wet Werks Auto Salon

Post Thanks / Like

How do all of you guys usually get payed, cash/money order/personal check, etc?

One minor problem I thought of is people giving you a check they know won`t go through and by the time you find out they are long gone...

Post Thanks / Like

everybody had some real helpful statements! Anybody willing to help me with my start-up plans i will be more then greatful!!

Post Thanks / Like

vacuity!

do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suprchargd View Post
    How do all of you guys usually get payed, cash/money order/personal check, etc?

One minor problem I thought of is people giving you a check they know won`t go through and by the time you find out they are long gone...
    I take cash, check, and Credit Cards. I have never had someone give me a bad check. However if it does ever happen I keep a copy of their invoice to shoe that I did do work for them.
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

These are awesome business ideas. I just started detailing cars about 4 months ago once I realized that the suburbs of Dallas are the perfect place to do it.I just got out of high school and I`m in college so this seems like a great money making opportunity for me. I realized pretty quick that this isn`t the best time of the year to start washing cars though. Since I don`t have much experience I`m a little intimidated when it comes to trying to pick up higher end cars. So far i`m only doing:
    -washing w/ two bucket method and drying w/absorber and blue MF towel
    - one coat of meguiars wax, hand applied
    -wheel and tire cleaning and dressing
    -interior vacumming and protectant
    - upholstery cleaning and protectant
    -cleaning door jambs, wheel wells, and windows
    for about $70 on average. I`ve had customers pay me $100 and up for the service though. I guess my question is what other services should I be including to make sure that i`m giving the customer a Full on detail.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a airport parking place here that offers detailing, car service, etc while your car is parked.

Al
    The Need to Bead

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
    These are awesome business ideas. I just started detailing cars about 4 months ago once I realized that the suburbs of Dallas are the perfect place to do it.I just got out of high school and I`m in college so this seems like a great money making opportunity for me. I realized pretty quick that this isn`t the best time of the year to start washing cars though. Since I don`t have much experience I`m a little intimidated when it comes to trying to pick up higher end cars. So far i`m only doing:
    -washing w/ two bucket method and drying w/absorber and blue MF towel
    - one coat of meguiars wax, hand applied
    -wheel and tire cleaning and dressing
    -interior vacumming and protectant
    - upholstery cleaning and protectant
    -cleaning door jambs, wheel wells, and windows
    for about $70 on average. I`ve had customers pay me $100 and up for the service though. I guess my question is what other services should I be including to make sure that i`m giving the customer a Full on detail.
    Machine paint polishing is a big one that comes to mind. Clay treatment. Window treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

The is a lot of good reading here. I am on the verge of detailing on the side to help pay bills or just doing it for fun for family and friends

Post Thanks / Like

for such an informative thread, it`s kinda crazy it only gets replies every year and 1/2 or so. Weird.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information