Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seeking the perfect shine C_Rock77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    MirrorFinish....

Great story! I should try that, sometime.

We need to see if we can "Sticky" this thread to the top of the forum. There`s a lot of good info in here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SpoiledMan
    100% word of mouth. I have not solicited one single customer. I only detail part time and I turn more than half of the people away.
    Chris,

It may be time to raise your prices. That is always a good thing to do when you get to the point where you have got more work than you can handle.

Think about it, since you `turn more than half of the people away`, just imagine if you had your prices (for new customers) set at a much higher rate, then you could easily take on a few of those people you turn away and at the same time get a premium price too.

That is how I`ve got my prices set. After all, $225 for an average size car is rather expensive. It is basically just a price that I use to see if anyone will go for. Sure, some of my regualr customers that have been getting me to detail their vehicle pay a somewhat lower price, however with my higher list price I am sure that any new customer is going to come in at that higher premium price.

In summary, not everyone has a situation where they have got more work than they can handle, so this type of pricing is not for everyone. Although, when you do good work, sometimes it is interesting to see how much a particular customer is willing to pay for your service. Especially when that customer is a doctor, lawyer or other professional person who can certainly afford the high price. Hey, those people are making a lot of money and most of the time they are willing to spend a lot too.

I hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa I created a monster

Glorified cleaning lady M23Accord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    mirrorfinishman, it seems that you and I have the same mentality when it comes to potential clients and detailing in general. This could be because we live in a state where the demographics are in our favor (NJ). No shortage of wealth in this state, thats for sure.

On that note, I will say that detailing (and this is a generalization) is only worth the time and effort when your clients can pay $200+ and not even stress it. To me, those who quibble about the price smells like trouble and they can find someone else to deal with their frugality.

Also, people assume a certain level of service based on the price. When a detailer offers a full detail for $100 versus $300, a potential client (especially a wealthy one) may be turned off by your effort to offer affordable services. How good can it be for only $100? Basically, know your client and dont charge him/her $175 when they are willing to pay $225. Im not in the business of charity, I detail cars. Of course, quality of work should match the prices as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by M23Accord
    mirrorfinishman, it seems that you and I have the same mentality when it comes to potential clients and detailing in general.

To me, those who quibble about the price smells like trouble and they can find someone else to deal with their frugality.
    Just the other day one of my good customers told me his neighbor was asking about my detailing service. The neighbor thought it was really cool and very convienent that I actually come out to the house and do all of the work right there in the driveway.

So I stopped by and talked to the neighbor. It was interesting, the very first question he asked was about the price. To me, that was a bummer, because it really told me he wasn`t the kind of person who was worth having as a new customer. As a result of his focus on the price I simply gave him an inflated price just to scare him off. It takes guts to do that, but you cannot work for free. There are plenty of other people who are willing to focus on the quality of the service. Not the price.

M23Accord, where are you located in NJ? I`m in Williamstown, in South Jersey about half-way between Phila PA and Atlantic City NJ. Sometimes I hear from people in other parts of NJ that are interested in getting their vehicle detailed, so maybe I could send you the referral if they`re in your area. Let me know....

Post Thanks / Like
    Im Not a pro and don`t detail many other cars but my family/ friends cars. However as a customer I do know what I look for in any service regardless of what it be. (Mechanic, Computer Technician,car detail ect.) here are a few things that may help.

Someone said it earlier but I will repeat it.

Dress Professional!! Wearing a pair of dockers and a Polo shirt is great. Also its a decent idea to get a few of those polo`s embriorded with your company name/logo. Pick up a comfortable pair of shoes like rockport they look good and 9x out of 10 are more comfortable than a regular pair of sneakers.
    (And if its hot out don`t feel like you want to wear pants ... put on some kacki shorts it gives the same effect.)

Phone Calls!! Always answer your phone professionally! "Thank you for calling (insert business name) how may I help you." you can even insert your little detailing slogan. "where we care more about your car than you do" (J/K about that one but its probably true)

A local car wash in my area has a few package ideas that I thought I would mention.

1. After detailing a customers car you may want to offer them something like 1 year wash service. I don`t know how much you guys get to wash/vacume a car but take that price multiply it by 1 time a week for the year. Maybe discount it by 10 or 15% and get paid up front. The nice thing this does is puts a few hundred bucks in you pocket

Plus this lets you monitor the car more and you can control some of the dirt.

Also recomend that additionally to keep there car looking its best you recomend they do a full detail or a wash and wax every month or whaterver (im throwing out dates please don`t quote me on time frames) Again ... you can discount these customers being that they are really a CLIENT rather than a one time customer ...

For customers that don`t want to lock in for the "once a week wash" Offer something like every 10th was is free. One of the local car wash places around here even offers a rain day for its "VIP" customers. If you get your car washed today and it rains over night bring it back and they wash it free. I know this is a difficult thing to do for you guys with appointments ... but i thought I would mention it.

Key Chains: For you first time customers Get some nice looking kea chains nothing rinky dink or stupid looking ... When the customer gives you their keys you can give them their keys back with Your key chain on it ... (Your business name/ logo and phone contact info)

For full detail customers: Mainly for you guys that have a shop...

Take your digital camera. Take 1 or 2 Before pics and 1 or 2 After pics. When you are done with the detail print the pics out .. and include them with there bill ... they won`t notice how much they are paying as much because they will be in awe of your work ...

And last but not least.

Make up a page in Word or whatever with you logo up top ect ...
    Include
    Exterior Car care tips.
    Interior car care tips.

Perhaps at the end of the tip you might want to say "Insert company name" uses nothing but top of the line products with the cutting edege in technology blah blah blah ...

I hope some of this helps ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I am just starting to get business and I got it all from 100% WOM. I just joined a car club so I get many people wanting to get their cars done. We meet up at this place Pavillions where alot of imports, hotrods and choppers meet up, my car attracts lots of attention and I always walk away with a customer. Basically I just try to keep my car clean and people come at me with questions.

Also I just got a customer who buys and sells cars, he gets me 2 cars a week to do and I cut him a deal for $250 for two cars for just a one step cleaner wax, interior and engine detail. It`s good steady money. I`m thinking about calling up people selling cars in the classifieds and promoting the idea of increasing the retail value of their car after a good detail.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
    ...After all, $225 for an average size car is rather expensive...
    What exactly do you do for 225?
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring - Super Black - 6MT
    "Most legit people I know, they`d go a hundred miles out of their way not to make eye contact with me" - Tony Soprano

Post Thanks / Like
    Complete Detailing Package includes:

1- Wash Vehicle
    2- Clean Tires & Wheels
    3- Polish & Wax By Hand
    4- Clean & Polish Chrome
    5- Remove Road Tar
    6- Apply Exterior Protectants
    7- Clean & Protect Upholstery
    8- Vacuum Carpets and Trunk
    9- Apply Interior Protectants
    10- Clean Windows

Post Thanks / Like
    Find A Need And Fill It.

It has been my experience that most people who have a need to get their cars detailed, usually do so on a regular basis, similar to having scheduled oil changes. They realize that it’s just as important to take care of maintaining and protecting the appearance of their car, as it is to take care of the mechanical parts.

It`s much better, from a business standpoint, to focus on satisfying customers who have a need to get their cars detailed on a regular basis, not just every few years. The person who gets their car detailed regularly knows that if they maintain the appearance of their car now, it`ll be worth much more at trade-in time. This is also true when a lease vehicle is turned-in.

Keep in mind that most good customers, who are truely interested in maintaining and protecting the appearance of their vehicles, are almost always willing to pay a high price. Yes, most good customers are clearly willing to pay much more than you think. After all, they realize that in the long run you are actually saving them money.

Just another tip...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
    Chris,

It may be time to raise your prices. That is always a good thing to do when you get to the point where you have got more work than you can handle.

Think about it, since you `turn more than half of the people away`, just imagine if you had your prices (for new customers) set at a much higher rate, then you could easily take on a few of those people you turn away and at the same time get a premium price too.

That is how I`ve got my prices set. After all, $225 for an average size car is rather expensive. It is basically just a price that I use to see if anyone will go for. Sure, some of my regualr customers that have been getting me to detail their vehicle pay a somewhat lower price, however with my higher list price I am sure that any new customer is going to come in at that higher premium price.

In summary, not everyone has a situation where they have got more work than they can handle, so this type of pricing is not for everyone. Although, when you do good work, sometimes it is interesting to see how much a particular customer is willing to pay for your service. Especially when that customer is a doctor, lawyer or other professional person who can certainly afford the high price. Hey, those people are making a lot of money and most of the time they are willing to spend a lot too.

I hope this helps...
    WOW, I just read this!!

It`s not that I have more than I can do, it`s more that I pick who I would like to work for and the cars that I would like to do. Also, some of the turn-aways are customers that can`t deal with the price. I`m getting $30 to wash/vacuum a midsize car if it`s brought to me and I`m not a pro. My details are averaging about $170 for compact, $200 for midsize and $250+ for the big utes.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Mobil Detailing Business Tips

How much does the part of the country you live in affect your prices. I have seen So-Cal prices around $300+ for a ultimate detail (clay-polish-wax) and in My Tucson, AZ I charge $160 for sedan, $180 for small SUV or large seadn and $200+ for Burban or Hummer for an ultimate detail. I say that these are general prices in the area. But, in Phoenix I have seen as high as So-cal. Some thoughts, I know that Tucson, AZ is a different Demographic that So-Cal, NJ, NY but work is work.

Andrew

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobil Detailing Business Tips

Your prices are way to low....thats less than an exterior only in my opinion. Raise the prices and be confident...I know it`s been said many times before. I see you live in Chicago, and also by the pic of the house, it is time to raise the prices to at least $125 for a midsize sedan. More based on condition/type of vehicle. I live in a small town in Northeastern Wisconsin and I have enough customers to keep me busy at $125-$135 for a sedan.

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s what I`ve been doing-
    When in a parking lot and you see someone by their car which you know you could make look really sweet, go up to them and say "I just detailed a car just like yours. It came out awesome." Or something to that effect. More than likely they`ll be interested in seeing what you can do for them. This occured to me recently when a car pulled up next to mine in a lot(I`ve got signage on my van) that looked just like the car I did the day before. I took notice because it was pretty dirty for just one day. Or so I thought. Anyway, ended up passing a card and got the job the following week. It works pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

I drive a wrecker at night to try to offset alimony :doubleduc expenses (yeah I know, let the cheaper to keep her jokes fly) My point here is I pretty much just tow for AAA and sell my services to the people I tow. I always keep an itemized price sheet and business cards with me. I have even have gone as far as sticking 5 or so cards in the cracks of the dash board on the passenger side. It really works for me. Many times the person broken down wants to just get home. Home is say 70 miles away. That sure does give me time to fully explain my services and get very detailed (no pun intended ) as to what I could do for their car and if its an older car I touch on resale possibilities of a freshly detailed car. Im not saying go out and drive a wrecker. Trust me guys Im crawling in the door after detailing all day and driving 2-250 miles at night. But it pays the bills and gets me more and more work. Oh just to add a little more, I always make sure the interior of the wrecker is in tip top condition. I use it as a selling tool and refer to the clenliness of the vents, dash and carpets when talking about a full detail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information