I need a new job
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I Get a Salesman....Anybody?!?

I know I`m probably not alone in this so I thought I`d throw it out there. I`ve long desired to do detailing on the side.....well because I just like doing it, and the thought of getting paid for doing something I like has a nice ring to it. I`ve done a few details here and there for friends, family, and co workers and know that there is more business where that came from but there is one major problem.....I`m a terrible salesman. I have had a few folks come up to me and say hey come look at my car, how much would you charge. I just don`t handle being put on the spot too well and always feel like the price I give will result in the "Are you crazy" look, because most people don`t appreciate how labor intensive "Detailing" actually is. I was driving down the road and saw a sign "Detailing starting at $25," which started a heated rant in the car to my girlfriend....nevermind that`s another topic for another day. Anyway, this is the main reason I think I have such a hard time giving what I feel is a fair price. I don`t want anyone to think I`m cheating them, so I`d rather not do it so I don`t have to deal with it. So.......does anyone have this problem?!? If so, how have you addressed it? I`m sure having the natural ability to sell yourself and your service is a great feeling, but what about us that weren`t born with that gift?
    2003 Mazda 6i Steel Gray Metallic

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I Get a Salesman....Anybody?!?

you have to charge what you feel your time and talent are worth ..also taking into account your demographics and competitors to some degree.
    If you can`t make what you want then it`s just not worth doing it at all
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

This article might have some tips that will help. Really it just comes down to knowing what you are talking about and being able to tie it to a need your customers have. I have a lot of success this time of year talking about what happens to their cars in the summer and winter and how now is a good time to restore and protect.

I`ve done a bit of research around my area and $40/hr is a fair price for the speed that I go. The way I came to that number is by the average price for the service. To get a full detail on a sedan done around here could run you $160 at any detail shop that is more than just a car wash. A full detail on a sedan will take me between 3 and 4 hours, so that means I`m making about $40/hr. So if I am looking at a job and I know how long it takes me to wash, clay, polish, wax, and do the interior and all the final detail, then it is easy to quote a price that I know is competitive. The trick is accuracy. It sucks to assume the job will take you four hours and then seven hours later you are driving away from the job.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing the dirt cheap ads for detailing used to bug me and I would think to myself, "Those guys are ruining the market!". Now it doesn`t bother me at all.

I like analogies so here is one I use to explain to people who want to know why my prices are what they are.

The restaurant industry is the best comparison I can make to help people see my value. Tunnel car washes are like fast food restaurants. Your car will get clean just like a ff restaurant will fill your stomach. The consequences of a tunnel car wash are poor quality, harsh ingredients/chemicals causing damage either right away or over time. The consequences of a fast food joint are pretty much the same. Anytime detailers price themselves cheap they are trying to be a "fast food restaurant".

Do they have their place? Yes. Are they the best for the health of you car? Certainly not.

I don`t try to be a ff restaurant anymore. To most of my customers I try to be an Outback or Chilis. Good food with friendly service at a reasonable price. That`s my target customer although I can be a five star restaurant for those who want the best work possible but that`s not my bread and butter.

Post Thanks / Like

The restaurant industry is the best comparison I can make to help people see my value. Tunnel car washes are like fast food restaurants. Your car will get clean just like a ff restaurant will fill your stomach. The consequences of a tunnel car wash are poor quality, harsh ingredients/chemicals causing damage either right away or over time. The consequences of a fast food joint are pretty much the same. Anytime detailers price themselves cheap they are trying to be a "fast food restaurant"
    I like that analogy Troy.
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    you have to charge what you feel your time and talent are worth ..also taking into account your demographics and competitors to some degree.
    This is 100% true. If you let others define your worth then that`s all you`ll ever be worth. Look at Detail Magic in the UK. Is he really that good, or does he just believe he is?

Thread Information