Post Thanks / Like

need some advice

Ok well I started my business this weekend and was wondering if i skipped anything. I was doing an 99 f250 and noticed that it was kinda hard to get into the back of the wheel because of the 5 hole basic wheel design (i used the schmitt and ezdetail brush). Do you guys wash the backs of every wheel you do? Also if it just a basic wash/wax/interior combo do you touch the engine bay?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by 96TexasZ View Post
    Ok well I started my business this weekend and was wondering if i skipped anything. I was doing an 99 f250 and noticed that it was kinda hard to get into the back of the wheel because of the 5 hole basic wheel design (i used the schmitt and ezdetail brush). Do you guys wash the backs of every wheel you do? Also if it just a basic wash/wax/interior combo do you touch the engine bay?
    On a basic wash I do not touch the engine at all..also in cleaning the back of the tires on a basic wash is not something that you should be worried about...on a full detail yes...

Thing to remember is basic wash / wax is really a cosmetic cleaning....I do them but only on cars that I have done full details recently...then there is not a lot of work required.

Sounds to me that you are trying to delivery more than a wash / wax....if they went to a machine car wash the tires would only be cleaned on the outside right?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s all about meeting the customers expectations. Unless you want to be known for being the most thorough wheel cleaner in the business no matter what service the customer is paying for.

I get a feel for the customer`s expectations and most of the time I can tell if they want you to thoroughly clean the back part of the wheel or if they are just looking to get the visible areas clean.

As far as the engine goes. I will clean out the jambs of the engine bay but I only clean/detail the engine as an add on service.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t even clean the insides of my own wheels each time I wash. I rotate my tires at 3,000 mile intervals and clean the insides of the rims at that time. The only way to do it effectively is to either have the vehicle in the air or remove the wheel. That just isn`t practical for a basic wash. Not to mention if you are removing the wheels you are adding an element of liability that shouldn`t be expected with a regular wash. If I had made up my mind this was the way to go I would carry a mini 4 wheel jack, an electric impact (removal only), a wheel torque spec book and a torque wrench.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thread Information