Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to come up with a business name?

Hacks R Us
    Details Schmeetails
    Buffin` in the Buff

Maybe those aren`t the best names...
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting thing that has happened to me and my detail biz name....I networked this biz 8 years ago out of a local pub...and from that its grown...people today will walk up to me and ask...your Dave with Dave`s Detailing...yes I am...I`ve seen your work, or heard you can do this or that.

Makes me feel great when someone can recognize me for that...It became clear to me that I could have named it almost anything...it was the quality of work that made my business grow..not that fanciness of the name.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Its interesting that I have a very good part time biz and have not ever been asked about a web site or been emailed about a detail job...mine is based off of good work, service and referral...Its not that these two things would not be helpful..but IMO a web site can look anyway you want..meaning that you can have a great web site that really attracts people, the whole time you are turning out bad work...for me branding in this biz has been based off my service and work...that`s taken a few years for people to start calling back and giving my name out to others with confidence..in the beginning for a weekend guy its about getting out there and showing people what you have...taking some price cuts to get your foot in...building a good reputation!
    I`m not saying that it is the only way to go. I`m just saying that having some pictures to show people certianly does help sell yourself. My site isn`t pimping my services. It is a `how to` site. I built another site that has my price sheet on it to give people an idea of what to expect as far as that goes and that is what I put on my cards.

I will say that in the advertising I have done through places like Craigslist, having a website has been a great tool to get the call instead of any competition. 90% of my business is through word of mouth, but it is that 10% extra that I can attract through getting the word out online that gives me that word of mouth. My referals are based on my work as well, but in some markets you need a something else to just get them in the door. I`ve got a great client that accounts for several thousand dollars in referals every year that found me through a craigslist ad and spent some time on my site making sure I wsa the right guy for the job. When you are looking for somone who is as dedicated to what they do as you are to what you do, it helps to have more than a few lines of text on a business card.

So I guess what I`m trying to say is that referal business is great, but websites are for getting the business that doesn`t know any of your current customers. It isn`t the only way, but it is the way that takes me the littlest effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information