a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How well did you do your first year?

This is for the pro detailers that have made it through more than a year of owning their own business.

How well did you do your first year?

Was it better or worse than expected?

Did you acquire a business or start your own?

Here`s my answers;

I acquired a business and it came with an Apple Polishing franchise. For those of you who don`t know this was a franchised company who`s claim was to have special acrylic sealants that would be warrantied for a year or up to 5 years.

I actually liked the product and thought it was special because you had to buff it on and off before it dried or it wouldn`t come off. I also thought it was special because you had to keep your bonnets wet afterward or it would turn them hard and ruin them.

The company went under for I believe some sort of shady practices so my detailing business evolved into using the best one-step waxes I could find for the next couple of years.

I was young and naive enough to think that I was gonna make big money my first year (1991) so it wasn`t near what I had hoped for.

I think I made less than 20k my first year. I worked as a valet at night to drum up business and supplement income. Pretty good combination actually. I landed some good accounts from having that job.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How well did you do your first year?

Doesn`t anyone else want to share how their first year was?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    I think I made less than 20k my first year.
    From the picture you posted in your gallery, I would wonder how many repeat customers you had.
    Dress for success was evidently not your motto.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody must have photoshopped that. I know it was a porsche I was working on and I had a better tan.

Post Thanks / Like

At least your using a wash mit.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

You also might want to wear a hat...the sun is bad on those bald spots
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

It is/was all in good fun, but that is NOT really Troy in the picture.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you spent about 5 minutes washing that car...
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well i dont know if i can post in this thread BUT, I started with only a few ads on kijiji canadian classifieds at the start of summer for car detailing services and so far I have done 6 cars all for $60-$65, meanwhile I am not offering engine details for obvious liability reasons and buffing or waxing etc, basically a solid wash with a whole interior detail for $65.00, been without a customer for about 3 weekends now as thats all the time i have to do so. I guess it is time for business cards and I am now increasing my price to $70.00 as I have bought new and better quality products . Hoping to get at least 2 cars a weekend till the end of summer would be awesome or at least 3 cars every 2 weekends is my goal, hope the business card things work out for me !

Post Thanks / Like

My first year of actual advertising and hitting the job hard was two years ago. I worked at least 20 hours a week beyond the 55 hours a week that my day job required of me. So it was really just a part time gig, but it was as professional as I could get without having an actual brick building. After the taxes, insurance, overhead, and everything else involved in running the business I ended up bringing home $23K in income for the year. Not a bad part time job that operates from March through October. March, April, and October are reserved for existing "regulars" and the rest of the season is for new business/referals. I could probably make more money if I opened my calendar to new business in those months, but my regulars appreciate being first in line for winter and spring cleanups and their loyalty is worth more than gold to me. They are the ones who keep me in business for the rest of the year.

It should also be said that this was before gas was over $4 per gallon and it was also the only year I hit it that hard. I was so burned out after that year... The next year I only did jobs for my regulars and didn`t pick up more than two or three new customers. This year has solely been based on repeat business as well. This is a job that is very physically abusive and I have nothing but respect for those who can do it full time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post

It is/was all in good fun, but that is NOT really Troy in the picture.
    I didn`t think about people actually thinking that was me. Thanks for clearing that up Charles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RyansAutoDetail View Post
    well i dont know if i can post in this thread BUT, I started with only a few ads on kijiji canadian classifieds at the start of summer for car detailing services and so far I have done 6 cars all for $60-$65, meanwhile I am not offering engine details for obvious liability reasons and buffing or waxing etc, basically a solid wash with a whole interior detail for $65.00, been without a customer for about 3 weekends now as thats all the time i have to do so. I guess it is time for business cards and I am now increasing my price to $70.00 as I have bought new and better quality products . Hoping to get at least 2 cars a weekend till the end of summer would be awesome or at least 3 cars every 2 weekends is my goal, hope the business card things work out for me !
    How long are you spending on these cars?

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    How long are you spending on these cars?
    between 3 and 4 hours for a whole interior with a basic wash, windows, spray wax, tire/wheel clean and dressed, enough to pay me approx $15.00 an hour for my time which includes material usage.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Troy, i do remember Apple Polishing franchise`s. It was in 84 when a friend of mine was doing it in the Tampa area and i use to help him out when he had too many cars to do. I do remember he was charging folks 200.00 for a Apple Polish job. And that was no correction work at all and people when eating it up like crazy.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RyansAutoDetail View Post
    between 3 and 4 hours for a whole interior with a basic wash, windows, spray wax, tire/wheel clean and dressed, enough to pay me approx $15.00 an hour for my time which includes material usage.

I can sit in an air conditioned call center with health benefits and paid sick/vacation time for more than $15/hr. Detailing is a very physical job that not everybody is going to be good at. I think you are underestimating the price that people value a good detail for. This is a service that you can charge $40-$60 an hour for without difficulty. $15/hr is what I would charge if I were just pulling into a car lot with a power washer and a drying towel. If you are detailing the car then you should really charge what the service is worth.

Look at what the detail shops in your area are charging and undercut them a bit. I`m not talking about the glorified touchless car washes either. Find a shop that does machine polishing and finish restoration on vehicles. They are your competition.

Thread Information