Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Attn Mobile guys

Im planning on mobile for spring of 2008, Im kinda stuck on what truck to get. Price is obviously taking a big part, im looking to spend around 20k CAD. Looking for used but i might go for a brand new truck.

What trucks do you guys use? I was looking at a Ranger with the 4.0l. Dodge dakota with 4.7 and id love to have a Hemi Ram quad cab but i dont think thats in my budget. Havent really looked at chevy trucks, im not much of a chevy fan but may consider

Give me your pros and cons on the trucks, reliability, how does it tow alot of weight? I plan on getting a enclosed trailer.

Thanks

Matthew

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attn Mobile guys

I haven`t been a huge fan of Chrysler, even though I`m on my second minivan, but with their new Lifetime Power train Warranty I`m not sure you can beat it.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matthew i pull my detail trailer with a mazda truck with the ford 4.0 liter engine, and it does the job just fine for me. The only problem that i have with it is i wish i had more room in the cabin. But it pulls good for a small truck.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Strictly detailing?

How much water do you plan to carry?

If you`re not carrying much more than 100 gallons of water then a Ranger would work. I`m on my third F150 and I have been very happy with them. I also had a 6cyl. Sonoma that was pretty powerful for a small truck.

After having a full size truck, I am spoiled. Small trucks seem very cramped after owning a full size.

Not using a trailer is a plus to me. I have everything very well laid out in the back with a topper. Suits my needs great because I tend to make multiple stops per day.

A trailer is best if you plan to go to one spot and set-up for the day. It can be a pain when you take it from house to house.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You`ll want to get a fullsize truck with a decent v-8. Even if you may not need that extra bit of power now, down the road when you decide to upgrade trailers,tanks,etc, you`ll have a truck that can tow it.

I started of with a 92 s10 with a 2.8 v6 and it was a dog. I towed a 5x8 open trailer with a 125 gallon tank, big generator,pressure washer, and boxes of other stuff. Gas milage was terrible, getting up to speed took forever as did stopping, and so on and so on.

If you`re serious about this business invest your money wisely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    You`ll want to get a fullsize truck with a decent v-8. Even if you may not need that extra bit of power now, down the road when you decide to upgrade trailers,tanks,etc, you`ll have a truck that can tow it.

I started of with a 92 s10 with a 2.8 v6 and it was a dog. I towed a 5x8 open trailer with a 125 gallon tank, big generator,pressure washer, and boxes of other stuff. Gas milage was terrible, getting up to speed took forever as did stopping, and so on and so on.

If you`re serious about this business invest your money wisely.
    I like your setup looks very professional
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I am curently in the process of building a trailer (150 Gal Tank)...will post pics later..I have a V8 Tundra that will do the job just fine...
    Gravity is a contributing factor in nearly 73 percent of all accidents involving falling objects. -Dave Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayoto View Post
    I am curently in the process of building a trailer (150 Gal Tank)...will post pics later..I have a V8 Tundra that will do the job just fine...
    that`s a big truck, how do you do with gas mileage?

Post Thanks / Like

Its actually not that bad..without a trailer of course. I just keep the pedal AWAY from the metal..I`m averaging 18-19. You think thats a big truck, I test drove the new 4 door 5.7 this weekend.....WOW!!!!! What a truck!! My wife said no...end of that.
    Gravity is a contributing factor in nearly 73 percent of all accidents involving falling objects. -Dave Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody here seems to be real professional and it really makes a good impression when you see a pro. driving by in a nice looking truck. But yesterday, I saw a guy on the freeway with his Chevy Suburban, dirtier than all get out (heavy layer of dust), he had one of those "winding" cracks in his front windshield, you know, the kind that likes to travel as you drive, about 2 feet long, a few choice dents in his vehicle and of course his company name Mr. **** detail, and phone number on his truck. When I passed him he was driving kind of slow because he was talking on his cell phone on the freeway! NOT a very good first impression. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayoto View Post
    Its actually not that bad..without a trailer of course. I just keep the pedal AWAY from the metal..I`m averaging 18-19. You think thats a big truck, I test drove the new 4 door 5.7 this weekend.....WOW!!!!! What a truck!! My wife said no...end of that.
    . .

lol I looked at them too and the mileage sticker on the window was pretty low, so I kept on walking..they seem to be giving really good deals on the big Tundras too

Post Thanks / Like

I am pulling my open trailer with my 06 Tundra. Works great. (Also tow my wakeboarding boat with it. About 5,000 lbs with trailer). I have a 90g tank on the trailer, and a 210g tank in the back of the truck. (I do a large fleetwash job weekly, so I need that much water). Lots of weight, but it handles it just fine. Mainly have the Toyota for it`s reliability though. Would really like to have a diesel for towing the boat though. The Toy is perfect for the detail trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Grande View Post
    I am pulling my open trailer with my 06 Tundra. Works great. (Also tow my wakeboarding boat with it. About 5,000 lbs with trailer). I have a 90g tank on the trailer, and a 210g tank in the back of the truck. (I do a large fleetwash job weekly, so I need that much water). Lots of weight, but it handles it just fine. Mainly have the Toyota for it`s reliability though. Would really like to have a diesel for towing the boat though. The Toy is perfect for the detail trailer.

They are coming out with a diesel next year..so I hear....

Post Thanks / Like

jlift,

I know what you mean. There are a couple of guys around my town like that. I don`t see how they make a living at it, yet they somehow do. I by no means am saying that you have to have the latest, greatest, newest. But come on...at least wash what you got.

ok I`m done .

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew,
    I would get a full size truck if I were you.Mileage is crappy with the smaller trucks,compared to what you would think they should get.Full-size trucks are slightly better mileage wise, and roomier+ they haul more wieght alot easier.Get a diesel, stay away from gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information