Post Thanks / Like

Detailing Company Problems

This thread is going to be long so I will try to condense it as much as possible. I recently started working at a detailing company who pride themselves on luxury automobile detailing. I have been detailing cars for a little over seven years now and recently have been working out of my parents garage detailing cars in my spare time. I have not marketed myself at all and have alot of people interested in having me detail their vehicles. My father works for a major company which would be a easy way to get clients, my personal trainer has already given my contact info to some of his clients, and I have detailed a few cars throughout my neighborhood so I feel I already have a small clientele built up.

My issue is, this company I work for is paying me $9.00 per hour plus tips, which is not bad but not great either. The coolest thing is their clientele base. I spent last Friday at Michael Redd`s house, NBA player, detailing all five of his cars. Pretty much everyone so far whose car`s I have detailed are multi-millionaires which is pretty crazy. I have been working there for two weeks and have noticed the current employees cut as many corners as possible. If its a light color car, no buffer is used cause they believe the scratches cannot be seen. Our claybar looks like it has been used on more than 20 or so cars, which I normally only use 1 bar for no more than 3 cars typically. Things like this I have noticed. They sell packages and only do what the client has payed for, nothing else. Now I always would look at a car, and no matter how bad it was or how long it took, I would go over every surface of the car and make it look the best I could. I am having an issue with them telling me to cut corners, plus the products they use sometimes are not applied right.

The only positive thing thus far is the company is looking to grow and move to Naples Florida this winter. This could bring upon new opportunities for myself if I wish to pursue them. What do you guys believe I should do? Stay with the current company, or ride it out until the first of next year and then go into business myself? I also just wanted to see what everyone`s opinions are or if they have had similar issues. Sorry so long but I look forward to reading your comments. Thanks, Joshua

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Company Problems

Well, this thread has quite a bit of views but no answers, so I`ll take a stab at it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyV6 View Post
    My issue is, this company I work for is paying me $9.00 per hour plus tips, which is not bad but not great either.
    What does that average out to? If you aren`t making at least $20 an hour, I`d be looking elsewhere. You already stated that you have a small group of people you detail for. If the pay isn`t good now, it might be worth you time and effort to start marketing yourself a little better and try to even get some of your current customers to let you detail them personally. You might want to check out what your dads company has to offer as well.

The coolest thing is their clientele base. I spent last Friday at Michael Redd`s house, NBA player, detailing all five of his cars. Pretty much everyone so far whose car`s I have detailed are multi-millionaires which is pretty crazy.
    That would be a definite upside to working there, but you might be able to sway a few of them away from the company that you work for now and get them all yourself if you play your cards right.

I have been working there for two weeks and have noticed the current employees cut as many corners as possible. If its a light color car, no buffer is used cause they believe the scratches cannot be seen. Our claybar looks like it has been used on more than 20 or so cars, which I normally only use 1 bar for no more than 3 cars typically. Things like this I have noticed.
    If you really enjoy working there, I`d think that you might be walking on thin ice if you start to try to correct all of that at once, being that you`re brand new. If you want to try and fight to get things changed, I would prioritize which offences you think are the worst and which ones aren`t that important and start at the most critical ones first. It is really important that you come off in a helpful and friendly manner and not try to demand that they change or that you know more than they do. Even if you don`t bring it up, you need to do the right thing and detail the vehicles correctly using products and tools that are in good condition. Someone will notice and I`m sure they`ll start asking for you by name. That alone should get your boss` attention.

They sell packages and only do what the client has payed for, nothing else. Now I always would look at a car, and no matter how bad it was or how long it took, I would go over every surface of the car and make it look the best I could.
    This is where a business owner has to know where to draw the line. If you guys are doing a whole lot of extra things to a vehicle, you`re going to be spending a lot more time on that particular vehicle. You won`t be compensated for any of that extra work and when you add up all of that time, the business is going to be looking at a lot of lost revenue. The way to correct the problem, in my opinion, is to properly estimate what you`re going to have to do to the vehicle. You might even have to talk to the owner of the vehicle while you`re detailing to see if he`ll pay for the extra step you didn`t anticipate. You could offer that step at a discount to try and smooth it over with the customer. That way, they`ll be getting a car that got all of the attention it needed and you`ll be getting compensated for the work you did. If all of that isn`t possible, you`re just going to have to do the best you can with what you quoted him with. You`re working for a business now and if you`re not making a profit for them, they have no reason to keep you around.

I am having an issue with them telling me to cut corners, plus the products they use sometimes are not applied right.
    If you`re not happy, go somewhere that you will be happy. Only you can decide what and where that will be.

The only positive thing thus far is the company is looking to grow and move to Naples Florida this winter. This could bring upon new opportunities for myself if I wish to pursue them. What do you guys believe I should do? Stay with the current company, or ride it out until the first of next year and then go into business myself? I also just wanted to see what everyone`s opinions are or if they have had similar issues. Sorry so long but I look forward to reading your comments. Thanks, Joshua
    If they are looking to open an additional business in Naples and you can try to start them in the right direction at that location, that could be a very good option. Like I said above, it all comes down to what you want. You`re going to have to take a long look at the positives and negatives of each situation and determine which will make you happy. I know that I`ve sacrificed pay for a better working environment in the past and it worked out well. I`ve also been on the other end of the spectrum as well. It didn`t work out that well, but I decided that it was worth the extra money at that time in my life. I hope this helped.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to make short and sweet, # 1 if you like their then stay tell you feel comfortable to move on.# 2 One thing I can`t stand is people cutting Conner`s and charging top dollar. That`s all Am going to say about that.

Post Thanks / Like

not much more to answer but i will second everything that audiboy said great advice and im sure that your attention to details will sway the customers you way when and if you start your own shop. 9 bucks and hour seems a little low too .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    not much more to answer but i will second everything that audiboy said great advice
    Thanks! I wasn`t planning on writing that much, but I just kept on thinking of new ideas or situations that could better his position.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the comments. I beleive I am going to sit down and look over the pros and cons dealing with both issues. But I think come first of next year I will be doing my own thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the comments. I beleive I am going to sit down and look over the pros and cons dealing with both issues. But I think come first of next year I will be doing my own thing.
    Thats great . If you love doing it i see no reason you shouldn`t (other than the money to start up ) are you going mobile or shop .

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay at where you are and develop your skills while having the benefit of getting a steady check...this will also allow you to get better at sourcing for your own clients..sounds like you have some pretty high end guys that you are currently working on...those are the guys that you want they have the $$ and will give you steady biz....you could even launch your biz as part time then as things really pickup you can go full time
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy View Post
    What does that average out to? If you aren`t making at least $20 an hour, I`d be looking elsewhere.
    Are you saying a detailer as an employee should be grossing $20/hr or the owner of a detailing business?

From what I have seen here and elsewhere, a detailing business can gross $50/hr one way or another.

Curious....

Post Thanks / Like

I was saying that, whatever his detailing status is, he should be making at least $20 an hour. If you own a larger business and have employees, the gross is going to be higher because more work will be able to get accomplished during the day. On that same note, you`ll also be forced to make that higher gross to be able to pay the employees for their work.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is an employee, I would suspect detailers can get all the labor they need under $15/hr unless they are experienced in using a PC or rotary.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude, I pay my guys $9.00/hour in our depressed economy after a 2 week training clinic. That`s not enough.
    On the other hand, if you are toying with the idea of a business, it is okay to do a little extra, but you need to do what the customer asks. Yes, good products, clean clay, nice packages. But polishing when not paid for is begging for problems.
    At home, I would do what you like, but get some insurance and remember to charge enough so that you have room to replace parts or repaint panels or whatever is needed by mistakes.
    At work, quietly talk to your boss about things like products, clay etc. Don`t bring anyone down, but ask if he/she could allow you to take the needed time on cars. I don`t know. Perhaps that is bad.
    Brenton Dickieson

Thread Information