Post Thanks / Like

Lots of questions for you pros....

Here is my deal. I have worked for a huge bakery for the last 10 years (I`m 30). It`s time for a change and I think opening my own detailing shop may be the way to go. The company is buying me out and I will have enough money for about 3 years of salery that I am making now, so I have enough room finically. (sp) Here is my major question. Stand alone shop or mobile? I have the bread truck from the business and it`s paid for. I have a 100 gal tank and most of the cleaning supplies to get started. Most of the guys just give a "lick and a promise" on the cars I see arond here. I cringe when they call it detailing. I like doing detailing and I `ve been doing ti on the side for years. I know I will get burned out with it to eventually, but I cant take it anymore, and I think I won`t have a trmendous amount of money in it. Mabye 6 grand tops. I`m a go getter and I know EVERYONE in town (sort of speak) . I`ve been here al my life. Do I go after dealership work and earn of volume? What good is to do 10 cars and earn the same off of 5? I`m not money strapped so all input is needed. Give me some feedback gents...Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lots of questions for you pros....

Quote Originally Posted by malibu9in View Post
    Here is my deal. I have worked for a huge bakery for the last 10 years (I`m 30). It`s time for a change and I think opening my own detailing shop may be the way to go. The company is buying me out and I will have enough money for about 3 years of salery that I am making
    now, so I have enough room finically. (sp) Here is my major question. Stand alone shop or mobile? I have the bread truck from the business and it`s paid for. I have a 100 gal tank and most of the cleaning supplies to get started. Most of the guys just give a "lick and a promise" on the cars I see arond here. I cringe when they call it detailing. I like doing detailing and I `ve been doing ti on the side for years. I know I will get burned out with it to eventually, but I cant take it anymore, and I think I won`t have a trmendous amount of money in it. Mabye 6 grand tops. I`m a go getter and I know EVERYONE in town (sort of speak) . I`ve been here al my life. Do I go after dealership work and earn of volume? What good is to do 10 cars and earn the same off of 5? I`m not money strapped so all input is needed. Give me some feedback gents...Jason
    Jason

I`m not a pro-detailer but I have worked in business for over 30 years and want to comment on that side of your question.

You have a few things that most who are in your position don`t, capital, salary to sustain yourself and a suitable type of transportation...The equipment start-up costs sounds like you have that, the 100 gallon tank helps...

You might want to look at the demographics of your area..income ratios will help you determine if there are enough high income people to support this...also how many detailers are there in the area already

I would suggest that you start as a mobile seeing how you have the truck...it allows you in the start to be able to go to the customer making that easier on them and more likely to use you, it also has a much lower over head cost...fixed locations are great but its location and overhead that will eat threw money while you build your reputation..As for dealerships you will get some business there but its going to be dirt cheap..something that you might want to take on at first to keep cash follow, but as you build your customer you might be able to drop those

That what I think from a business stand point...I know there are quite a few mobilie guys here that will help you with the rest
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the educated reply. Our town is growing at a very fast pace. We have Texas A&M university here and our city revolves around it. We are getting more and more higher end businesses such as wine shops,spas,etc. I think the dealer work may be the way to go at first to build a reputation. There aren`t alot of mobile guys here or detail shops on top of that. 3 detail shops and 2 large carwashes that do detailing. So I guess 5 or so. The main thing I guess is all in all I just wanna be happy and make a honest living. I don`t expect to get rich I just wanna provide for my boys. Thanks for the replys in advanced.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had my druthers then I would open a shop and be prepared to go mobile if necessary. That way I have a secure building to store all of my stuff without having to worry about it being in my garage. How tough is it really to break into a garage?

Another advantage of being in a shop is that you can set up the optimum lighting environment for jobs where you really do need it. Being mobile is great, but not everybody has a 1200 square foot garage to work in. Half the time I`m lucky if I can get the vehicle on the shady side of the house while I`m polishing it. Having somewhere to bring the cars would be a big plus.

Something that a shop here does is they have a huge warehouse of a detail shop and they store RVs and boats in the winter and off seasons. They also store a lot of high end cars for people who don`t want them sitting in their own garages. You could offer that kind of a service to help pay the rent.

You know the ins and outs of running a business, so I don`t need to tell you about getting the business license and insurance and all that fun stuff, but I would suggest that you look into the local laws on detailing. Technically it is a federal law that you can`t allow car washing water to run into city drains. So there may be the expense of water reclaimation equipment that you need to get in addition to whatever other supplies you need. That shouldn`t be too tough to look into though. It just depends on how die hard your area is on that law. There may also be other water restrictions in place that could pose a problem as a mobile detailer. Just make sure you consider as many possible problems as you can so that you have a plan if they come up.

If I had the capital to invest into my business right now then the first thing I would buy is a really good hot water extractor. Something like that would pay for itself in short order. It might set you back three or four grand to get the right unit, but man are they nice.... I`m jealous that you have the opportunity to start a business right and not have to piece it together over years and years like I have. Good luck in your venture!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and something about dealer work.... Don`t expect to get any money or referals that way. They can hire migrant workers to do that job for them. Most dealerships could care less about `detailing` a car. They just want it hosed off and somewhat clean. There aren`t many that look at a swirled up car and want to pay $200 to restore it to showroom condition. They take the crap cars that they would have to invest money in and sell them at the auction. Working for a dealer is going to be working for $9 bucks an hour hosing off cars all day. Not a whole lot of `detailing` gets done at those places. Perhaps smaller mom and pop dealerships would have some work for you, but my suggestion is to stick with private owners. Advertise in the yellow pages and online with a classified site like craigslist. You`ll make way more money and be way happier with your work. I`m generating about $500 a week doing this as a side job and the only advertising I do is on craigslist and word of mouth. It can definitely be a good starting point for getting a strong customer base.

Post Thanks / Like

Given the way you`ve described your options, I`d definately do it both ways. Hopefully the majority of the work would be done in the shop, but to have the ability to go mobile to do a job that`s worthy is huge. Obviously you`re going to have to market the hell out of yourself and the business, and I agree with whoever said to stay away from dealerships (unless you absolutely have to). Another tip I could offer to anyone starting out is not to go overboard in buyng supplies and tools. Keep it very simple at first, find a good dependable distributor and build your business as you go. I liked your comment about doing "less for more".

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again guys. The truck I have is a big "FritoLay " truck. It has a 18 foot box its 6.2ft tall and 88in wide. Its well lit inside too. I thought about mounting a RV type awning to the side of it to do cars under it. The water extractor is defiently something I want to get. I dont know a whole lot about them though. The truck itself is in awesome shape. I have taken VERY good care for it. Its a 91 chevy but it just cracked 100k. Eddie I like what you said about buying tools. Not to go overboard. I started out about 10 years ago with my dw849 and progressed from there. I have a bunch of tools already so I will be mostly needing cleaning supplies. As far as storing the truck with all my valuables I live in a secluded house and I haven`t had any problems with that. Im kinda pumped but a little scared, If it dosen`t work I have no one to blame but myself I guess. I can always work for the railroad! LOL!

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You have an interesting dilemma. I seldom post on this forum, but I thought your situation was interesting.

I`ve had a fixed location for over five years, and I have never been mobile, nor would I, in my area.

Noting that I have a definite `prejudice` towards being fixed, I offer some advice.

A well designed, professional appearance in your Shop gives you instant credibility. Use your truck as a billboard, and park it in at least one adjacent, conspicuous location.

A Shop allows you to work, regardless of the weather. You will be more efficient since you`ll eliminate travel. A Shop allows for heavy-duty equipment - a quality extractor requires 40 amps! A steamer requires its own 15 amp circuit, and on and on. T o sum up my admittedly one-sided opinion, I simply could not do `my level` of work on a mobile basis...

Look in to spending a week or so in an established, volume, upscale shop. That offers invaluable insight and experience. Also, most chemical suppliers offer some training (some much better than others) which can offer insight into selecting the proper chemical for the task at hand.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. It doesn`t need to be on a main thoroughfare (but maybe your `billboard` could be.... ) , although it needs to close and convenient to the upscale neighborhood(s) that you`ll be targeting. Do a search for demographic data on your area. Where is the population with the highest average household income? Highest mean home values? A commercial real estate agent can be very helpful in this area - find one.

Hope this helps. Best of Luck!

JB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybuffit View Post
    You have an interesting dilemma. I seldom post on this forum, but I thought your situation was interesting.
    Very sound advice. I for one would like to see you post here more often. A professionals advice is always good to have around.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the help. I think location might end up being expensive in my town. Our Town is growing so fast but so is the price of property. I talked to another guy today about wether to go mobile or shop and he said that he would go with the shop too just in case you " mess something up" On a custermors car the chances of being able to repair it properly at your shop are better than at some parking lot or home. Im a pretty cautious guy but crap happens and it did make good sence (sp). I also have a " grandfather" figure man that said he would help me some more finaccially. (sp) So coming up with some more money is achievable. I think the shop is a awesome idea and it would keep me out of the sun. Ill keep yall posted . I have 20 more days at my current job before I get my money. Then its all on me.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for that Commercial Real Estate Agent.

Allow him to listen to your goals, and your finances, and he`ll be able to tell you right away how practical your `vision` is.

Jim

Thread Information