Post Thanks / Like

paintless dent removal

Hey i was wondering if any other detailers were offering this for there customers, and where you could buy the system to get started. I have noticed that a lot of cars have parking lot dings this seems like a good thing to get into. ANY ADVICE?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paintless dent removal

From what I`ve read, it`s a pricey thing to get started in because of the tools and training. However, it is something that is in demand.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not as easy as buying the tools of the trade and practicing on a few cars. You have to go to school for this and it takes a long time to become good at it.

Look into schooling and go at it i guess. I`ve thought of it but in the long run its not worth it to me.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrueDetailer View Post
    Its not as easy as buying the tools of the trade and practicing on a few cars. You have to go to school for this and it takes a long time to become good at it.
    This is true. Some people take better to it than others.

I have gone to school for it but it didn`t take with me. I`ve been able to get out quite a few easy dents, but I just didn`t like doing it enough to get good at it.

It helps to have a body shop background so you know what`s behind the panels for accessing the dent.

Troy

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    From what I`ve read, it`s a pricey thing to get started in because of the tools and training. However, it is something that is in demand.
    If you do get into it, make sure you get good stainless tools. I made the mistake of getting just steel rods and they were junk. The nice thing about PDR is no product expense and very little equipment needed. You can work out of a trunk.

Troy

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Morrison1. I agree with your though process. PDR certainly goes hand-in-hand with detailing. A nice upsell either way you go...having dents repaired ---> add a detail, detailing ---> remove those pesky door dings. You work two jobs or more at the same location.

As others have mentioned it takes some specialized training and tools. But if you make the initial financial commitment and you have the knack for the work, it can produce a nice income stream with, as also mentioned above, low overhead.

Have you checked into schools in your area? What are tuition rates and curriculum plans? The schools should offer you sources, and maybe even discounted rates on purchasing a basic tool set.

...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve thought about this, and I`ve found a beginner set of tools somewhere online for around $550, a bit pricey but it`s the cheapest I`ve found. The shop I used to work in was shared with a PDR guy, we shared the office and everything and often bounced work off of each other. During slow days I`d sit back and watch the PDR guy do his work, really it doesn`t seem all that hard. If you have the proper tools and have an access point it takes nothing more than a keen eye (I`d assume most of us folks here have a keen eye) and a patient soul. If you think you can just "pop that out" think again, it takes a while to become good at the task but again if you have an access point and the patience to complete the task it`s far from impossible. I`ve thought about trying my hand at it many, many times. We`ve got a couple wreck yards around here I could go practice at and I`m sure they`d have no problem with that.

The amount of tools you can get your hands on is rediculous, they`ve got rods in every shape and size you can imagine, all have different tips on them too. If you can ever find a cheap set somewhere or can find something that works just as good I`d simply do what I said above, find a wrecker yard and go to town!
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post
    If you do get into it, make sure you get good stainless tools. I made the mistake of getting just steel rods and they were junk. The nice thing about PDR is no product expense and very little equipment needed. You can work out of a trunk.

Troy

Oh, I have no desire to get into it. I was just passing along some stuff I`ve read.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for the info,i might think about getting into this.I have a lot of customers i deal with and some of them have some dents on their cars. BUT I DONT LIKE SCHOOLS

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I offer PDR through a subcontract guy. I`m the only one who has done this in town, and I can`t understand why that`s so. He is great, and I make $25-$50 for every job he does for me. It is not everyday, but frequent in spring and fall.
    brenton
    Brenton Dickieson

spmpdr
    Post Thanks / Like

im currently at a PDR school called topgun its in california www.topgunpdr.com . the guy who runs this school is one of the best hes been doing pdr for 20years. read his site for the whole truth about pdr . pdr is not in demand everywhere nor is it easy to learn.

Thread Information