Post Thanks / Like

Different Start Up Business Questions?????

So I feel like I have a pretty good Idea about what products to use, how to advertise, what contacts to make. But I find it hard to find info on these other questions that I have.

How do you recieve payments i.e. cash, checks? Can someone working out of their home (or other peoples homes in this business) recieve credit card payments? If so how?

What do you feel is better for start up. Detailing at the customers house (using thier water and electricity when nesseccary)? Or using mobile equipment?

How do you go about getting your business license (California)?

What about Taxes, How does this work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Different Start Up Business Questions?????

you need POS equipment...for the next person who tried to make a joke...It`s Point-of-Sale. I think Paypal can sell you the stuff you need, and they charge something like 5% on every transaction.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delano5050 View Post
    So I feel like I have a pretty good Idea about what products to use, how to advertise, what contacts to make. But I find it hard to find info on these other questions that I have.

How do you recieve payments i.e. cash, checks? Can someone working out of their home (or other peoples homes in this business) recieve credit card payments? If so how?

Paypal is good, there area other alternatives through banks, you might want to check with your current bank.

What do you feel is better for start up. Detailing at the customers house (using thier water and electricity when nesseccary)? Or using mobile equipment?

I used the customer`s for 20+ years with no problems...carried my own hoses, and lots of extention cords..but then again I did a lot of exclusive cars at homes with people who knew I would need their facilities...if you plan of doing business or working on military bases like TexasTb, then you might require the trailer and mobile equipment.

How do you go about getting your business license (California)?

Go to you local govenment building, register a name for a business and get a tax ID #, they will tell you everything else from there as they will want your $$$

What about Taxes, How does this work?

hope that helped
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I will touch on the payment types right now. Will touch on the rest when I get back home.

I take the all mighty Cash, Check ($35 returned check fee), money order, and just this past week, Credit Cards. (Visa, AMEX, Discov., MC) eChecks, and Paypal.

I set it up through paypal and integrated it to my website. If someone wants to pay with plastic, they have to go onto my site and do so.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    hope that helped
    Thank You, this helped a lot. It`s good to know that others use the customers water and electricity. Is this how you started?

Post Thanks / Like

to answer your question about using the water and power from a customer. It really depends on the job.
    I have a mobile unit and I completely utilize it if I am detailing at a commercial area like a park and ride, business parking lot, etc. I use the generator and the pressure washer. I feel that this is ok because of the noise level of areas such as this anyway.
    If I am at a customer`s house, I will usually use their power, but still use the pressure washer just because it allows me to use less water. If I had to use the generator, I would have to keep it on almost the entire job and that can get annoying in a residential area. The last thing you want is to get a bad rep in a neighborhood where you could get 4-5 referals from the customer you are working with because you woke everyone up at 8am on Saturday morning.
    I have never had a customer ask me not to use their power or water though. Even when I pull up with the trailer, people still say "Ok, I`ll go get you a hose.... "

Thread Information