Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Attn: Pros: MSDS Sheets

I am going to hit on the topic of MSDS sheets.

It was brought to my attention a few days ago that MSDS sheets are MANDATORY. Some of you are saying of course, and some of you are saying BS. Here is the scoop....

I had a job on the Military Base here. Which I have had dozens of times before. Every time before, I had no problems getting on. This time was different. They would not allow me on Base without MSDS sheets for EVERY product in my trailer. Whether they look at them all of not, I do not know.

I had the Post Commander call me and tell me that if I wanted on, I would have to set up an appointment with him and bring in the MSDS sheets. Then I would be cleared to access the Base.

Another thing, if you are caught doing business without MSDS sheets present, you can be fined on the spot. I am not sure on the amount, but I know it is at least $500. I imagine they will shut you down until you get them, but not 100% sure. Also, if you get into an accident with you detailing rig, and you do not have the sheets handy, well, that is your butt.

I now have a complete, in detailed, 3 ring binder of ALL chemicals in my trailer, AND the MSDS sheets that go with them. I spent many hours trackikng them down, emailing companies, calling them, etc....

If you cannot get MSDS sheets for products, TAKE THEM OUT OF YOUR RIG. All chemicals that I cannot get MSDS sheets for, for one reason or another, have been taken out of my trailer and put on the shelf UNTIL I can get them. I am not risking fines due to carrying products without an MSDS for it. So get number, email addresses, and phone numbers for the products you use and GET THEM. If not, remove them.

Here is my MSDS binder...

I need a bigger binder, as I have about 100 more pages to punch holes in and put in there.

I am sure others will chime in that know a little more than me, but be legit....get your sheets and keep them handy.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Attn: Pros: MSDS Sheets

If you`re going to be detailing on a military installation, you definitely need the MSDS sheets. I can assure you that the military is a bit anal when it comes to stuff like that. We have a huge cabinet filled with the MSDS sheet of every chemical that is at our disposal. Everyone not only has to know where it is, but also how to read it. If they don`t know either of the two, they get in trouble. Aside from detailing on a military installation, I would think it would be good practice to keep them with you if you are detailing professionally. It`s a big CYA item and could get you out of a jam if an environmentalist doesn`t want you detailing in his/her neighborhood. Thanks for bringing this into the light Chris!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, I have been in the Air Force, and I know how anal things can get. LOL even the smallest thing can get you in deep......stuff.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

I have being carrying MSDS sheets with me for the past coupke of years.So far I havent being asked for them by anyone but you never now who you will come acros that will need to see them.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I have them for every product that I sell with this new company...I haven`t been asked for them yet but I`m ready!
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

When you have them, you`ll never be asked, but that one time you don`t have them, you will be... lol

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not just happening on military bases. I have one company that makes me submit a quarterly report of the amount of usage on each chemical I use that is listed in my MSDS folder. My waste water is also tested monthly. The good part is that most MSDS sheets can be found on the internet.

Have they talked to you about water revovery yet? If not you`re lucky. Here it`s mandatory.

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, at least from the folks that I have asked and asked, said there is no recovery here. At least in this town and surrounding areas.
    I went to the city first to talk to them, and the lady said there isn`t a law to require me to. She also said, "Hell, there aren`t any storm drains in this town, the sun evaporates everything". Which is pretty much true. LOL

I am still going through the ropes for more information. I was told by NUMEROUS city workers that I do not even need a business license. Since I am considered a hime based business that goes to my clients` homes.

Post Thanks / Like

I work at the Post Office Maintenance Facility and we have hundreds of Trailors here...The PO has truck washers come weekly to wash the tractors and trailers here...When they arrive a member of the HAZ MAT team goes and checks their MSDS sheets for products used...every time they come...no sheets no entry....They do not do water recovery so the products must be environmentally safe ..they also take a product sample for what ever reason that is..

So from what I am told..you need the MSDS sheets to do any work on government facilities whether state or federal ..here in this state...

AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply AL.

Post Thanks / Like

Great information Tex. That is definitely not something I would have even thought of.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing is that if you are a mobile detailer and have a trailer or van/truck whatever filled with detailing supplies the emergency response crew COULD ask to see them. That depends on how bored the fireman is and how much crap he feels like dishing out when he responds. And if you own a shop it is good to have them for a number of reasons, OSHA visits for one.

Thread Information