Post Thanks / Like

What is looked for in an employee!!!!

So I`m new to detail city. I was wondering what professionals looks for in an employee. I would like to work for a detail shop but don`t have that much experience (other than detailing my own cars and a lot of research on delailing). I do have work experience obviously, but not with detailing cars. I would like to `get into` it. What are the steps I need to take? Will a shop train someone they see fit? Any info would be great. Thank you.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is looked for in an employee!!!!

I look for clean cut and reliable first. Then I see if they are trust-worthy and conscientious. The employee I have now is spoiling me in those departments. He takes pride in the finished product and I enjoy working with him.

One fear that a lot of detailers have is hiring someone and training them just so they can quit and go out on their own. So you need to show that you won`t do that.

Learning the business and researching is good, but a good detailer is going to want to train you his way of doing things so experience or previous knowledge isn`t always a plus to me.

Good luck, I hope this helped.

Troy

BTW, Why don`t you tell us where your from? Someone on here might be interested in hiring you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry.....Like I said I`m new

I`m from California, Bay Area.

I have always loved cars and figured this would be a good opportunity to work with them.

I have been working as a personal trianer the last 2 years and definatly know how important reliability is. (Not really good business when someone is paying you $50-$60 to show up and your late or don`t show up at all ) Thank you for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I look for someone whose work I don`t have to check up on. When I send someone out to detail a car, I like to know that it is going to be detailed to the same standards that I hold myself to. I only have two guys that I trust to that extent. When it comes to new clients or high end clients that I am unable to take care of personally, then those two guys get the job. The other guys I have come with me on large jobs are not necessarily up to that level yet.

As far as training goes, most of the shops around here don`t invest much in training for their employees. They start you out washing cars and all the complicated stuff goes to the guys who know what they are doing. If you want to learn a skill like working with the rotary then you just have to basically work for free while you are learning. The best way to learn is to get the tool and start practicing on your own cars. Keep doing your research and learning from professionals online and then apply what you have learned to your own car.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You!

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I`d honestly look for someone eager to work and someone that is proud of the work they do before appearance(to a degree).
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Thread Information