Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lying cheating detailers

I feel that I would rather cheat myself as well. If I misquoted a price or gave it out before I saw the condition of the vehicle, I consider that my fault. The customer shouldn`t suffer for that.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    I feel that I would rather cheat myself as well. If I misquoted a price or gave it out before I saw the condition of the vehicle, I consider that my fault. The customer shouldn`t suffer for that.
    Exactly, that has been one of the most important lessons for me to learn in this business. If you want to be known for doing quality work and you don`t want to cheat yourself out of what you should make, then being able to quote an accurate price is essential to doing good business.

I still fall short in that area after 16 years of detailing. Especially on the bigger jobs like boats, Rv`s, planes, commercial vehicles. I find it almost impossible to have a set price per foot. I have gotten to where I look at each bigger job before I give a price, then coming to do an estimate gets factored into the price.

Troy

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity
    If you want to be known for doing quality work and you don`t want to cheat yourself out of what you should make, then being able to quote an accurate price is essential to doing good business.

I still fall short in that area after 16 years of detailing. Especially on the bigger jobs like boats, Rv`s, planes, commercial vehicles. I find it almost impossible to have a set price per foot. I have gotten to where I look at each bigger job before I give a price, then coming to do an estimate gets factored into the price.

Troy
    To cover yourself when doing any job big or small, be sure your customer understands it`s an ESTIMATE ! In almost every service profession, whether it be a carpenter, painter, detailer or even a mechanic, you give an honest opinion and then compensation for unseen problems can result with higher costs. Just be sure you repeat the word estimate before hand !!!
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you are trying to do an estimate on the phone, that`s fine, if your doing a firm quote binding deal, stop! These are customers that are price shopping and you will have nothing but trouble as they milk you for all your service. Get efficient, quote by time, effort, quality, and you exceed your customers expectations!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB View Post
    OK...

I talked to a "guy" today, who, I guess, details.......or hacks I guess you can say. Said he has been detailing for a "while"...

He seen my trailer and came up to me. Asking me questions. Windows was one of the topics. He asked if I cleaned windows if they looked clean.....

ummmm. O.......K..........

I said yes, why. He said he saves time by not doing windows if they look clean....... Another....O.........K..........

Whay would anyone do that? If a customer pays for something, don`t you think they should get it? Even if windows are spotless, I still go over them. Never know, the customer could have left a finger print hidden on a windo on purpose somewhere.....lol

Why do people like to cheat customers out of money and cut corners?
    It is hackers like that, that give honest detailers like me a BAD NAME, and it pises me off!

BTW, I asked if they ever been to DetailCity......His response....
    "Where is that? What state?"
    I left it at that, as I did not think having a "Hack" join the forum was a good thing......

People these days............................
    TexasTB....

I`m new to this forum and know nothing about detailing. I`m simpling looking to educate myself on detailing so I know how to find a quality detailer for my car (I live in N.VA). What you`re describing above is what I`m afraid of ....some guy (or gal) trying to make a few bucks of someone like me - who just wants their car cleaned up real nice ect. I`m not out to impress anyone and I`m not showing my car off, I just want to take care of my investment. This NG is helping me to learn more about the trade and art (it sounds like it is a real art) and what to look for in a good detailer and how to spot a bad one.

BTW....how does a complete newbie find a good, honest detailer that will not take advantage of them - like the guy you spoke of?

dwiggin3

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, your best bet is to learn how to properly detail a vehicle and do it yourself. The initial costs of some products might set you back a bit, but you`ll save a lot in the long run.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

As with any service, you should have some well targeted questions to ask that should give you an idea of whether or not to do business with them.

Here`s a few I would ask if I were looking for a good detailer-

Can I see some of your work?

What exactly do you do to the paint?

What products do you use? On paint? Leather? Wheels?

If you don`t want to interrogate him (the interrogators aren`t my favorite customers to deal with), then I would simply find someone you know that really cares about their car and ask them who they use.

A high-end body shop is another good source for advice on who to use as well as a performance shop.

Hope this helps,

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I just want to say this has been one of my favorite threads on here. I like to see how other detailers think in areas like this. Let`s have more threads like this one.

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    TexasTB....

I`m new to this forum and know nothing about detailing. I`m simpling looking to educate myself on detailing so I know how to find a quality detailer for my car (I live in N.VA). What you`re describing above is what I`m afraid of ....some guy (or gal) trying to make a few bucks of someone like me - who just wants their car cleaned up real nice ect. I`m not out to impress anyone and I`m not showing my car off, I just want to take care of my investment. This NG is helping me to learn more about the trade and art (it sounds like it is a real art) and what to look for in a good detailer and how to spot a bad one.

BTW....how does a complete newbie find a good, honest detailer that will not take advantage of them - like the guy you spoke of?
    dwiggin3
    A lot of people are out to make an easy buck of an unsuspecting person. I`m sure all of us have been screwed over one way or another, somehow. I would ask a lot of questions here, as well as read up and learn the `lingo` and processes used to detail a car CORRECTLY. We have a handful of "wash and waxers" that call themselves detailers, but aren`t even close.
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Troy@DetailCity View Post

If you don`t want to interrogate him (the interrogators aren`t my favorite customers to deal with), then I would simply find someone you know that really cares about their car and ask them who they use.
    Troy

I hate dealing with people like that. Those are the ones i`ll tell on the phone to take their car elsewhere. Most times even if you make their car look brand new they will still find something to complain about. I don`t mind a few simple questions but once it gets to the point of me having to explain every process and product i don`t want to deal with the people.

Post Thanks / Like

back on this subject...

On another forum, there is a kid on there calling himsele a professional detailer..... why? Because he gets paid for what he does.....

which makes him a pro. Now, I don`t know about you, but I must be a pro at a lot of things. I did once install a radio once, and my buddy gave me $20 bucks. I didn`t know what I was doing back then, but hey, I got paid, so I was a professional.

People like that, whom lie constantly, and make themselves believe the lies, ar ethe ones tht will not be around long....
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

back on this subject...

On another forum, there is a kid on there calling himsele a professional detailer..... why? Because he gets paid for what he does.....

which makes him a pro. Now, I don`t know about you, but I must be a pro at a lot of things. I did once install a radio once, and my buddy gave me $20 bucks. I didn`t know what I was doing back then, but hey, I got paid, so I was a professional.

People like that, whom lie constantly, and make themselves believe the lies, ar ethe ones tht will not be around long....
    That`s in-part what gives the real pros bad names....I have made it a point of talking with a lot of so called detailers and the answers that you get are all over the place...I also take issue when someone washes and puts some wax on the car and then calls that detailing...that sheer hours and pain staking detail that I put into a car is detailing not a mere wash and wax
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, that is what rubs me the wrong way.
    95% of the shops here do that. call it a detail. Then upsell clay, machine polishing/buffing, stain removal etc. All the while, when you add it all up to mirror what I include, it is actually more expensive.

Now, when I get calls from customers, I am too high they say, and so and so down the road DETAILS for 80 bucks, which is my wash and wax package.

SO my wash and wax, is their detail......
    I dunno these days

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, that is what rubs me the wrong way.
    95% of the shops here do that. call it a detail. Then upsell clay, machine polishing/buffing, stain removal etc. All the while, when you add it all up to mirror what I include, it is actually more expensive.

Now, when I get calls from customers, I am too high they say, and so and so down the road DETAILS for 80 bucks, which is my wash and wax package.

SO my wash and wax, is their detail......
    I dunno these days
    While then give them the wash and wax package and tell them its your express detail..covers you in both ways and competes with the guys down the road
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    While then give them the wash and wax package and tell them its your express detail..covers you in both ways and competes with the guys down the road
    I could never have done that ..it was either the right way or the highway
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information