Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    ...Dreaming on an E92.... LikeaRock's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lying cheating detailers

Integrity is at a loss in society today, but that`s neither here nor there... It relates to detailing, but it doesn`t, I guess...

Like my last boss said to me...Detailing to most customers isn`t about what you do, it`s about what you don`t do. That`s what catches their eye

Quote Originally Posted by kbbiii
    I have to agree that there are some people out there that are just in it to make some money and get out. For them it is not a legitimate business and what I mean about that is they don`t have a license, insurance and pay taxes on that business.

This is my full time gig (3 years now) and my intention is for it to go to the next level within 2 years to a full shop with mobile service.

I have a guy around town (another so called detailer) that every time he sees me he calls me to see what I charge for washing. I tell him and he always tells me that he charges more and that he gets its all the time and that I should raise my prices because it is better for all of us. Not sure what his return client business is like but I am not into gouging my customers to make money I am in it to have them call me back or use my services from week to week or whatever they are comfortable with.

My feeling is that I do the best job that I can on each and every vehicle and for my return clients I am always throwing something extra in just to keep them coming back.

Kenny
    I`ve been starting out in kind of the same way. I`ve only been on my own for 7 months, my work has been steady, more than I thought it would be for this time of year, but I`ve got my hopes that I can work towards the same thing, I`d totally dig having a shop and still have a mobile service as well. I`m looking 5+ years down the road before I can even think about opening up a shop for real, but I`d like to get there. It takes a while to build up a good reputation in this business, I`ve seen that and I`m willing to accept the challenge,, just as you have
    "Lifes too short to live in caution"

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs02
    ...One has nothing to do with the other, even if the carpet is clean you give it a "token" go over for no other reason other than you are being paid for it.
    Well I guess I`ll just have to join in with the picking of nits My pricing considers the need for a thorough vacuuming. So by your definition, a "token" pass is still a short change. And that customer must be due a rebate/refund of those extra 5-10 minutes not spent vacuuming some imaginary something. The point is if you are short changing your customer(s) by not delivering quality work it will eventually catch up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by audiboy
    The simple definition of integrity is doing the right thing even though no one is looking. Preachy or not, I think it directly relates to the issue at hand.
    We are obviously going to disagree on the validity of the point. At the risk of carrying us further off the mud track, before anyone gets too carried away with their integrity...I would expect everyone beating their chests to have never a) came to work late or left early without deducting their pay (yep even just 5 minutes, because that is basically from whence this came, b) took even 5 extra minutes on break or lunch, used company resources (pens/paper/copier/computer/internet to post on a detailing forum etc.) without reimbursing the company c) was not fully involved in company business every single minute that they are being paid. And talk about stealing...I don`t even want to get started on military spending waste. Maybe apply some of that integrity when preparing a budget, or over spending with a government contractor. Dang that detailer that "cheated" his customer by 5-10 minutes doing something that didn`t need to be done!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    Well I guess I`ll just have to join in with the picking of nits My pricing considers the need for a thorough vacuuming. So by your definition, a "token" pass is still a short change. And that customer must be due a rebate/refund of those extra 5-10 minutes not spent vacuuming some imaginary something. The point is if you are short changing your customer(s) by not delivering quality work it will eventually catch up to you.
    The point that I was making was that if you are charging for the service then do it, or as you pointed out adjust your price accordingly.
    What Chris was referring too seemed like a regular practice for this one detailer, which is not good for the credability other detailers out there.

"J"

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yikes....didn`t mean for the post to go like this....
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB
    yikes....didn`t mean for the post to go like this....
    Do you want the thread closed or do you want to wait and see if it cleans itself up?

Charles

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s fine
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Hail the power of Quattro audiboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My original point about integrity is doing what is right within your control. If your views are different, so be it. I just think that it is only fair to perform the services that you`re getting paid for.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    I`m not going to argue with you on what you do, but I am going to offer a different perspective. Take it FWIW.

Given the example cited, I am going to be in the backseat checking the seats, floorboards, package tray. I`m going to have my hose nozzle in hand while I do this. I`m also normally doing at least a damp wipe of the seats/panels etc. as well. If a thorough "deep" vaccuming of the area is not warranted, I`m not going to offer a discount for the maybe 10 or so minutes that I don`t spend. Likewise if I have to spend an extra 10-20 minutes doing extra vacuuming (or other undetected touch ups) I`m not going to bill my customer an upcharge. As I`m certain most pros here, my fees are time based, yet rarely do I hit those estimated times exactly, so if it takes me a little less time that`s good and if it takes me a little more time that`s OK as well.

I`m sure you posted this with good intentions, but this came off as more than just a bit preachy and way too dramatic for the example cited.
    I never stated that anyone ought to adjust your price - I only stated that you ought to be up front and honest with the customer. If they believe you are going to do something, then do it. Else, tell them you didn`t do it, and why. Majority of the time, they will probably understand and be okay with it. If you don`t do something they believe you are going to do, and they find out about it otherwise (i.e. in this case, maybe they see this post on DC) they are probably going to be upset, will probably not use you for return service, and they could possibly tell others that, at least in their eyes, you ripped them off - which hurts your professional reputation.

I see no benefit whatsoever from not honestly communicating with the customer.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

When I started detailing on the side a few months ago to help pay the bills, I found that one, I bought way too much stuff to start with and two, I tried to make every car a show car. I know I gave the customers a great deal compared to a regular detail shop. But, it was a learning process and I have a better grasp on things now. I know better than try to buy and try every compound,polish and LSP out there. The old "work smarter, not harder" motto is soooo true! My customers get the whole description of services, products used and why it`s important. I like to talk and would rather have a happy "educated" customer go out and tell his/her friends that "that guy that detailed my car really knows his stuff." I agree with the poster that did a little extra for the customer, folks appreciate that and tell their friends. Look at the AutoZone commercial where the guy is telling his buddies that he saved money by AZ checking his starter and letting him know it wasn`t broke. SEE, treat customers like YOU want to be treated, even if it takes a little longer or you goofed on the original estiment ( like that ever happened LOL). I know better than try to turn a 8 year old beater into a prize winning show car and I tell the customer up front that yes I can probably get 100% of those scratches and swirls out, but it`s going to thin your clear coat and unless you`re selling or plan on repainting in a few years - go with getting 90% out. Every customer I`ve ever worked with was happy to just get a clean shiny car, and didn`t notice those fine spider web lines until I showed it to them with flouresent or halogen lights. Think about it, my customers rarely wash their cars, most go to the coin car wash and spray. Getting it clayed, polished and sealed is a BIG deal to them, and they don`t have the criticle eye that I have. That was a hard lesson to learn, but after a while I got it!

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug
    My customers get the whole description of services, products used and why it`s important. I like to talk and would rather have a happy "educated" customer go out and tell his/her friends that "that guy that detailed my car really knows his stuff."
    As I look back to when I was detailing, this was true for very few of my customers. Most just left or handed the keys over and expected a clean beautiful car when I was finished. What I did, how I did it, or what I used was of no consequense to most. A few did really watch and ask about everything

I agree with the poster that did a little extra for the customer, folks appreciate that and tell their friends. treat customers like YOU want to be treated, even if it takes a little longer or you goofed on the original estiment ( like that ever happened LOL).
    I never gave people an estimate, only a range of price ...you never know what you will run into and other than wet sanding, there never were extras...either do the whole job right or go to someone else was how I worked.

I know better than try to turn a 8 year old beater into a prize winning show car and I tell the customer up front that yes I can probably get 100% of those scratches and swirls out, but it`s going to thin your clear coat and unless you`re selling or plan on repainting in a few years - go with getting 90% out.

This is very wise and I have said it to many a person, but I never called their car a beater

Every customer I`ve ever worked with was happy to just get a clean shiny car, and didn`t notice those fine spider web lines until I showed it to them with flouresent or halogen lights. Think about it, my customers rarely wash their cars, most go to the coin car wash and spray. Getting it clayed, polished and sealed is a BIG deal to them, and they don`t have the criticle eye that I have. That was a hard lesson to learn, but after a while I got it!
    You have learned a lot I never showed people their cars under flouresent or halogens unless they had them in their garage. As you stated they wouldn`t really know what they were looking at or for if you didn`t show them under conditions that they normally do not see their car.
    Give them a car that looks almost as good as it left the showroom and 99.9% will be happy return customers
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

and they don`t have the criticle eye that I have. That was a hard lesson to learn, but after a while I got it!

This was also real hard for me to learn, most people don`t see what I do, and that can be a good thing
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy, you`ve made my whole day! Just to clear up a few points - Educate them and you show you`re more than just a car washer. When asked about price, I explain what needs to be done to get the paint looking it`s best and I always do wheels, tires, glass and vac and what the price will be. If I had to do a little more I tell them and let them know it`s included with the first price - most decide to tip after that! No, I`ve never called anybody`s car a beater (to their face) - I`ve talked about a few here, but not to anyone around home. I feel really good that a Sponsor commented on my post, now if that guy would just call me back about that job on Saturday!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Not totally off- topic, not totally on the subject either, but.....

The most common complaint I hear about detailers is that they either don`t do the windows or don`t do them well. I don`t think I ever hear people complain about the not so great job on the paint and all the greasy, shiny stuff in the engine compartment, just that the windows didn`t look clean.

Charles

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy
    This was also real hard for me to learn, most people don`t see what I do, and that can be a good thing
    Yeah, but that knife cuts both ways. When you`ve done in your mind an exceptional turn around either on a grand scale or just some small detail, and it goes without notice or overt appreciation, they probably never noticed it in the first place. Hehe, then we have to remind ourselves exactly what it is that we do, and where it fits in the grand scheme of things.

And CharlesW, as many of us know, windows can be some of the toughest assignments. I`ve sought out different products and tools in order to help with this chore. LOL even my current glass product`s name gives me hope -- Hope`s Perfect Glass. Even after the most earnest of efforts, a different lighting situation has exposed a slight smudge on my own glass. I try to have my lovely Wife give vehicles a once over before delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Clean, that reminds me of one of Paul Harvey`s stories. There was a guy that polished coffins, he was very good at it and the wood looked beautiful. But, he thought, hey, nobody ever really gets to see and appreciate my work. So he decided to do something else, and the world is safer for it - cause the first 007, Sean Connery decided to change careers, and now you know....................the rest of the story!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information