The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Open/enclosed trailers

While I`m not likely to ever be a mobil detailer, I did have a question or two about the trailers used.
    1. How do you keep products and equipment from being stolen from an open trailer?
    2. Don`t you have to be very careful about securing products on an open trailer?
    Not just from thieves, but from blowing or bouncing out. At least in an enclosed trailer, anything that comes loose should still be with you.
    3. Are there any real advantages to the open trailer other than cost and possibly weight?
    4. I see wood floors used a lot and that would seem to make for a very heavy trailer.
    5. Are most of the enclosed trailers single axle?
    6. Are there enough advantages to an aluminum trailer to offset the cost?
    7. Would there be any real difference in longevity between the aluminum or the steel trailer? It seems like the steel would be subject to rust, but the aluminum would be subject to corrosion.
    8. Some use a drop ramp style door while others have swing doors. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of both styles?
    9. Is having more doors than just the rear doors worth losing the storage space?
    10. Anybody think that`s plenty of questions?

Charles

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Open/enclosed trailers

1. You cannot keep things from being stolen, you just have to keep an eye on things....sad but true

2. Yes, everything has to be bolted, tied, welded, clamped, or bungie corded down, don`t ask me how I know....lol

3. Advantage of an open utility, you can just walk up to it and grab whatever you need.

4. Over the weight of the trailer itself, a wood floor will not add too much extra weight. I was able to move my 4x8 around with my bare hands, with full tank of water. Not heavy at all empty weight.

5. Most are, unless you are hauling a huge amount of stuff. And if you do more than detailing, such as rock chip repair, windsheild repair, touch up painting, etc, then extra room is usually needed. Pulling a bigger trailer is a disadvantage though. It is hard to get in tight places and turning around at dead ends....again.....don`t ask me how I know....lol

6. I opted for an all steel trailer. More secure IMHO. I seen pics where theives took a box cutter to the side of an aluminum trailer. Opened it like a tuna can...

7. It just depends on how well you take care of it. Again, I opted for the steel for the reason above. Also, I can weld things inside. Also would be cheaper to repair if it was dented, dinged etc......IMHO. Hail damage too...

8. Swing doors, you can add racks on them. Open the door and grap whatever you need. Double doors or single swing door.
    Drop down door, you cannot put anything on it, of course. BUT, loading and unloading is easier. if you have an extractor, just roll it up and down the ramp, where mine, I have to pick it up all the time. Not that heavy, but still. I have to keep the tank empty when I load and unload, whereas the ramp, you can fill it before you leave the house...

9. Yes, I wish I would have waited for a trailer with a side door, but I modified the interior of mine to make it work. It would be nice to have a side door, but mine works fine for me.

10. Keep em coming.....
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump.....
    I want to see other opinions as well...
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW
    While I`m not likely to ever be a mobil detailer, I did have a question or two about the trailers used.
    1. How do you keep products and equipment from being stolen from an open trailer?
    2. Don`t you have to be very careful about securing products on an open trailer?
    Not just from thieves, but from blowing or bouncing out. At least in an enclosed trailer, anything that comes loose should still be with you.
    3. Are there any real advantages to the open trailer other than cost and possibly weight?
    4. I see wood floors used a lot and that would seem to make for a very heavy trailer.
    5. Are most of the enclosed trailers single axle?
    6. Are there enough advantages to an aluminum trailer to offset the cost?
    7. Would there be any real difference in longevity between the aluminum or the steel trailer? It seems like the steel would be subject to rust, but the aluminum would be subject to corrosion.
    8. Some use a drop ramp style door while others have swing doors. What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of both styles?
    9. Is having more doors than just the rear doors worth losing the storage space?
    10. Anybody think that`s plenty of questions?

Charles
    Well lets see here:

1. One of the reasons I went with and enclosed traile (considered a used van as well)
    2. Very much so.....I had the PW decide to jump out once.
    3.As said above....easier to get to things (kinda)
    4.both of my trailers had or have wood floors and considering the options that is the lightest one to my knowledge.
    5.Not at all. Once you go bigger than 10` then the double axel comes into play.
    6. Security and My personal opinion is it has a cleaner look and lets face it "Image is important"
    7. Not usre about this one.
    8. I am a big fan of the swing doors for the added storage on the doors.
    9. I like the side door for access as I have a 225 gal. tank that pretty much is as wide as my trailer is so I can easily get by on the sides.
    10. Great questions.

Now as I have said before I started out small and on a tight budget and now that I have been in operation for 3+ years I have found the I need to room and really considered going to a van but just couldn`t find the right one for the right price. Remember as I said above, Image is vcery important and I think that it is important to have a clean and well organized system so your customers will see that you are serious.

Kenny

Thread Information