Post Thanks / Like

Question DIY Trailer Questions

The more I see trailers the more I want one.

I was crusing the net and ran across this website: DIY Enclosed Trailer | Building an Enclosed Trailer

I`ve always wondered what materials could be used to enclose a regular flat trailer.

I want something more versatile. For instance i want to be able to take the roof on and off when I want to. I figure that there has to be a slide and lock mechanism that can be placed on the side and front walls that will allow this type of thing to take place. Or better yet be able to take off what ever you want (walls or roof) and still have a functioning trailer.

The reason I say this I have a friend that brought the subject up while we were helping he and his wife move. He has both an enclosed and non-enclosed trailer and we were joking about the fact that it would have been nice to load the trailers up with furniture with no worries. The furniture was to tall for the enclosed trailer and he has no side walls on the non-enclosed trailer. Plus his wife would have had a fit!!!

Anyway I`ve been looking into gettting a trailer for a long time now and he said, " It is a shame that I have these trailers and can`t do anything with them other than move small things.

I thought to myself I want an enclosure but would love to have one that is sturdy yet can accomodate what I need with no problem.

For you guys with trailers do you know if their are guidelines that must be followed according to how trailers should be made in order to use them on the road?

I know having a tag and break lights but is there anything else that has to be done?

Also for you DIY`ers what other matterials could be used to make trailers that look like the Pace and Route 66 trailers? Are the materials only sold to maufacturers or can we (retailers) purchase the materials to make our won stuff with it.

Thoughts Feedback...

Troy I hope I placed this in the correct forum. If I did not I apologize....

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Trailer Questions

Aluminum is a great material to use on trailers. I had a machine shop bend an aluminim frame for my truck. It has four sides and I cover it with a tonneau cover that I already had.

It gives me great flexibility and total enclosure. The canopy is held together with eight bolts and held down with canopy clamps. The tonneau cover is held down on the canopy the same as if it were attached to the truck box using the clamp system that came with the tonneau cover.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I am talking about. There is not a weld in it. It was all bent to using an aluminum brake.

It is not cheap but it was cheaper than purchasing a new canopy and I was able to utilize my tonneau cover.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

Hey that looks good....See you are from TX hope you are doing ok over there....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment!

Ya, we are high and dry for the moment. Another storm and cold weather are in the offing though.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Thread Information