Get over it and move on. Bellydawg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Pricing

I detailed my mom`s car the other day and the neighbor came over to ask about her car. She has a late model Cadillac Sedan Deville that is a cream color. It has high mileage yet looks decent paint wise. I ran down the process for my mom`s car; wash, clay, AIO, polish, sealant, glaze and wax, as well as doing the glass, headlights and wheels. During the conversation I gave her no pricing but she commented that she had recently had her Mercedes (mid 80s model) done. She said that the process was more than what she wanted because she plans to sell it soon. She just wants its to shine again. I suggested then to wash, clay, AIO and sealant. Also buff the headlights, do the wheels and wheel wells plus the glass.

This would be my first paying job for something that is a hobby. My 14 year old son wants to help to earn some money. My thoughts were to charge around $100 for the entire job. Looking for thoughts of whether this is appropriate. I know that it is area dependent. I am in the Houston, Texas area.

Thanks for the help.
    Jim
    Facts are not the truth, but only indicate where the truth may lie.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Bellydawg
    I detailed my mom`s car the other day and the neighbor came over to ask about her car. She has a late model Cadillac Sedan Deville that is a cream color. It has high mileage yet looks decent paint wise. I ran down the process for my mom`s car; wash, clay, AIO, polish, sealant, glaze and wax, as well as doing the glass, headlights and wheels. During the conversation I gave her no pricing but she commented that she had recently had her Mercedes (mid 80s model) done. She said that the process was more than what she wanted because she plans to sell it soon. She just wants its to shine again. I suggested then to wash, clay, AIO and sealant. Also buff the headlights, do the wheels and wheel wells plus the glass.

This would be my first paying job for something that is a hobby. My 14 year old son wants to help to earn some money. My thoughts were to charge around $100 for the entire job. Looking for thoughts of whether this is appropriate. I know that it is area dependent. I am in the Houston, Texas area.

Thanks for the help.
    Base you price off of time, I like to give a range so that if I run into something that takes longer I`m covered...Not knowing your area a $100 to $130 should cover you...don`t sell yourself short just because you are a part timer at this...you could also call around and ask what detailers are charging this way you have an idea about what the going rates are
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

what`s the worst that can happen?
    well, you can damage the car
    but barring that, you might have been able to make a few dollars more. do it for the price you can, and you`ll find a price range that works for you.
    b
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

just remember, most customers dont care about light swirl removal polishing or clay baring (unless they say something) i normally throughly clean the outside, and just wax(using buffer) the outside with a durable high quality wax (thats for 90% of my customers)..... i normally charge 80 bucks, and each additional step i charge 40 dollars more
    1. exterior wash/ windows trim tires wheel wheels $40
    2. plus wax using buffer $40
    3. quick spray wax after wash i charge $20
    4. polish $40
    5. clay $40
    if its a small sports car a little less, but cadillac i charge what i have above (at least)

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

wow i never realized detailing a car was worth so much. i`ve been missing out all this time

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your economy. You might be missing out, but probably not. A lot of people do it without proper insurance and proper products to cut corners too. IMO, you are missing nothing.
    Brenton Dickieson

Thread Information