Post Thanks / Like

Looking To Start My Own Business

Any Help On Prices Do You Charge Per Hr. Per Job And Add Ons Thinking About Starting My Own Business See How It Goes Then Invest In A Place For The Winter If Not Well Go From There

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking To Start My Own Business

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge $40 an hour. I don`t care if I`m cleaning your windows or removing 15 years of oxidation. $40 is my rate and every job is priced out based on that.

What is your background in detailing? I only ask because if you need to ask what to charge and what type of services to offer, then it may not be something you want to start up as a business just yet. This job has quite the learning curve and it takes awhile to get the hang of all the techniques and products that it takes to be effecient. It is a good side job for a beginner, but I wouldn`t suggest making a big investment in it unless you are above the beginner level.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I charge $40 an hour. I don`t care if I`m cleaning your windows or removing 15 years of oxidation. $40 is my rate and every job is priced out based on that.

What is your background in detailing? I only ask because if you need to ask what to charge and what type of services to offer, then it may not be something you want to start up as a business just yet. This job has quite the learning curve and it takes awhile to get the hang of all the techniques and products that it takes to be effecient. It is a good side job for a beginner, but I wouldn`t suggest making a big investment in it unless you are above the beginner level.

thats exactly what I base my prices on $40 an hour + materials, $12 for cars, $15 for truck in materials, more on otehr jobs..

Post Thanks / Like

anywhere from 40-60$ per hour is reasonable. dont cut yourself short.

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge $30/hr. THe most expensive place in town is $33 (except Chrome repair).
    I would love to not be in business and work for someone else. Make sure this is really what you want.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Detail
    I would love to not be in business and work for someone else.
    really?? Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe`s Detail
    really?? Why?
    I can manage a business. I can do the work. I`m great with customers and okay with sales.
    But I cannot handle the stress of building the business. Rent, insurance, staff, inventory, advertising--a bad week, no money, an economy that is slowing in growth, world petroleum planets, no water on Mars. There are lots of stresses, and I would sell my business (now) at a loss (there is a franchise) and work for them if I could.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

man, sounds tough, but wish u the best...good luck! stay focused.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys i think i am going to start out working on the weekends and weeknights and go from there

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to you. This is a great way to approach a business like this. Low overhead and a single man operation is great. Even hiring a kid to help works well.

My business is doing really well. Doubling and tripling sales. Still, I would prefer to be working for the man.
    Brenton Dickieson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BOWANNA03 View Post
    Any Help On Prices Do You Charge Per Hr. Per Job And Add Ons Thinking About Starting My Own Business See How It Goes Then Invest In A Place For The Winter If Not Well Go From There
    What experience do you have?

It depends on that in some cases...I charge $50 an hour can be a bit less on full details....I have over 30 years hands on experience
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

i personally just have packages, with set prices, which boils out to about 30 to 50 an hour.......just remember the people on this forum that detail for a living do a quick and very detailed job on cars, when i first started detailing cars (mine and immediate family), i would take all day to do a car, now with over 5 years of experience under my belt , i have shaved about 3 to 4 hours off my full details, so basically i doubled my efficiency and quality of work, no one is going to pay 50 dollars an hour if it takes you 6 to 8 hours a car.........good luck
    i would start with friends and family members cars, to get experience and see how that goes, and just take it from there... you really need to get a couple years under your belt before you start marketing yourself as a detailer
    good luck with everything

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna go full out too, some piece of sanity made me realize, I need a business plan, and a better economy. Detailing is(to me) about disposable income. I needed to market it to that group, there`s only so many people with that type of money that I know of. I have three regular customers. I try and make them happy. Maybe it will build from there....I still advertise, I have professional business cards. I don`t have a garage though. At least at this stage...there are great books available for the do it yourselfer

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, your base prices for your jobs should break down to about $60 an hour, then you should become good at upselling once you are at a customer`s house for stuff like paint sealant, carpet protection, engine detailing, etc. I will shoot for $100 an hour, and I can get it usually if I can upsell the paint sealant and one other additional service. Leather conditioning is my best upsell.
    The time you take to do a detail will boost your income as well. once you set up a routine, and start to do it over and over, you will knock your time down, and that will boost your hourly rate as well. My advice on this is to set up EVERYTHING before you start on the car. get out all the chemicals, brushes, hoses, extention cords, etc. Get your pads set up on your buffer/polisher, whatever. That way you can just go from one step to another without taking the time to get what you need ready for your next step. This alone will knock 1- 1 1/2 hours off your job. It`s amazing.

Thread Information