Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does One Company Have it all?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Interesting info Re GG...I`ve never paid any attention to the Behind-the-Scenes stuff there, never heard of Mr. Brown, etc.
    Well, it`s not like I pay a LOT of attention...I think it`s over on AGO one of the members links to a lot of Griot`s videos, and a few years ago there was one of Richard in the lab with the chemists making decisions about stuff, and Brownie (Jeff Brown) was kind of front and center when the BOSS polishing system was released.

At some point I think they pictured their bottling operation in the catalog...I don`t know if they are actually blending there, or just bottling. It`s always amused me the places that don`t blend but only bottle...I don`t know if that is just for cost savings, or if it looks to laymen like they "make" the stuff if they are bottling it, or if it`s to keep the warehouse employees from knowing exactly which product that`s coming in is going into which bottle...instead of looking at the return address on the box of pre-bottled stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBvkaYtcFfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jared6180 View Post
    Maybe I am not very smart, but am I the only one that gets confused by all the different offerings and all the different colors of products.
    You`re not alone. I even made a thread called "Chemical Confusion" or something like that years ago.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For whats it worth..check out Scotts latest you tube video, Dallas Paint Correction and auto detailing ...Very interesting and maybe shine some light on this

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Thanks for the thumbnail sketch. Your visits to AGO and YouTube viewing are still a lot more exposure to the Detailing World than I get, as I only frequent Autopia.

I`ll admit I wonder why people get into such Detailing Product Exposure that the silly-numerous different product lines become any kind of issue. IMO you can just ignore 99% of all the Detailing stuff out there and still do perfectly good work. I suppose it`s concern about missing out on the next greatest thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Thanks for the thumbnail sketch. Your visits to AGO and YouTube viewing are still a lot more exposure to the Detailing World than I get, as I only frequent Autopia.

I`ll admit I wonder why people get into such Detailing Product Exposure that the silly-numerous different product lines become any kind of issue. IMO you can just ignore 99% of all the Detailing stuff out there and still do perfectly good work. I suppose it`s concern about missing out on the next greatest thing.
    Well I was certainly on the flavor-of-the-month/next greatest thing bandwagon for a while, but I think I`ve mostly gotten over that...well, somewhat gotten over that. But it took you some time/experience to come to your opinion that you can ignore the 99% (which I`ll take to mean you can get good results with most products)...think about the newb who just got a new car and wants to maintain it and being overwhelmed...and endeavors to study/understand the silly-numerous different product lines. Unless I misunderstood you.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, it`s not like I pay a LOT of attention...I think it`s over on AGO one of the members links to a lot of Griot`s videos, and a few years ago there was one of Richard in the lab with the chemists making decisions about stuff, and Brownie (Jeff Brown) was kind of front and center when the BOSS polishing system was released.

At some point I think they pictured their bottling operation in the catalog...I don`t know if they are actually blending there, or just bottling. It`s always amused me the places that don`t blend but only bottle...I don`t know if that is just for cost savings, or if it looks to laymen like they "make" the stuff if they are bottling it, or if it`s to keep the warehouse employees from knowing exactly which product that`s coming in is going into which bottle...instead of looking at the return address on the box of pre-bottled stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBvkaYtcFfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A
    Setec Astronomy -----
    Thanks for the youtube links !
    Wow, Richard Griot is getting up there in years! I remember way back when he was just a young whippersnapper...

Something was mentioned about sniffing coffee grounds in between sniff testing and one of the ladies said it was a "myth"...

I dont know if it IS a myth or not, but if one goes into Nordstrom`s, which by the way, also began in Seattle, and is one of the more prestigious stores out here on the West Coast,
    they always have some of the nicest coffee beans to smell between samples at the women`s perfume counter or the men`s cologne counter..

I personally found this method to work very well for me...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    For whats it worth..check out Scotts latest you tube video, Dallas Paint Correction and auto detailing ...Very interesting and maybe shine some light on this
    Interesting how the photo he mentions in the video was removed less than a day later hahaha!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Interesting how the photo he mentions in the video was removed less than a day later hahaha!
    Proves how many people watch his videos.....

Post Thanks / Like

But it took you some time/experience to come to your opinion that you can ignore the 99% (which I`ll take to mean you can get good results with most products)...think about the newb who just got a new car and wants to maintain it and being overwhelmed...and endeavors to study/understand the silly-numerous different product lines. Unless I misunderstood you.
    I dunno...probably some diffs between people`s perceptions and my experience. I sure did try lots of different stuff, mostly a waste in hindsight, but I kinda enjoyed it back then and didn`t mind it it consumed a lot of [resources].

I eventually found that just concentrating on the processes, what`s actually going on and why (e.g., why does paint get marred during the wash? Why did the A8 get etched so terribly despite fresh wax? Why...) was the most beneficial thing I can do. Since then I have basically avoided Buyer`s Remorse and been able to keep our vehicles the way I want them without Detailing consuming a huge chunk of my life.

But *NO*, I did not mean to imply that people can do OK with most products! IMO many Detailing Products are a complete misfire/waste. I don`t know how people do OK with some of the [stuff] I`ve tried or withOUT some things I consider essential. But OK, whatever works for `em.

What I meant was more like, uhm...most people oughta just ignore most products/lines/maybe even processes. Keeping it *very* simple and basic is probably sufficient for most people, and enough of a challenge too. I`d think that "keep your car clean and shiny without marring it up, and protect it from cosmetic damage caused by use and the environment" is more than enough for most people.

There are a lot of product lines I`ve simply never paid any attention to, and I don`t consider it any type of loss. But eh, bet people say that about the FK1000P I recommend too, but note that I ignore everything else they sell (possible exception is FK425).

I do get the "it`s overwhelming" part, but I suspect most people just don`t go about researching/studying Detailing the way they would some other subjects, the "more important" subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs
    Wow, Richard Griot is getting up there in years! I remember way back when he was just a young whippersnapper...
    I remember when he was reasonably fit-looking. His weight gain over the past few years is disconcerting

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno...I eventually found that just concentrating on the processes, what`s actually going on and why (e.g., why does paint get marred during the wash? Why did the A8 get etched so terribly despite fresh wax? Why...) was the most beneficial thing I can do.
    The old process > product...that used to get said a lot here. Probably still should.

Post Thanks / Like

The old process > product...that used to get said a lot here. Probably still should.
    Agree, doing the wrong thing generally turns out badly no matter what you`re using. My Inner Cranky Old Guy keeps suspecting that people just don`t invest the time/effort to understand this stuff because hey, "it`s just car wax". Not like many spend a few dozen hours intensely studying [INSERT Detailing Topic] the way they would [INSERT challenging College Course].

Though once again I find myself with a bit of that Cognitive Dissonance because...

I`ve found that switching to certain products *completely* changed the game for me. Kinda incredible actually...take away a few things and there`s no way our vehicles would be this good with so little work. And some of the products that absolutely weren`t right for me still get recommended (and are presumably used by those recommending them). OK, different people are different...but still, I do wonder "what the.." a lot.

I find myself thinking "get an understanding of this stuff and then buy X,Y, and Z and there you go, oughta be easy peasy." But then I`m not analyzing my results with a glossmeter or otherwise being Uber-Autopian either (other than the "nobody/nothing touches the paint).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information