Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does One Company Have it all?

Gee, it`s great to see how Griot`s Garage has become so widely valued here at Autopia. I just can`t get over the diff between now and just a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail
    If I had to choose just one it would be hard but it would be a close tie between Griots Garage and Meguiars.
    And to think that (as best I could tell) the original GG-branded products were relabeled Meguiar`s! BTW, if that was *NOT* the case I`d like somebody to post about it; I absolutely COULD NOT discern a diff between the two and I`d used the Meguiar`s versions for ages so I`d think I could`ve noticed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, it`s great to see how Griot`s Garage has become so widely valued here at Autopia. I just can`t get over the diff between now and just a few years ago.

And to think that (as best I could tell) the original GG-branded products were relabeled Meguiar`s! BTW, if that was *NOT* the case I`d like somebody to post about it; I absolutely COULD NOT discern a diff between the two and I`d used the Meguiar`s versions for ages so I`d think I could`ve noticed.
    What years are we talking about here? I havent been around that long. lol
    Maybe thats why they are such a close tie for me and to be honest that may have been before my foray into "real" detailing. What I did back when I was younger could not be considered anything but hack work by my now/ autopia standards and back in the day I thought armor-all/ turtle wax were amazing products. Though I do remember buying Megs Gold Class when it first dropped and loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    CarPro comes close to having everything you need. If McKees added pads they could be a one stop shop. I would rather cherry pick the best from every brand. It’s hard for one company to be the best at everything.
    I agree. If you own a Rupes, their pads and polishes are color coded.

Post Thanks / Like

I recall reading some threads that were from 2014-ish where GG was not looked upon as highly as it is now. When I got into all this stuff in 2016, those threads kept me away from GG and I still haven’t ventured over to them (except for GG 6 DA). I have too much stuff now to start with them, despite all the recent accolades.

Post Thanks / Like

From my limited experience with griots before this forum to now, without a doubt in my mind the transformation from where they were to now is because of Jeff Brown. He was the main driver in the pfm, boss system (polishers, compounds, polishes, waxes, etc), and many others. I certainly use other brands besides griots such as 3d and McKees, but when it comes to polishing I`m sold on the boss system.
    @mikelambert would be a good one to chime in on griots given his transition to them recently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on how many purpose-built products you want/need. Think "pad cleaner" or "headlight coating." McKee`s comes to mind to cover nearly every base.

Shampoo
    APC
    Sealant
    Cleaner Wax
    Rinseless Wash
    Tire/Trim Gel

Give me the above from nearly any reputable company and I can can leave you with a pretty darn good looking car

Post Thanks / Like

Pbmg!

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the company`s mentioned so far do not answer the OP`s question of "Does one company have it all?" unless you intend on compounding and polishing everything by hand. This is why I said GG is 1st followed by Megs, they have their own polishers and complete lineup of everything else you`d need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I agree. If you own a Rupes, their pads and polishes are color coded.
    As are the BOSS pads/polishes from Griots

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I recall reading some threads that were from 2014-ish where GG was not looked upon as highly as it is now. When I got into all this stuff in 2016, those threads kept me away from GG and I still haven’t ventured over to them (except for GG 6 DA). I have too much stuff now to start with them, despite all the recent accolades.
    Wasn`t the change Jeff Brown taking over product development there? It seems like he`s steered it into a serious detailing company instead of a "Brookstone" or "Sharper Image" one. Maybe that`s a little too simplistic, but that`s the best I can do this morning.
    Likes RaskyR1, BadgerRivFan, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wasn`t the change Jeff Brown taking over product development there? It seems like he`s steered it into a serious detailing company instead of a "Brookstone" or "Sharper Image" one. Maybe that`s a little too simplistic, but that`s the best I can do this morning.
    Not too simplistic.....seems spot on to me.....I remember when my father in law starting using Griots stuff.....that was around 2009.....seemed like it was geared toward a small niche market.....they appear to have come `down to earth`

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Not too simplistic.....seems spot on to me.....I remember when my father in law starting using Griots stuff.....that was around 2009.....seemed like it was geared toward a small niche market.....they appear to have come `down to earth`
    Well...I`m not sure "down to earth" is how I`d describe it now that I`ve had my coffee...Accumulator noted:

So in that scenario it was like Brookstone or Sharper Image in that they used their clever catalog to sell stuff as unique that maybe wasn`t. But then some years ago they hired their own chemists, and capped that with Brownie to develop the BOSS line. So rather than "down to earth" I`d say more like they lifted themselves up to (apparently) first tier supplier.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you`ll be fine with sticking with a brand for each job you`re trying to accomplish. eg. For polishing you could use the BOSS system with Griots, coatings and prep with CarPro, etc. It would be silly to have blind loyalty to a brand instead of choosing the best products for your needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots as a one stop shop is hard to beat. I currently use their interior products, machines and pads, spray wax, speed shine and best of show detailer. Used other products in the past, but all work well. I happen to enjoy mixing and matching, but in a pinch I would stick with Griots without worry. As a bonus you can get a lot of product locally and it is the same stuff they sell online. Much less confusing than dealing with Meguiar`s multiple lines.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info Re GG...I`ve never paid any attention to the Behind-the-Scenes stuff there, never heard of Mr. Brown, etc.

Gotta admit I didn`t think of "buy the polisher from `em too", but that`s been going on for a while with some vendors too; I got my first Cyclo through Malm`s Wax, even had a Malm`s sticker on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information