Thread: Lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Lessons

Seems like this section of DC is a little slow, and if we (as pros) want to grow and grow we must learn from eachother. So, i thought a thread of lessons we have learned from being "in the field" would be a great way to learn from eachother so that we can make less mistakes and more money
    I will start off. The other day i detailed a car inside in the garage and had to open the lights inside the car to get more light. When i was done the battery was dead and i had to jump start the car. I learned not to leave the lights on and if i have to then letting the engine fun for a few minutes every hour or so would be a good idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lessons

I use a plastic rake to get stuff out from under the seats now. I read about a detailer who reached under a seat and came out with a hyperdermic needle under his fingernail and I decided it isn`t worth the risk. Good thing too beacuse I have come up with all sorts of stuff under the seats that you wouldn`t want to grab with your eyes closed.

I also wear rubber gloves while detailing now. Not only does it save your skin from getting all dried out from the polishes, but you also don`t have to worry about the health hazzards of some of the junk we have to clean up. Rubber gloves are a must if you are a detailer.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamW
    Seems like this section of DC is a little slow, and if we (as pros) want to grow and grow we must learn from eachother. So, i thought a thread of lessons we have learned from being "in the field" would be a great way to learn from eachother so that we can make less mistakes and more money
    I will start off. The other day i detailed a car inside in the garage and had to open the lights inside the car to get more light. When i was done the battery was dead and i had to jump start the car. I learned not to leave the lights on and if i have to then letting the engine fun for a few minutes every hour or so would be a good idea!
    When working on sound systems or such. I just hook up a battery charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Lessons

door jam cleaning spray jams with good deagreser let sit for a while use pressure washer at close range to blast away dirt and grim saves lots of time and elbow grease.

Post Thanks / Like

before detailing a vehicle walk around the car with your client and point out interior and exterior defects be upfront and honest about what you can correct and what you can not also always pad your time if a detail takes you four hours tell the client five this gives you time to really concentrate on troubled areas or if your like me I have my wife inspect the final product women tend to be more detail oriented.

Anything but Boring.... Fishpimp's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a leaf blower to blow debris from under seats before i vacuum.... Gets all the little crumbs....

Formerly TexasTB Tex Star Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman
    I use a plastic rake to get stuff out from under the seats now. I read about a detailer who reached under a seat and came out with a hyperdermic needle under his fingernail and I decided it isn`t worth the risk. Good thing too beacuse I have come up with all sorts of stuff under the seats that you wouldn`t want to grab with your eyes closed.

I also wear rubber gloves while detailing now. Not only does it save your skin from getting all dried out from the polishes, but you also don`t have to worry about the health hazzards of some of the junk we have to clean up. Rubber gloves are a must if you are a detailer.

I CANNOT AGREE MORE with this. When I was at a car lot detailing, I had a TRASHED car come in. Trash was packed, and I mean packed, under the seat. So bad that the seat would not moved back and forth. I reached under a few times pulling out crap, and BAM...my hand was covered in blood. I had cut the tip of my finger 3/4 off from a nasty razor blade. I quickly poured alcohol on it..OUCH...and went straight to the hospital to get it cleaned out and a tet. shot. What did I get out of it.....nothing but a lesson.
    I cannot feel with that tip of the finger now...I take a time now to get on my hands and knees to look under seats.

(Also pulled a used tampon out from under a seat.....)
    "In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jngrbrdman

That is actually a smart idea...if I had a needle stuck in my finger or nail, I would probably have a heart attack worrying about what I could get.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea on starting this thread!

When cleaning the accel - brake and clutch pedals, I hit them with a little APC while spotting the carpet. Then I spray the pedals off with the hot water from the extractor when doing the driver`s side floor. The pedals come out looking new without much effort.

Dave
    Extreme Clean ~ Extreme Shine
    "Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." - Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t negotiate the price of a detail BEFORE you`ve seen the car (unless it`s a friend or family member)!

Post Thanks / Like

upon completion of service always leave a few busines cards on the driver seat of the vehicle and thank the client for their business.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with protecting your hands and also being careful when removing stuff from customer`s vehicles. I`ve had negative experiences with both.

BTW, this is a good thread. I too would like to see more posting in the Pro section.
    AJ

Post Thanks / Like

I found that using compressed air at 60-70 PSI with a trigger blowgun under the seats and in all creaveses between , on and around the seats works like a charm and saves a TON of time. I also use 35-40 PSI and the blowgun on the vents after spraying anti microbial / anti mold agents into the vents, followed by a light coat of interior dressing. This allows the dressing to even distribute in teh vents without puddling or uneven coverage. I follow up with a dust free cotton towel.

When the detail is complete, I always give myself 10-15 minutes outside in sunlight to look over the car and verify that ever crack and crevace is clean. Then I leave a business card on teh intrument cluster or shifter bezel and a sample size of interior dressing in a clear bottle with a description of the product , and business name and phone number.

Thread Information